VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello

I have a flv file, is there any software (free or low cost) that I can add text inside the video? For example when the video is showing a dog during the 1:20min, I want the text "This is my dog." to appear during that timing.

Thanks a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can add subtitles without reencoding the video. If you want to hardcode or 'burn in' some text then the whole thing has to be reencoded. Either way can be done fairly easily (assuming you know how to create some simple subtitles) with free software.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    You can add subtitles without reencoding the video. If you want to hardcode or 'burn in' some text then the whole thing has to be reencoded. Either way can be done fairly easily (assuming you know how to create some simple subtitles) with free software.
    What free software would you recommend? I have tried searching but I only see paid software.

What is the difference "subtitles without reencoding the video" vs "hardcode or 'burn in' some text"?

I am a noob. Thanks for your patience.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Subs can be external to the video, and will play along with the video. If you've seen downloaded movies before then maybe you've seen subtitles in SRT text format. If they're hardcoded then they're a part of the video. To do it that way requires reencoding. But first you have to make the subtitles. Then you either keep them external to the video and have them play along, or you burn them into the video by reencoding. Most video conversion programs allow for the addition of subtitles while encoding.

NLE programs can also add text to a video, programs like Sony's Vegas. Those programs cost money, usually. Maybe someone will come along and point out a program with which you can do this easily. You might want to make the subs first in Subtitle Workshop or similar. There's a ton of subbing programs.
    I have tried searching but I only see paid software.
    Have you searched the software on this site? We always prefer free to paying money for these things. Nothing you want to do requires shelling out for anything.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Method 1:

Video file and srt subtitle names the same

Plays in vlc and some hardware players provided codecs are supported

Method 2:

Burnt in subs

Re-encoding require, some quality may be lost ... vsdc (text) and avidemux (subtitle) are two which do not need additional plugins

Method 3:

Muxed subs

Dvd authoring ...dvdauthorgui, dvdflick, and others

Or included inside an mkv container ... projectx, avidemux, and others

-----

You also need to specify how this file is to be played considering hardware or software players.
    Quote Quote  
  6. First make your video, mp4 with H.264 as video and AAC as audio inside. So maybe you need to just demux your flv that could be actually H.264 and AAC. Try this . Or maybe mp4 muxer will accept that flv, see below.

Then grab Subtitle Workshop to create subtitles in srt format
    Then you need some sort of muxer to mux those subtitles into mp4. I use Megui it has mp4 muxer inside to use it for web, jwplayer then can pick it up playing on website, or using VLC player it can show it in PC, or MPC-HC (you have to make sure that you have selected renderer that supports it.
    Last edited by _Al_; 1st Mar 2014 at 15:59.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Subtitle Workshop does not work with .flv flies.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Can avidemux add subtitle/text to flv video? I cannot not find any tutorial on that.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Subtitle Edit works with flv provided lavfilters are installed prior, just check the box for FLV during the install process

Once done and subtitle edit is running ... choose "video", then "open video file"

Avidemux via the subtitle filter ... as shown in this guide
    Quote Quote  
  10. .. or for Subtitle Edit if you have VLC: Options -> Setting -> Video player -> VLC Media Player
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do intend the file to be played? If it's on a computer with video playback software like vlc then .srt etc files will work fine. If you want it played on a mobile device or to upload to yourube etc I think you'd have to hard code.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I intend to play on computer only

Thanks for all answers.

I found a way that works for me. I convert the video to mp4. Then I use Windows Movie Maker to add text.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by vstar View Post
    I found a way that works for me. I convert the video to mp4. Then I use Windows Movie Maker to add text.
    Ouch!

I mean, if it works for you, well done.
    Quote Quote