VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Duce in the Hole
    Search Comp PM
    i video record my son's football and lacrosse teams. after the games i use the video to create the stats for the games. then i combine the multiple clips, editiing/croping the clips for dead time during the game and produce 1 video for each of the 4 quarters of the game for the coaches and 1 video of the entire game for the players/families.

i just switched to a jvc gc-px100 camcorder set to AVCHD Progressive: 1920x1080/60p, 28Mbps.

I was using media player classic to view and create stats for the games, but it has no reverse or reverse slo-mo which makes it somewhat difficult to use for this purpose. then i use tsmuxer to edit and combine the tracks and then convert to a more univeral mp4 or mov format. i've been experimenting with the jvc media editor for this and it works ok, but it lacks features and is very slow. plus this process requires that I go through the entire game several times as I cannot create stats, edit and crop at the same time.

so i guess i am looking for an editor/player that will allow me to slo-mo and reverse slo-mo through video clips. edit/crop the clips then produce them into a more univeral format without losing too much video quality. I know there are hundreds of editors out there, but i'm trying to avoid installing, testing and uninstalling all of them. i don't mind paying though I have often found that freeware works better. thanks for your help.

DaveD
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JuanD View Post
    I know there are hundreds of editors out there, but i'm trying to avoid installing, testing and uninstalling all of them. i don't mind paying though I have often found that freeware works better. thanks for your help.
    DaveD
    Hi DaveD!
    You can look at this video editor https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/360967-AviUtl-video-tutorial (no need to install/portable)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by JuanD View Post
    often found that freeware works better
    I'd say , in this category, video-editing, with slow-mo, elaborate editing, use pay version, Vegas Platinum for example, if you do it very often, it is worth getting, download it first and test it before you buy it
    Quote Quote  
  4. Duce in the Hole
    Search Comp PM
    gravitator

thanks for the link. just finished reading but need to watch the vids. some of it is going straight over my head.

will take a look at vegas, last time i tried regular commercial video editing (pinnacle ver 8 i think) i was very disappointed in the loss of video quality.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=JuanD;2306565... last time i tried regular commercial video editing (pinnacle ver 8 i think) i was very disappointed in the loss of video quality.[/QUOTE]

Comparing pinnacle to vegas is like comparing a mule cart to a Benz.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Agree with Hoser Rob. You're going nowhere with budget editors. And working with lossy encoded HD to do what you want using those editors and lossy media will produce a very nice collection of thoroughly wrecked videos. Better put on your study cap and stay away from BestBuy. You'll need Avisynth for sure. You can try Vegas Pro, but you're best off with something like After Effects Pro. You'll need a better encoder than most of the high-end apps will give you with their scaled-down versions of MainConcept, but I guess they'll do. Try x264 versions or TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works to encode for a lower-cost way around the 4-digit figures that many HD encoders will cost.

Save yourself some headaches and go for 1280x720 if possible. In any case you'll need an i5 machine or better and a couple of SATA hard drives. Understand that AVCHD and its ilk are not designed for "editing". They are final-delivery formats that can get ruined doing what you want with typical methods. If you're thinking of Pinnacle and other sub-$100, all-in-one, just-click-here software, you're in for a big disappointment.

Or you can get worse-than-average results and spend a few evenings with Power Director. But few would advise it.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 03:46.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    You'll need Avisynth for sure.
    that is a scarecrow, he does not need that

Vegas is ok, (or Premiere, Magix perhaps also) if you have any problem after exporting, quality wise etc., just ask here again, you need to mention properties of original video and roughly what you export for, then you'd be told what to do, to correct that export template or to correct project properties ...
    Last edited by _Al_; 6th Mar 2014 at 12:55.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't agree with any of that.

Magix ? ?

The O.P. seems to want quality output. A little research required, considering what's desired. You mean Premiere Pro? Why?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Duce in the Hole
    Search Comp PM
    I appreciate your inputs. $700 (for vegas) is beyond my budget for what is rapidly becoming an expensive hobby. Already in hot water for spending $$$ on new camcorder, accessories and gizmos and gadgets for it.

Everything that follows are just a few random thoughts:

I tried avisynth years ago which didn't lead to a good ending (my fault not the software's). Settled on virtual dub which i liked and used for years till video went HD.

Camera capable of recording in
    • avchd 60p, to my eye the best vid quality of the three
    • mov 1080p LPCM
    • mp4 1080p

I was looking for software to speed up process, but I guess all that speed costs money or a steep learning curve.

for now i'll just stick with my cobbled together method, it works, but its cumbersome and slow.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Vegas Platinum, not Pro version, Premiere Elements not Premiere Pro or Magix Movie Edit (suppose to have smart render working, that is why I mention that one)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    And working with lossy encoded HD to do what you want using those editors and lossy media will produce a very nice collection of thoroughly wrecked videos.
    According to that premise, everyone is making junk, even the camera produces compressed video. Apple can afford to spread the notion that anything less that ProRes is junk because they don't make cameras. Let's see a camera that shoots lossless uncompressed video.

