VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been running into a bit of a situation trying to create a DVD with ImgBurn through DVDFlick. While the files are even well under 4GB, the program asks me to choose a layer break position, something I've not seen unless I've been burning dual layer DVD's. Does it make sense that this is happening? It doesn't make sense to me, but I think it's a safe bet that I'm less knowledgeable than the majority here. I have burned more than what I am currently trying to burn (aside from dual layer), and haven't had this occur on a single layer DVD before. Has anyone got any insight as to what is going on?

-JCD
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What's the exact size of the VIDEO_TS folder?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, that sounds like an easily rectified, stupid bug (due to bad programming or an incomplete understanding of how DVDs & layers work). But until they fix it, I'd put the break position at- or beyond-the-end of the used cells (don't know if it uses runtime, cell ID, filesize, etc since I rarely use DVDFlick). I think that's where johns0 was going with his question.

Try it on a DVD-RW first so you don't lose a disc if you accidentally make a coaster. IMGBurn should (also) allow you to adjust that layer break figure if that is necessary.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    JC Daly,
    See https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/271988-How-large-a-CONTIGUOUS-file-can-I-burn-on-a-DVD-DL

This is an old thread but it may help you. I'm not sure what Video format the program is producing. I forget the maximum file size limit, but the UDF might have to be written using UDF 2.5.

Most DVD authoring programs will break the video data into 1G vob files. If you are just interested in a pure video playback most players will accept UDF files which contain files in mpg, mp2, or mp4 as well as other formats. The exact formats supported will vary from DVD or BR-DVD player to player. The player may not support all audio formats either. Consult the user manual and as someone suggested try it with a DVD-RW 1st to avoid coasters.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/311503-Video-format-with-chapter-markers

Discusses chapter markers in such files.

Hope this helps

rcubed
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I also don't use DVDFlick, but assuming that ImgBurn is doing the layer break prompting, then that means it sure thinks it's got too much to fit on a single layer DVD and my money is on ImgBurn being right about that. Please note that if your output folder contains extra files/folders in addition to the usual AUDIO_TS (should be empty) and VIDEO_TS then your VIDEO_TS folder might indeed be 4 GB or less but additional folders/files could also push you up over the single layer size mark.

You might try to get a screen shot and post it here of the prompt you get to choose a layer break and what your choices are as it might provide some insight into what is really going on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    While Data DVDs may use any number of filesystems (though usually including at least one flavor of UDF) and file formats, it is a REQUIREMENT of DVD-Video application that NO file in the VIDEO_TS or AUDIO_TS zones (folders) be larger than 1GB. It also uses the (micro)-UDF v1.02 filesystem (usually bridged with ISO9660). Compliant players would be expecting strictly that.

A good authoring app will know how to correctly apply a layer break at a point such that it introduces as little disruption of the title as possible.

If you were going with regular data files, you'd have to manually break the files up yourself or find a burning app that can intelligently do that for you (not sure if ImgBurn does or doesn't with DL discs).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there is no layer break on a sl dvd. as long as it fits on a sl 4.365gb disc nothing can make it have a layer break.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Layer Break Position for SL DVD?
    WTF!?!?!?!

Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    there is no layer break on a sl dvd. as long as it fits on a sl 4.365gb disc nothing can make it have a layer break.
    Size has nothing to do with it!!

A SL DVDR can NOT have a layer break as there is only ONE layer!!!!!
    Hence the SL, SINGLE LAYER!!!!!!

Stop trying to burn THROUGH dvdflick or any other software!!
    Just use it to make a VIDEO_TS folder and use ImgBurn separately to burn the DVD!

Definitely a bug or something is screwed up......
    Where does the problem usually reside ?
    LOL!!
    Quote Quote