VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone. I'd really appreciate it if someone can give me some advice on how to fix this problem.

The display on my computer looks sharp if I, for example, go to youtube and watch something that's "high definition". However, in normal functions such as my desktop display, this forum page, logic audio pages, etc, it looks very grainy.

I have an intel mac tower 2x 2.66 dual core, using a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphix card. It's plugged into a 1080p Sony TV, using the apple output (I think it's called DVI) to a VGA input in the back of the TV. (I don't want to go out and buy an HDMI cable unless I know for sure it'll make a difference.)

I've set the display resolution to 1280 X 720 as that seems to be what displays the best.

Is there any ideas on how to make normal displays sharper? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Many modern tv screens have a computer setting, which undos overscan, to make it pixel precise for computer monitor setups. That should make it work crisp on its native screen resolution.
    It may be called “PC mode” or something similar, in your tv’s settings menu.
    It would be useful if you could specify the exact tv model.
    DVI to VGA makes a needless digital-analog-digital conversion. HDMI would prevent that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You don't say where you're from, but Amazon in the US sells excellent quality HDMI cables for a few dollars. I found a 2 meter cable they have for I think $5.95 you could buy. Perhaps your reluctance to just buy an HDMI cable is because your local physical store wants $30-40 for them. An HDMI cable doesn't have to cost a fortune if you buy online.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Also turn off the sharpening feature on the TV. And while your there, turn off all the other automatic adjustments -- contrast, brightness, noise reduction, etc. All they do is screw up the picture. Many TVs have a "PC" mode just for this.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Use HDMI or DVI inputs on the TV, VGA is an analog signal and your TV has to process it to display it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Since nobody knows exactly what you're seeing on the TV here are some examples:

Normal:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nomal.png
Views:	309
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	23847

Poorly scaled (computer output doesn't match TV's native resolution, overscan simulation):

Name:	PoorScaling.png
Views:	308
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	23848

Over sharpened:

Name:	OverSharpened.png
Views:	216
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	23849
    Quote Quote