Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. This one is darker
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, well. Good effort, Cherbette. Looks like that noise is in the original, likely broadcast that way. Either that, or the owner's VCR had a problem. Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the new copy.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 03:22.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well at least the darks are better in this last one (i hope) and the highlights lol
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I dug up that DeStripe plugin and gave it a whirl. As I recalled as soon as I saw the preview in VDub, the filter makes stripes vanish but sure can soften a video. When the results come rolling out from that filter they sure don't look like much, so I spent half the day working out ways to combine DeStripe with the other cleaners. The magic combo never showed up, so I guess the sequence of filters doesn't matter. Meanwhile it's too damn late here to get up a post tonight. See you folks tomorrow. Sleep required for continued operation.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 03:22.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    I dug up that DeStripe plugin and gave it a whirl. As I recalled as soon as I saw the preview in VDub, the filter makes stripes vanish but sure can soften a video. When the results come rolling out from that filter they sure don't look like much, so I spent half the day working out ways to combine DeStripe with the other cleaners. The magic combo never showed up, so I guess the sequence of filters doesn't matter. Meanwhile it's too damn late here to get up a post tonight. See you folks tomorrow. Sleep required for continued operation.
    Just by your posts I can tell you've spent many a late night on such ventures, as have I. Always a good moment when that magic combo does arrive with a solution.

But, currently with my VHS project almost complete on my end (finally after many years), I've pretty much been in semi-retirement mode with filter experimentation. Neat Video seems to be the best of all for most cases.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cherbette: Do you have a NON-Sony VCR? I've had miserable results with some.

I have a Panny AG-1980 that puts out nice quality - better than the 6 head Philips or JVCs that I used before it.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Thank you so much for your dedication to the project. I know my buddy Jeff is watching over and happy that his footage is being given the royal treatment lol
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by classfour View Post
    Cherbette: Do you have a NON-Sony VCR? I've had miserable results with some.

I have a Panny AG-1980 that puts out nice quality - better than the 6 head Philips or JVCs that I used before it.
    I do have another but it's a JVC I believe. I could try another rip.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The one I'm using now is a SQPB Sony
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cherbette View Post
    The one I'm using now is a SQPB Sony
    Isn't that a line of DVD/VCR combos?

Attached mpg: what a trek. DeStripe gets rid of the stripes, all right, and lots of the rest of it. No stripes, but puts out a video that looks almost out of focus. Had a heck of a time getting some fake "detail" back in. Each camera shot was processed separately. I hate VHS. In the attached, first two shots need more work (they all need work. I hate VHS). Second shot (the yellow one) is too dark. Anyway, the stripes are mostly gone. Did I mention that there are about 4 layers of noise in this tape? One layer had stripes going the other way. After you get rid of most of the noise, the MPG is what's left -- which isn't much. Could stand some more tweaking, but I'm tweaked out for the time being.

NeatVideo and other Denoisers have no effect on those stripes. They don't move or change much, so denoisers don't see them as "noise".

I hate VHS. Did I say that?
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 03:23.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I've been toying with a virtualdub plugin called frequency suppressor of the noise and it seems to remove alot of those lines. Any advice on that one?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Leaves some behi9nd (the stripes that are slanted to the left, and some that are slanted to the right). I tried that one a few years back. It softens the image, too, just not as much. Don't use its sharpener (it's horrible), and works best on deinterlaced source. It depends on how much of the "leftovers" you're willing to live with, and you'll have to take measures to prevent banding in some shots.

I can give it a try later.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'd like to retain as much of the detail as possible especially since VHS is so lo-res to begin with. I'm not overly concerned about the lines being completely eliminated. It's not all that distracting IMO. Was this last darker clip better as far as retaining the highlights that were blown?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Better black levels helped the brighst.

You have to run that "fns" filter twice to get rid of all of it, then there's still some cleanup. I can play with it later tonight.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I also found this:
    http://alvator.narod.ru/articles/wnr/wnr_help.html

Not sure how helpful it would be in this situation.
    Quote Quote  
  16. SLV N700 is the model on that Sony. I don't know what I was looking at. JVC is HR A592U
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cherbette View Post
    I also found this:
    http://alvator.narod.ru/articles/wnr/wnr_help.html

Not sure how helpful it would be in this situation.
    Same method as DeStripe, not as clean.

