VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I got this for £50 over the weekend it worked fine I started to tweak the settings the remote no longer works, nor does my other soy dvd recorder remote for my main dvd recorder.

I'm at a loss on what to do, i tried the reset ect nothing unless I'm missing out something?

You don't suppose the sensor has gone do you? plz help if not im gettin a refund, I thought I'd try here before i go all guns a blazin.
    Quote Quote  
  2. This usually means you accidentally changed the infrared code matchup between the remote control handset and the recorder. Sony DVD/HDD recorders have three different code set options to choose from (1, 2, or 3) which allows owners of multiple Sony products to use them in the same room. The factory default code is 3: look closely at the front panel display and see if a small number 1 or 2 is lit up. If so, the recorder has been changed from the default 3 code (when set to 3, no number at all lights up in the display).

Whichever code shows on the front panel needs to be matched on the remote itself. Take the 860 remote into another room, away from your Sony recorders. Then change the handset code by pressing the central Enter/OK button, and while holding it down press and hold the 1, 2 or 3 button to match what number the recorder is using. Keep both buttons pressed for about ten seconds. Release, and the remote code will be changed. Then try the remote with your 860 recorder and it should work. If not, there might be something wrong with the remote receiver circuit in the unit.

Older Sony recorders have the same three codes but label them as A, B or C instead of 1, 2 or 3.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope it's appropriate for me to continue from here as I have a somewhat related issue.

Recently I got a used RDR HX-980 without the remote control.
    But before I source for the actual remote for this, how am i to know/test if remote receiver/IR panel of the set works?
    I tried to test using some old Sony remotes and shouldn't it at least able to power on and off the set?

Anything I can use to test and check? Any other models of remote that is compatible?
    Any advice and ideas would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It is very very unlikely that the remote sensor of your 980 is "dead" - it uses the same parts as the equivalent Pioneer model, and in ten years repairing dozens of Pioneers I've never encountered one with a dead remote sensor. The IR codes of the remotes for each Sony model series differ somewhat, so random old remotes might not be able to operate your 980.

As mentioned in earlier posts, turn the unit on and look closely at the front panel. If you see a small number 1 or 2 lit up, the previous owner has set the IR code to an alternate that won't work with random old remotes or universals. You would need the matching RMT-D246A handset that originally came with the 980 recorder, which can be switched to that same 1 or 2 frequency.

If you don't see a lit 1 or 2 in the front display, the unit is most likely set to the default 3 frequency, and should be responsive to some older remotes or universals. The trick is finding a compatible remote: the 980 may not respond to a remote that came with an older or non-HDD Sony recorder. If you really don't want to pay for the original remote, you could buy a cheap or second-hand Sony-branded universal remote and try programming it with various Sony recorder code numbers.
    Last edited by orsetto; 12th Sep 2014 at 11:28.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your detailed reply Orsetto.

For an experienced person repairing Pioneers, i felt relieved (and happy) when you say you've never encountered one with a dead remote sensor.

How I derived to that assumption is that the set somehow has kind-of-like a sticker covering the sensor area. I was thinking it could be a sign to show 'Remote not working' or something like that. I tried using other Sony remote controls as well, for TV, old VCRs, and even Pioneer remote VXX2910, thinking it could at least show it can power on and off the set.

I recall the seller saying it could be placed in public area whereby they don't allow people to use the remote to access other functions. And that under usage somehow didn't make them use much of remote. (And thus lost it...?)

While I am determined to get the remote control for this, (searching in the internet for RMT D250P, or a duplication of it), I recalled having an RMT D231P chucked away somewhere, after prying it open and trying to fix it some months back. I could only get some of the buttons working due to a battery corrosion. Manage to find it, tested it on the RDR HX-980 and it worked wonderfully!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Glad to hear you were able to verify it works! The 980 is a very nice recorder.

Yours was apparently once used to run a display in a public kiosk. The sticker you found partly covering the remote sensor was put there to artificially block the sensor, so no random signals (fluorescent lighting, other remotes) would interrupt playback or recording. You should be able to remove most of the sticker residue by cleaning the area with a bit of 90% Isopropyl Alcohol (available from any pharmacy). Moisten a clean cloth with it, and rub/dab the area until the gluey mess comes off. There is also a specialty cleaning fluid called "Goo Be Gone" which is very effective at removing sticker residue, but it may not be available in Singapore.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the all the info and advice.
    No worries about the gluey mess. I wouldn't put so much effort on the outer appearance of it, so long as everything can function normally.

Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    The 980 is a very nice recorder.
    I think nice is an understatement. I feel that it could be one of the best.
    Quote Quote