A "football Highlights" video falls in the category of "Broadcast Quality". BQ simply means made for TV. Certainly all the better NLE's, including the "studio" editions, are capable of Broadcast quality.

The OP has purchased a nice camcorder, and already discovered that 1080p60 offers the best spatial/temporal result for recording football. Not necessary to rain on his parade. Hahaha

Leonardo painted with his fingers, yet was the greatest artist of his time.

I never saw bloopers on TV before I got into editing. As editors, we tend to see the flubs. But the average viewer does not see them.

Nobody shoots and then uses that exact footage, unless it's live. It's all been re-rendered. All digital art is done in layers and flattened(rendered) before proceeding. Without prerendering, the whole industry would fall apart.
    Last edited by budwzr; 6th Mar 2014 at 15:01.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JuanD View Post
    Already in hot water for spending $$$ on new camcorder, accessories and gizmos and gadgets for it.
    So you have nails, but no hammer. The NLE is most important. A decent NLE can produce silk from a sow's ear. Go get the cheapest Sony Movie Studio. You can always upgrade it later for full value.

Get started on solid ground with a proven American-Made NLE, with a long history.

Wives will never approve, so you have to be slick. Give up on something else to score credits. Remind them that this hobby keeps you home and out of trouble. And do some family videos too.

Hehehe
    Last edited by budwzr; 6th Mar 2014 at 15:12.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    None of the so-called smart-rendering editors will smart render if you apply filters or effects. Sorry.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    None of the so-called smart-rendering editors will smart render if you apply filters or effects. Sorry.
    That's why Smart Rendering is only good for cutting out commercials.

If you're editing camera footage into a final production, like the OP, then it has little value. I have a promo copy of SolveigMM and thought it was useful, but I have yet to actually use it. It's a solution without a problem.

Vegas does "Smart Rendering" too, but the purpose is to cut down on the render time for straight cuts. But to get it to work, you have to be in Mpeg2, which is lossy, and no current cameras shoot Mpeg2 anymore, so you'd have to convert it.
    Last edited by budwzr; 6th Mar 2014 at 15:47.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    This is what concerns you and some of workflows used in restoration process, filters can revive image ,it is sometimes unbelievable , I saw what you can do, mostly aimed for SD sources I guess, some kind of resurrection of video, but I'm afraid statistically those who correct picture today shot originaly with camcorder (hopefylly at least descent one, home videos, outdoor games, even by videographers) is closing to zero I'd say. High definition makes video look better enough, auto white balance is much better then decade ago, so if you color or correct picture you either ruin your natural looking picture (even videographers on an account doing some art). I'd certainly would not want to my home video look like Matrix or enhance some color, why anyway, all of this is only a trend, that might disappear in decade, when people will be fed up with artificial whatever and demand real thing ( colors, whatever, food )
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It's not a matter of removing noise or correcting color. There should be none of those problems with an HD video camera, assuming the user knows what to do. Do you know what re-encoding is? If you start with no noise and go through multiple re-encodes, you will be in the restoration forum asking how to repair the damage.There is no sense processing good HD video and making it look like VHS in the end.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Duce in the Hole
    Search Comp PM
    Well that helps. I'm not looking to have a polished, cool production with fades and wipes, I just want nice quality HD video of the kids slamming into each other.

I think what I am looking for is smart rendering. No need to churn the files through another codec. Just snip the parts like time-outs and change of possessions that I don't want and have the smart render software put humpty dumpty back together again. I'm going to download SolveigMM Video splitter try that. And maybe try _Al_'s suggestion of Vegas Plat (so i was off by $600) unless it requires an mpeg2 source.

Many thanks to all of you again. Everytime I come to this site I learn alot (sometimes alot more than I wanted to) about video, editing, demuxing, codecs etc etc. And I think I'm now off in the right direction.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Duce in the Hole
    Search Comp PM
    And a simple question. Does Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum ($63 thank you very much) support smart rending of AVCHD .mts files? or is it not that simple. I can't figure it out from their website.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    It's not a matter of removing noise or correcting color. There should be none of those problems with an HD video camera, assuming the user knows what to do. Do you know what re-encoding is? If you start with no noise and go through multiple re-encodes, you will be in the restoration forum asking how to repair the damage.There is no sense processing good HD video and making it look like VHS in the end.
    I specificaly mentioned one sofware that might exporting smart , who cares about some short parts with cross-desolves, titles, what is your lossless NLE that you recommend if you stand on those principles that it is actually usable? Nobody is making VHS looking videos. I'd recommend to you download some avchd footage and encode it do HD, CRF 18 and lower, where from regular viewing distance ( not leaning and looking for difference, nobody does) you will not see any difference to original.

Anyway, one generation loss is nothing. Everybody is doing that. And those who value their videos keep originals, why would you oppose to that? If you want to edit seriously you need one of those NLE , there is no way around it. You seem not to edit, maybe you cannot see that.
    That remark if I know what re-encoding is is a pretty under belt punch.
    Last edited by _Al_; 6th Mar 2014 at 17:35.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by JuanD View Post
    And a simple question. Does Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum ($63 thank you very much) support smart rending of AVCHD .mts files? or is it not that simple. I can't figure it out from their website.
    most likely not, for that test, Power Director or Magix
    Quote Quote  
  21. Duce in the Hole
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gravitator View Post
    Hi DaveD!
    You can look at this video editor https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/360967-AviUtl-video-tutorial (no need to install/portable)
    I tried AviUtl without success, seems it has trouble playing and editing my video files. thanks for the suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by JuanD View Post
    Originally Posted by Gravitator View Post
    Hi DaveD!
    I tried AviUtl without success, seems it has trouble playing and editing my video files. thanks for the suggestion.
    Can you please upload a short sample for test?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=_Al_;2306684]
    Anyway, one generation loss is nothing. Everybody is doing that. And those who value their videos keep originals, why would you oppose to that? If you want to edit seriously you need one of those NLE , there is no way around it. You seem not to edit, maybe you cannot see that.
    That remark if I know what re-encoding is is a pretty under belt punch.
    Sorry, didn't mean it that way. I'm sure you know what encoding is, just wanted to emphasize the point. Yes, I do use NLE's. After Effects Pro is an NLE, among other things. TMPGenc Mastering Works has time-line edit features. I've broken 90-minute VHS movies into well over 100 segments, corrected each one, and joined them again in those apps and in TMPGenc MPEG Editor. I record 4 to 7 HD TV shows or movies every week on my PVR, and they're edited for commercials, lead-in and lead-out segments. Sometimes I record 4 hours of 2 or 3 movies in a row and cut them into 3 different videos. It's done with smart-rendering and, if they need it, with lossless work files.

And you're correct: many users wouldn't know 2nd generation encodes, or 3 or 4 or 5 generations. They just want a few icons to click and let things take their course while they eat dinner. I'm under the impression that our forum isn't limited to a certain level of work or advisement. When someone asks for advice about "highest quality", you and I both know the answers they already expect, but I don't limit myself to the assumption that what everyone means by "quality" isn't always a synonym for "quickest/easiest/cheapest". But quite often, that's what it boils down to for most viewers.

Ah, me. End of rant. Not to demean anyone's interests or suggestions, really. Even I am surprised by the number of posts of this type that I bypass, knowing what the results will be if I take the "quality" business too seriously. I didn't come to this forum years ago to learn what an "editor' was. I had Pinnacle 8 figured out in 20 minutes (Yes, I know: what took me so long? Slow reader. I guess, LOL!). By that time i knew that what I was looking at wasn't what I wanted, so I came here for something more.

The owner of the video can pick and choose, of course. Who knows, the O.P. might be back for more of this confusion later.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by JuanD View Post

so i guess i am looking for an editor/player that will allow me to slo-mo and reverse slo-mo through video clips. edit/crop the clips then produce them into a more univeral format without losing too much video quality. I know there are hundreds of editors out there, but i'm trying to avoid installing, testing and uninstalling all of them. i don't mind paying though I have often found that freeware works better. thanks for your help.

DaveD
    So, if what you need is primarily slow-motion transformation only, have a look at this thread:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/361718-Slow-Motion-s-w
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's another one for slomo http://www.spirton.com/convert-videos-to-60fps/

It interpolates the new fields like Twixter. I use this one myself, and it does a very good job.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Duce in the Hole
    Search Comp PM
    I found my solution in SolveigMM Video Splitter. While it doesn't do exactly what I wanted to (probably only custom software would to things exactly the way I wanted), it does everything I need well and the video output is lossless. As always, the discussions here led me to a great solution.

The best part is I only loaded 5 pieces of software before I found a solution.

Feel free to continue to discuss among yourselves the mistakes and misleads in my original post and why my solution is or isn't the best one, Ha! (not a thumbing my nose Ha! but a laughing at myself Ha!)

Again, many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  27. ok then,
    you do not edit your video, you just trim it, you lowered your demands, how about your demand to make slo-mo, anyway, you got what you feel to have and makes you comfortable
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by JuanD View Post
    It renders AVCHD content with an mp4, m2ts, or avc extension.
    Quote Quote