VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello you happy videohelpers

I encounter a problem I can't explain, which bothers me a little. Maybe you can enlight me.

I created a clip with DVD Shrink (it's a part of the wonderful movie Lagaan). The format is PAL 720x576 This is a screen capture :

As I want to add karaoke subtitles created with aegisub, I open the clip with VirtualDubMod, it becomes ugly :

I have found how to handle it : by using The Resize Filter this way :

For me, it means that VDM wants to see my clip in NTSC ! How mischievous !

But how can I open the clip with VDM, without having to resize ? And why is the height too big at the opening ?

So long ! And don't forget to buy the Lagaan DVD, I consider it as the best Bollywood movie I have seen.
    Last edited by Patapin; 7th Mar 2014 at 08:30. Reason: My title was wrong
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The image in vdub represents the true pixels. Vdub is not resizing it to correct the aspect.
    The first image has been displayed by the software to show the image after aspect ratio correction.

In Vdub, you can right click the image and select 4x3, 16x9, etc,etc - what ever it's supposed to be.
    It's not actually changing the pixels, only the display (as it should be).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi davexnet,

thank you for your suggestion. Actually, VDM does resize the ratio !
    After creating the video (no compression) with VDB, I remark it is as ugly as the second image I joined.
    It is unbelievable...

There is something I must be missing...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure what you mean. Whether the original DVD is supposed to be 4x3 or 16x9 (it looks like 16x9 above),
    the actual pixels are still 720x576 (PAL). It is resized by the device/software/display when watched to display either 4x3 or 16x9.
    However, when you open it in Virtualdub, the absolute pixels size is displayed, so it looks distorted as above.

For mpeg-2, this is normal.. But if you need to create an avi, you should resize to 1:1 pixels for example 4x3, 640/480,
    or 16x9, 640x360.
    Last edited by davexnet; 5th Mar 2014 at 14:53.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Davexnet is correct. The frame size for PAL DVD is 720x576. The frame size for NTSC DVD is 720x480. PAL and NTSC can display PAL or NTSC video in a media player or a TV at 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratios. When you open the video in an editor (like VirtualDub or any other editor) the frames will be displayed at their actual frame size, not at their playback size. VirtualDub is not a media player; it's an editor.

If your video is PAL, why are you resizing to 720x480? Why are you resizing interlaced or telecined video? Why are you using VirtualDubMod?

Very strange....
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 03:47.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    To say it another way, VdubMod is the one app you are using that is showing you exactly how it TRULY is stored. All the other apps are stretching it (or "correcting" it, as that is the AR that was intended).

VdubMod can be made to do that also, it just doesn't do that by default.

@sanlyn, many editors do default to applying aspect ratio correction.

@Patapin, if you are using Vdm to play your movies, there are other, better player apps out there (some default to honoring AR correction, some don't, but many will give you the option).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. What are you trying to do? Create an XviD AVI? If so open the IFO (if subs are wanted) or the first VOB in AutoGK. It'll take care of the resizing to 1:1 square pixels. As mentioned, what you see in VDub is how it's stored on the DVD, not how it's intended to be viewed. The 16:9 DAR of the DVD tells the player how it's to be stretched out so you can view it in the right aspect ratio.

AutoGK also accepts external subs (but not ASS subs) by using the CTRL/F8 trick. You can also resize within VDubMod to 1024x576 or some other 1.78:1 ratio (or crop and resize down to a 2.39:1 ratio resolution or whatever it is.).

And while Lagaan is good - very good - it's not in my own top 10 list of Indian films.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry for double post...
    Last edited by Patapin; 6th Mar 2014 at 05:48.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all of you, and thank you for your precious remarks : it does enlight me, a lot !

The informations you wrote are extremely interesting, I didn't know the quarter of them ! I find it very strange than VDM displays the exact ratio. That would mean that my TV stretches my Lagaan ?

For making short, here what I intend to do : create a DVD (best possible quality) with many video-clips having karaoke effects, without spending a lot of money.

1. RIP : First I use DVD Shrink or FAB or FVC (Freemake Video Converter) or PGCdemux, to extract clip from DVDs (sometimes PAL, sometimes NTSC). --> I get VOB files
    2. Effects : I open aegisub to create karaoke subs --> I get ass files
    3. Encode : I hardcode the subs with VDM --> I get avi files
    4. Authoring : Then I use DVD Styler or FVC to create DVDs --> I get ifo, bup and vob files
    5. Burning : I burn the DVD, with Nero express or CDBurnerXP

And now, some results that amaze me :
    Step 1 : reading my clip with WMP or VLC seems OK : they display the good ratio (see my first image)
    Step 2 : aegisub displays : good
    Step 3 : VDM shows me the bad ratio (as on my second image) : too high (or too narrow)
    Step 4 : WMP or VLC displays now the bad ratio !
    Step 5 : Incredible : reading the DVD with my LG Blu-Ray driver displays the good ratio on my TV !!!

