VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm currently using Adobe Encore CS6 to author my blu-rays but encore can't add copy protection to them.
    Any recommendation for software that is capable for adding copy protection to a blu-ray would be very helpful.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Can't really afford to spend an arm and a leg. I'd be willing to spend a few hundred on the right software, a few thousand--probably not.
    Quote Quote  
  3. May as well put in a request then. Protection schemes are mainly through licensing services, not general use software.
    http://www.verance.com/support/infoRequest.php
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This might sound harsh but it is the small-time producer who gets paranoid about copy-protection.

What is gonna happen? Someone rips your content and uploads it somewhere ? Well the big studios found out long ago that any protection they put on, and still put on (other that cinavia) is not gonna deterr anyone. In fact the best deterent against CP is to price your stuff low enough that any potential customer will buy the real thing than rely on a rip. Buy in to c/p licencing and your price will have to reflect that extra outlay.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DB83, I have to disagree. There is a certain percentage of people out there that will never buy if they can go free. This includes content and software.

There is a percentage of infected computers that turn up to be cleaned of viruses where most of the software including the Windows and the Antivirus is pirated. I have seen this myself.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TBoneit View Post
    DB83, I have to disagree. There is a certain percentage of people out there that will never buy if they can go free. This includes content and software.

There is a percentage of infected computers that turn up to be cleaned of viruses where most of the software including the Windows and the Antivirus is pirated. I have seen this myself.
    True, but it is also true that what the OP wants doesn't exist. There really isn't any kind of copy protection available for Blu-Ray discs that doesn't cost a small fortune, and most of them are no longer effective. Only Cinavia is something of a deterrent, although it only discourages those who want to make a copy of a Blu-Ray disc for playback on a Blu-Ray player.
    Quote Quote  
  7. On the other hand, Any kind of copy protection will slow down noobs.

Plus if it makes some of them spend money to defeat it that is a worthwhile goal too.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    CSS, AACS, BD+, etc are all encryptions that are applied to STAMPED/PRESSED/Replicated discs. They will not apply to Burned/Duplicated discs. And they must be licensed, by an approved provider, as mentioned above. So just getting a bit of prosumer software and applying a "copy protect" flag will not do anything to the copyability of a disc (particularly a burned disc).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TBoneit View Post
    On the other hand, Any kind of copy protection will slow down noobs.

Plus if it makes some of them spend money to defeat it that is a worthwhile goal too.
    This is quite true. I have plenty of friends and family who have never attempted to duplicate a DVD or BD, not even ones they have purchased and intend to use the copy only for their own personal use, simply because they are completely uninterested in learning how to defeat copy protection.

On the other hand, I do have to say that it seems to me that the vast majority of the "Help me to copy protect my disc" requests that we get are either:
    1) They want to protect some nonsense that nobody else would ever want a copy of, like a video of little kids playing sports, some school function that only a parent and maybe a grandparent would ever want to watch, a personal life even that even blood relatives may not really want to watch (but will pretend that oh yes, they would certainly like a copy of your wedding and they intend to watch it every month for the rest of their lives because YOUR wedding is just the most... important... thing... ever... in the history of the world) and so on.
    2) They are a photographer for hire and they want to prevent people from copying that wedding video they made because they are *******s and think that the video they were hired to make is THEIR personal property and that in no way does it belong to the people who actually got married.

So I have no interest in helping such requests even if I could, but as pointed out. you gotta pay if you want protection and you gotta pay some one to press the disc to get it.
    Quote Quote