VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a large amount of .wav files that are comprised of two channels of a recorded phone conversation. There is one file of the local side and one file of the remote side. I need these in one file and preferably something I can do with a batch.

What program might I use to do that? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Even though Wave files are also RIFF containers like AVI, they do not mux together using the same manner, AFAIK. You CAN always use a mult-channel sound editor (or DAW) to create a MC stream from your combined files.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. You could easily do this with Audacity. Import each audio track then either make them a stereo pair (ie, one track on the left, the other on the right) or simply mix them together. I've never used it but Audacity has some batch processing abilities.

I suspect you could also do it with ffmpeg but I don't know it well enough to give you a command line.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I did an analysis of the 2 methods mentioned in that other thread (doom9's): Both actually mix/combine the streams. IOW, given a 2channel stream and another 2channel stream, the result is a 3rd, combined 2channel stream. NOT a 4channel stream (which is what "MUXING" would do). In fact, those 2 methods, as suggested, do nothing but an additive combine of equal (50/50) proportion, with no intrinsic safety mechanism for overflow (over 0dB) distortion.

Hence, using a multichannel audio editor would be the safest & most versatile. Particularly if you intended to get a 4channel output.

Using Audacity, one must explicitly modify the preferences to allow non-mixdown-to-stereo default and must also change the preferences for the Exported file format from WAV to WAVEX. Then and only then will you get a true, discreet 4-channel ".WAV" output from it. This must be done from a RECENT version, also.

Scott

<edit>Of course, if the OP never really meant MUX, but instead did want to simply mix down to 2, then all the other options are valid.</edit>
    Quote Quote