So it was the display on my PC which was bad after step 3.

@sanlyn : sorry, I don't understand "interlaced or telecined video" terms. I'll search them on Google. But thank you for the ratio information.

@davexnet : thanks for the tip for the avi ratio 1:1

@Cornucopia : VDM is just for creating the avi file. I read my clips with WMP on my PC to check, then I burn them on DVDs. Thank you for the ratio information

@manono : thanks for the tip for Xvid ratio 1:1. And... what are your best indian movies ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Oh, the AVI is an intermediate step towards making a DVD? Then I hope you're using a lossless codec and not XviD or DivX.

Since you're burning your subs into the 720x576 video, after encoding for DVD at 16:9 the subs (along with the video) get stretched out. The subs may be too 'wide' or 'fat' as a result. So I hope you're using a narrow or 'slender' font so the text looks reasonably 'normal' after being resized during DVD playback.

My favorites? They're all much older than Lagaan.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I hope you're using a lossless codec and not XviD or DivX.
    Yes ! I do not compress at all. I get a 10 Gigas file for a 5mn clip. I once use lagarith codec, but I lose a tiny bit of quality for no real size gain..

My favorites? They're all much older than Lagaan.
    I would love to know what are your likes. I've a few oldies, and some of them are very nice : Madhumati, Guide, Ram aur Shyam, Naya Daur, Satyam Shivam Sundaram, and Shree 420.

Since you're burning your subs into the 720x576 video, after encoding for DVD at 16:9 the subs (along with the video) get stretched out. The subs may be too 'wide' or 'fat' as a result. So I hope you're using a narrow or 'slender' font so the text looks reasonably 'normal' after being resized during DVD playback.
    Exactly ! Very pertinent and considerate Arial narrow was my choice.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Patapin View Post
    I hope you're using a lossless codec and not XviD or DivX.
    Yes ! I do not compress at all. I get a 10 Gigas file for a 5mn clip. I once use lagarith codec, but I lose a tiny bit of quality for no real size gain..
    Apparently you are capturing to uncompressed RGB and screwing up your source levels. The images you posted show bad dark crushing and detail loss.

Lagarith is a lossless compressor with no quality loss.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 03:47.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Patapin View Post
    I once use lagarith codec, but I lose a tiny bit of quality for no real size gain...
    As sanlyn mentioned, Lagarith is good. Maybe you're making RGB Lagariths. You can configure it to YV12, same as the source DVDs, and there'll be no quality loss. There shouldn't be anyway, but you'll also make smaller sized files by doing so (if you made RGB Lagariths before).
    I've a few oldies, and some of them are very nice : Madhumati, Guide, Ram aur Shyam, Naya Daur, Satyam Shivam Sundaram, and Shree 420.
    Guide is in my personal top 10 list, and I like Naya Daur, Madhumati, and Shree 420 quite a lot. Others among my personal favorites include Sahib Bibi Aur Ghulam, Howrah Bridge, Chalti Ka Naam Ghaddi, Kismet, Rattan, Pukar, Sikandar. The last four are available with English translations on a YouTube channel of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9504Pr9bDE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSzgMTJcKpA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRSEddrh7kc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr8S5Wb3O-s
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello mamono,

many thanks

I've put your favourites in my future purchase. I prefer to buy DVDs than watch movies on PC.

With your lagarith settings, I obtained a very good clip, and 10 times lighter than uncompressed. Incredible !

I thank you all again for your precious informations, and would like now to understand this last strangeness :

If I watch on my PC (with VLC, Nero Show Time or WMP) the DVD, or the clip extracted with DVDShrink, it is OK.
    But after the creation of the karaoke clip, the image gets a bad ratio on my PC, but a good one on my TV (read by any DVD drive).

Double strangeness, no ?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Not strange. I'd suggest a better player than Nero. Later versions of WMP often don't recognize aspect ratios, and if they are Lagairth AVI instead of encoded video they will simply play at the AVI's frame size just as they do in VirtualDub. VLC isn't all that wonderful IMO, and it displays unencoded AVI at the same frame size. However, VLC's menus and Preferences options let you turn playback deinterlacing on/off and you can specify an aspect ratio. Because uncompressed or Lagarith or huffyuv lossless compression makes an AVI that has no "playback aspect ratio", the AVI will always play at its own frame size in most media players.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 03:48.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Because uncompressed or Lagarith or huffyuv lossless compression makes an AVI that has no "playback aspect ratio", the AVI will always play at its own frame size in most media players.
    Excellent !
    I am amazed by your knowledges of all you, guys !

Now all my interrogations are solved, thank you ! See you on a new topic !
    Quote Quote