VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. I built up a fairly big collection of DVDs that were "archived" from DVDs I rented. I used AnyDVD and CloneDVD to copy them to blank DVDs. Now, we finally have a Blu-Ray player with Wifi built-in. I'd like to start "archiving" from future Blu-rays that I might rent.

I'm wondering if just ripping them to a large external drive would work just as well as buying a burner and blank Blu-ray discs. I see that Slysoft has AnyDVD HD which I can use to get throught the protection. But, I don't see a simple program for copying, like CloneDVD did. Especially for copying to the 25GB DVDs, which seem to be much cheaper.

If I rip to the hard drive, would I be able to stream at an effective speed, to my Blu-ray player? I have Serviio console which makes it possible to stream from this external hard drive, I've already tested with an avi file. I just don't know if normal home WiFi Wireless N is fast enough to stream from a Blu-ray source. I guess it is because I can get Netflix streaming with HD.

Just would love to hear thoughts and suggestions on whether this is a good or bad idea, and any suggestions for better ideas.

Thanks!

Search PM
    What you are doing in not owning the originals is just plain stealing and warez!

I doubt if anyone here would help you with that. Certainly not publicly.

Scott

3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    tommyd17, please read our rules before posting:
    Do NOT talk about copying rented material
    You are not allowed to rip/copy/record rented video. It includes streaming rented video like netflix, itunes, hulu plus, etc.
    Thread closed.

Moderator redwudz