VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a D800 and I've been in the market for a new camcorder to replace/upgrade my dead HV20. I want a camcorder form-factor because I hate DSLR's for "run-n-gun and general handheld shooting. I'll probably get the XA20 but after reviewing hours of sample video on Vimeo and Youtube I can see that it suffers from "tiny sensor syndrome" too much DOF, not enough dynamic range.

So I think most of my shoots will involve some of each - handheld shots with the XA20, and tripod or slider mounted D800 for shots where I want to control DOF or where there's lots of highlight or shadow detail.

My question: How hard will it be to mix these together in post so that when I transition between them in the final production the effect isn't jarring? How hard will it be to get them to grade alike, and what else will be necessary? The XA20 can't do 4:2:2 - will that make this a lot harder or impossible?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Several thoughts.
    First, shoot at at common frame rate.
    Second,start with a common white balance.
    Third, the canon is quite capable of controlling DOF by use of manual controls.
    Fourth, perfectly matching cameras is no longer an built-in audience expectation. Folks are used to seeing things mixed at different frame rates, different color balances, even no color at all for one camera and deep colors for another -- but that of course is your stylistic decision.

After you edit your piece you can bring it into Davinci Resolve Lite for color correction which is free and controls your image with 32 bit precision regardless of where it started. (Obviously the deeper the original the more latitude, but you're not shooting with a RED or Alexa anyway.)
    Quote Quote