VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    My grandma is turning 90 years old in June. i have been given the task of collecting videos from all her children, grand children and great grand children wishing her a happy birthday... alot of people having trouble sending movies...some say thaat the file is to large ect. i am supposed to put all the videos on a dvd to present to my grandma.. is there a way to get these videos...is there a app or programs site than they can upload there videos to and i can have access to these files...also need a good program to convert the many videos i am getting to one format.It has to be some type of cloud that i can give them access to upload pics and videos..any advise would be great.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Email accounts almost ALWAYS have size constraints (usually 5-15MB attachments per email max).

Better to get something like a dropbox account. IIRC free sample accounts are 2GB, though I went ahead and bumped mine up to 250GB for like $10(?).

All fam & friends you could send public DL links, or even give them login info so they can upload.

Other/old-style alternative would have been FTP.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Converter app depends on what your intended destination format(s) are.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Most important......Tell family members that small files means small quality.....and remind them that there is nothing wrong with leaving their computer on overnight while the files are uploading. Remind them that upload speeds are normally VERY slow compared to download speeds. RapidShare would be my first choice for family-friendly....except for that one setting you must use to make them available to anyone. You must create a special/certain folder(I believe) on Rapidshare that allows access to ANYONE.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Keep it simple. Thumbdrives and snail mail.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Those computer-challenged family members might have just as much trouble copying to a thumb drive as uploading.

Scott

Good suggestions all, though.
    Quote Quote  
  7. i guess, yahoo has max limit of 25 MB.
    alternatively most upload site i know like mediafire or sendspace support 200~250MB, OP can upload as private and provide links to downloads. OP can delete them from account once downloaded.
    Quote Quote  
  8. another idea: you create a gmail account, create a share in your google drive and invite all others to also create a gmail account and upload all the files into you shared folder,...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Uploading data will depend on what bandwidth each family member has ... then there's download on your side.

If bandwidth is no problem then simply run an ftp server app on your system.

Filezilla server and client apps ... guide for server setup

Use teamviewer to assist with setup of client app on other ends.

Once done all should be well.

Or

If they created the video's using a camera then they should have no issues in copying them to a flash drive and use express post ... it's the least technical method other than you physically going and fetching it yourself.

How to copy file to usb flash drive guide
    Quote Quote  
  10. The reality is, you're going to be using ALL of these methods and spending a lot of time on the phone with your relatives negotiating and handholding your way through which works best for each of them. Some of them will "get it" immediately and may even have better suggestions, some of them you're going to have to visit and borrow their tapes. Your great Aunt isn't going to scan 200 photos herself, she might be willing to send you a box.

If this is being presented at a gathering, expect people to show up with materials that same day. Calculate that into your workflow.

This is all doable -- and fun, just be prepared to deal with the reality of human behavior, not an idealized organizational fantasy.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by smrpix; 4th Mar 2014 at 08:37.
    Quote Quote