Attached, two versions of cher_darker. Same script as earlier with a few modifications, DeStripe replaced with the VirtualDub fsn.vdf filter. Some slight noise remaining, but it wipes out less detail than DeStripe does. I also used very low-octane NeatVideo as a final tweak, but not everyone owns a copy of it. A= no clor corrections. B=color corrections. One can always suit levels and color to taste.

It'll take a while to clean up the scripts.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 03:24.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I tried the FSN in combination with Neat Video and got a pretty good result too. The color I'm still learning. It's a bit more technical it seems.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I tried it, but no real need for NeatVideo this time. Scripts attached for the previous post.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I'm having trouble finding HQdering.avs
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Tough to find this evening, looks as if doom9 is down again. Phooey. You'll also need deen.dll. Both are attached in HQDering.zip. You'll also need FineSharp.avs, attached. These were all posted in earlier threads here, but I couldn't find 'em.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Thanks so much. I managed to get the first one working. Toying with it now.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    And Donald Graft's Smart Smooth Virtualdub Plugin v1.1: http://neuron2.net/smooth11.zip.

Santiag.avsi is another toughie to find. Attached below.

GradFun3 and the "dither" colorspace converters are in the Dither plugin package. Doom9 is down again, so visit another website for a quickie note on the idea of the dither package -- like, a whole paragraph on it (http://ldesoras.free.fr/prod.html#src_ditheravsi) -- and the dither download link: http://ldesoras.free.fr/src/avs/dither-1.25.1.zip . Too bad doom9 is down, there's a really really detailed thread on the package, getting to be several pages long....for those who have time to spare.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 03:25.
    Quote Quote  
  24. For the last script I cannot find GradFun3. I did not see it in the Dither plugin package unless I'm missing it.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    GradFun3 is a function in one of the dither avsi's (dither.avsi), along with the colorspace conversion functions. The script shows the handful of pieces that are required to run everything in the package. Like a few other complex plugins, it uses all of the "dither" support files shown. Many people often use dither for several common operations with VHS to prevent banding and other issues because of all the "disturbances" in VHS.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 03:25.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I've been so busy at work but I came back here to revisit this. What's the "-30-" all about?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It would seem that sanlyn, or someone posing as him/her, is going back and editing out nearly (but not) ALL of his/her posts (or whomever posted as him/her).
    Don't know if it's because of hurt feelings, disagreement with others, banning,... or what, but it sure takes a LOT of time to have gone back through month's, if not year's, worth of posts and re-edit them. I would have expected some kind of "explanation", but maybe not.
    Of course, any quote from his will still be listed, so it's not like it would all be completely "gone".

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    It would seem that sanlyn, or someone posing as him/her, is going back and editing out nearly (but not) ALL of his/her posts (or whomever posted as him/her).
    Don't know if it's because of hurt feelings, disagreement with others, banning,... or what, but it sure takes a LOT of time to have gone back through month's, if not year's, worth of posts and re-edit them. I would have expected some kind of "explanation", but maybe not.
    Of course, any quote from his will still be listed, so it's not like it would all be completely "gone".

Scott
    "30" is writer's shorthand for end of story. It's sanlyn himself doing this. He had a meltdown in another thread and started deleting posts to get back at this website in general because this place has too many "knuckle-draggers" who do not agree with his point of view in a number of areas. (I'm one of them.) ...or maybe its his way of saying he never should have joined a low-class forum like this one. At any rate, he decided to go and take his ball and bat with him.

The Wayback Machine Internet archive preserves a lot of stuff. Might be worth a look.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Mar 2014 at 13:24. Reason: accuracy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia
    Actually I found one still intact.

Oh wait. It's just been edited. My bad.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia
    Actually I found one still intact.

Oh wait. It's just been edited. My bad.
    No, Sanlyn's bad.
    Quote Quote