VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't transfer a file of 5 GB to an external disk ( Windows 7 ). What's the larger size the Windows accept?
    Last edited by Jomapil; 3rd Mar 2014 at 11:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is that external disk formatted for FAT32 ?

That file-system has a 4 gig file size limitation.

NTFS probably has a limitation but I doubt you would ever hit it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's probably the fat32 4gb limit. Reformat it as a ntfs disk/partition instead. You will lose all data and some devices might not support ntfs.

Or split your files with for example 7zip, no compression and split by size.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    NTFS probably has a limitation but I doubt you would ever hit it.
    It actually does, but it's so large (almost 16 Exabytes - Exabytes are TWO orders of magnitude above terabytes) that it would take many thousands (too lazy to do the math) of today's largest disk drives chained together in one giant virtual drive to hold it. So this means that a single disk with NTFS can have a file as large as the disk drive itself.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The external disk is a NFTS. The file has 4.8 GB.
    The following message appears:

" The following file ' .... ' is too large for the destination file system "
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What sort of 'external disk' is this ?

No logical reason why you can not tfr 4.8 gig to a NTFS formatted drive unless, of course, you do not have 4.8 gig of free space on the drive.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    What sort of 'external disk' is this ?

No logical reason why you can not tfr 4.8 gig to a NTFS formatted drive unless, of course, you do not have 4.8 gig of free space on the drive.
    Probably this.

Jomapil always has, uh, "interesting" problems, usually self-inflicted. It also wouldn't surprise me at all if this "external disk" turned out to be a USB flash drive of limited size, like 4 GB.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you emptied the trash on that drive?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The external disk is a USB, Verbatim, with 360 GB ( 150 GB free ). NFTS. Windows 7.

And jman98 excuse me but I didn't know this forum was only for expert people like you with interesting questions and not for non-expert people like me with uninteresting problems.
    Last edited by Jomapil; 3rd Mar 2014 at 11:57.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Given how after all these years you never seem to learn anything, I am now starting to wonder if you are just a really clever troll.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It is not unreasonable to assume, given the facts as told to us so far, that the problem is a PEBKAC error.

Any more information to give? Screenshots?

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 3rd Mar 2014 at 19:04.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just to give the OP the benefit of the doubt, I ask that he selects 'Computer' from the Start Menu and upload a screen-shot.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I vageluy remember reading a review of a hard drive years ago where the drive's software prevented files larger than 4GB being transferred. I remember it being a WD drive and some sort of anti-piracy annoyance. Or maybe it was FAT32 and the reviewer had no idea what he was talking about.....
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I solved the problem splitting, at first, the large files as suggested by Baldrick. I thanks the construtive help of everyone.

To keep a good atmosphere here in the Forum, I appeal to an administrator to take right measures so that normal, decent and civilized people don't be bothered by people with bad manners. If anyone doesn't like a question or a people, doesn't answer and full stop.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, that does not really 'solve' the issue. Sooner or later you will want to access that large file then you will have to join the parts.

If you really wanted the issue solved you could, at the very least, post screen-shots as I, and Scott, requested (we should also see the property tab of this disk)
    Quote Quote  
  16. Would it be safe to assume the 5GB file in question is an MKV or MP4? If so I wouldn't compress and split them with 7zip. I'd split them so they're still playable. For MKV you can split and also link the split sections together, so if a player supports it you can play the first "part" and the player will play the other split part(s) as though they're still a single file.

As a side note, I've never understood the fuss when it comes to the 7z format, as every time I've tested it the compression is about the same as zip. And it tends to be much slower. Am I missing something?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The problem, though, remains. Jomapil needn't feel offended. What jman98 said ("Jomapil always has, uh, "interesting" problems, usually self-inflicted. It also wouldn't surprise me at all if this "external disk" turned out to be a USB flash drive of limited size, like 4 GB." and "Given how after all these years you never seem to learn anything, I am now starting to wonder if you are just a really clever troll.") don't sound as if he was trying to insult. It actually brought smiles in everyone's lips here, making this thread more lively. And, of course, the problem is truly interesting, and the solution might turn out to be absurdly simple.

jomapil keeps writing that his drive is "NFTS" formatted. He wrote that twice. Perhaps that's a new kind of file system ?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by ukb007 View Post
    The problem, though, remains. Jomapil needn't feel offended. What jman98 said..... don't sound as if he was trying to insult. It actually brought smiles in everyone's lips here, making this thread more lively. And, of course, the problem is truly interesting, and the solution might turn out to be absurdly simple.
    I think I'd be a little annoyed at being referred to as a possible troll. Unless I was one, in which case I assume I'd be more annoyed.
    Although thinking about it.... trolling is so 90's the only thing I can imagine as out of date as trolling would be accusing someone of trolling, or maybe Googling "Hampsterdance", so in that respect I'd find it a little amusing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I for one, having worn my fingers a little more on the KB in the replies, would like to see full and proper closure on this.

But we can not force the OP to reply. And in the absence of that we can only form our own conclusions.
    Last edited by DB83; 4th Mar 2014 at 17:47. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote