VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi,

Is it possible to do some basic animation easily with vegas 11 ? I'd like to start from a circle becoming a rounded rectangle to hold at the end a text (The text I know thow to place it).

A picture is worth than 1000 words, here is what I'd like to do in a smooth animation? I can't find tutorials to do that (I prefer classic tutorial than video tutorial)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sans titre-1.png
Views:	677
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	23867
    Quote Quote  
  2. The most efficient way is to prebuild the effect, reimport the resulting file, then key that in where needed.

You need two layers: the bottom, complete shape

Name:	layer_bottom.png
Views:	472
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	23871
    And the top endcap.

Name:	layer_top.png
Views:	454
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	23869

Animate one over the other in Vegas using the event pan/crop tool.

Name:	interface.png
Views:	218
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	23870

Export, reimport and Chroma Key in as a higher layer over live video. Wipe on the title as the next higher layer.

Name:	combo.png
Views:	191
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	23872

You can also do it using about 7 layers each time, but this is simpler.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would also suggest using a mask and 2 images similar to above, but will allow you to use transparency.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  4. Using smrpix's images named as bar.png and dot.png:

Code:
    function MovingOverlay(clip bg, clip fg, int x_position)
    {
      Overlay(bg, fg, x_position, 0)
    }

bg=ImageSource("bar.png", start=0, end=24, fps=24).Subtitle("This is some text printed on the long bar.", x=70, y=258)
    fg=ImageSource("dot.png", start=0, end=24, fps=24)

Animate(0, 23, "MovingOverlay", bg, fg, 64, bg, fg, 380)

Name:	bar.gif
Views:	2298
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	23899
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not bad Jagabo.......
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  6. Except motion not smooth... and this why perhaps is better to slightly complicate script - subpixel accuracy is nice...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Except motion not smooth...
    Now you're quibbling. You can easily modify jagabo's script to 29.97 fps or 59.94, (120 if you're perverse) even add a directional blur. Heck, you can even change the font and color!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Multimedia storyteller bigass's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Very nice. The only way it could be better is if it were in Sony Vegas, like the original poster requested.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Very nice. The only way it could be better is if it were in Sony Vegas, like the original poster requested.
    Doing effects like this in programs like Vegas is boringly simple. Doing them in free s/w like Avisynth is a little more interesting. I tried this effect in AviUtl (also free), but made it a little more interesting by using Pinocchio instead. I could've done a much better job, but it was a quick slap together effect just for laughs:
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. I did the AviSynth animation for myself just for fun. I wasn't going to post it but Pandy mentioned using AviSynth. So I posted the script. That would give the OP a chance to verify that effect is what he wanted. Most animated gif players can't handle much more than ~24 fps so I left it at that. Here's one at 60 fps. Basically just changing all the "24" to "60" in the script.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, much better @ 60 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Doing effects like this in programs like Vegas is boringly simple. Doing them in free s/w like Avisynth is a little more interesting. I tried this effect in AviUtl (also free), but made it a little more interesting by using Pinocchio instead. I could've done a much better job, but it was a quick slap together effect just for laughs:
    Haha with my mind in the gutter I was thinking of other appendages growing
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bigass View Post
    True, but jagabo never posts anything that's not worthy of consideration.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Except motion not smooth... and this why perhaps is better to slightly complicate script - subpixel accuracy is nice...
    Originally Posted by bigass View Post
    Did the brainiacs ever consider maybe it was not so smooth because it was converted and displayed as a gif ??

Or maybe this is an easier way to do it ?

Show all of us your rendering of this task before yapping yer traps.

Me thinks someones head is up their, AHEM, which is why they have a big, AHEM!!
    LOL!!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Another approach to improve the subjective "smoothess" is easing the keyframes, or changing the keyframe interpolation from something other than linear . This type of "lower third" animation is typically done with an acceleration in and deceleration out. That's more difficult to do in avisynth
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I did the AviSynth animation for myself just for fun. I wasn't going to post it but Pandy mentioned using AviSynth. So I posted the script. That would give the OP a chance to verify that effect is what he wanted. Most animated gif players can't handle much more than ~24 fps so I left it at that. Here's one at 60 fps. Basically just changing all the "24" to "60" in the script.
    Oh, it was not critics only observation and still it can be improved by few ways without going to higher frame rate and/or interlace.
    I like Avisynth and for such simple things i don't want to buy sophisticated video editor for multiple k$ - it will be slight overkill but some people are rich thus they buying Porshe to drive in a city 10km to work place - you can't forbid this...
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Show all of us your rendering of this task before yapping yer traps.
    yep, i support your point of view - kill everyone who is stupid enough to express different point of view (than your of course)...
    Quote Quote  
  18. In the easiest way without using any mask:

Name:	demo-shape.mp4_snapshot_00.07_[2014.03.06_17.21.54].jpg
Views:	304
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	23926

See attachment for sample video (30fps) and sample project (AviUtl)
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I'd have to say MaverickTse's example wins hands down...........
    Quote Quote  
  20. Just for kicks (again) here's a moving overlay function that accelerates at the start and and decelerates at the end:

Code:
    function EaseInOutMovingOverlay(clip bg, clip fg, float x_current, float x_first, float x_last)
    {
      range = float(x_last - x_first)
      part = float((x_current - x_first) / range)
      part = sin(part * PI / 2) 
      part = part * part * range + x_first
      Overlay(bg, fg, int(part), 0)
    }

# call with:

Animate(25, 125, "EaseInOutMovingOverlay", bg, fg, 64.0, 64.0, 380.0, bg, fg, 380.0, 64.0, 380.0)
    It uses a sine squared curve for the non-constant motion. It needs to know where the motion starts and ends in order to calculate where to put the overlay, hence the x_first and x_last arguments. So x_current isn't really the position but rather a portion of the distance between x_first and x_last from which we will calculate the actual x position. And yes, this gives the smoothest results when used with sub-pixel accuracy. You can easily do that by upscaling the video, adding the moving overlay, then downscaling the video.

I'm sure this is of no use to the OP. It was just a fun exercise for me.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thanks for all your advices. I will put all in practice this weekend
    Quote Quote  
  22. Nice job Maverick and Jagabo

I've always wanted to have more control over "keyframes" or non linear animation in avisynth

And for vegas, you would right click on the keyframe and select the interpolation type. But I don't think it has a curve editor for controlling velocity curves

Sometimes you need to use masks . For example what if the background wasn't "white", or background wasn't static - you would need to mask off the shape (instead of a moving "rectangle", it would just be the moving "dot", the rest would be "transparent" excluded from the mask and revealing the background layer)

This partially falls under the technique of "mask reveals", which allows you to do more complex animations by animating the mask. You can do non linear "bars" and shapes ; for example you can move in zig zag or circular . Or maybe reveal hand writing , etc
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vegas has a velocity curve with points and interpolation choices.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or you could just adjust the Key-Frame properties to get acceleration/deceleration effects like this:
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Looks like you're right. It's not available in older versions, only the simple interpolation types. Does track motion & pan/crop have curves to control keyframes in 12 ? or only FX ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Does track motion & pan/crop have curves to control keyframes in 12 ? or only FX ?
    Since they went to the OpenFX platform, just about anything is curve-based. Was that in V11? I think so.

Whoops! No curves in Pan/Crop and Track Motion. Everywhere else though (I think) Hahaha, better not quote me at this point. I've "stepped in it". Hahaha
    Last edited by budwzr; 7th Mar 2014 at 23:53.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Some fun with sin and cos avisynth animations...

Here's the function for the bouncing character:

Code:
    function Bounce(clip vid, clip overlay, clip mask, int x, int y, int angle, int amplitude)
    {
       radians = float(angle) / (360.0 / PI / 2.0)
       yoff = sin(radians) * float(amplitude)
       yoff < 0 \
        ? Overlay(vid, overlay, x+angle, y + int(yoff), mask) \
        : Overlay(vid, overlay, x+angle, y - int(yoff), mask)
    }

# call with:

Animate(0, 360, "Bounce",\
       last, dog, mask, -130, 380, 0, 100,\
       last, dog, mask, -130, 380, 640, 100)
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th Mar 2014 at 08:18.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Sweet. I've always done it by dragging spline handle without thinking about the math behind it. Thanks for the lesson!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is that, a pink termite? Something's wrong with the looping one.

Hey, we're gettin' way OT. Hope we don't get in trouble.
    Last edited by budwzr; 8th Mar 2014 at 00:29.
    Quote Quote