VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello folks,

I have 7 mkv files with chapters perfected. I would like to merge those files and maintain the chapters. How do I do that?

There is 2 years old thread, but not that useful. Any update on the old thread?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try latest mkvtoolnix / mkvmergegui, join/merge files with the append button. If it doesn't maintain the chapters must you fix it manually like that thread.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Wow Baldrick, you are so quick in replying...

I was playing around MKVToolNix and noticed the append option. I thought may be muxing would take long so posted so that if it takes long someone will post an answer.

Yes, it worked (and maintained chapters too).

Now another question,
    I made a mistake while encoding 2 files, they are m4v instead of mkv. MMG does not accept that input, even if I change the file extension. Should I recode those files?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can try demux the video and audio files from the m4v/mp4 with mymp4boxgui. Then add the video and audio stream files in mmg. No video/audio reconversion.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sorry Baldrick, need more instructions.

I imported the m4v in mymp4boxGUI and hit mux, it resulted in mp4 file. You mean I should import that file (as it doesn't work)?

Edit: I demuxed and got 3 files, Imported those files to mmg and another file to append. Got an error message "Appending track from a file to another track from the same file is not allowed. This is in case of track 4 and 5", where these are audio tracks of the file that will be appended to demuxed file.
    Last edited by indijay; 4th Mar 2014 at 08:33. Reason: added info.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You shouldn't use the append button now. Add all files with the add button. Make a new mkv. Then append all mkv all files.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you Endoro, needed that page,
    Baldrick, I did that too and the resulting mkv was way off with time stamps. The video is 19:28 minutes long and the resulting avi showed 28: xx long. The file was not scrollable, plus few other errors. In the error box, it mentioned this (forgot the exact wording).

Plus, the stupid part is, its m4v, would have been mp4, there was mp42mkvac3 to convert.

I guess, instead of spending more time on this, I better re-encode those titles.
    Quote Quote