VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone offer me an alternative to DVDShrink? I need something easy to use that can also take the compressed files and burn them to DVD (I already have a great ripping program).

DVDShrink arrived on my PC loaded with Spyware, and I just don't feel safe trying to download it again.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Download it from here. AFAIk, there's no malware on the version from this site. The only alternative is to use Nero Recode. DVDFAB HD Decrypter can shrink too, but it doesn't do as nice a job and the function is not available on the free version.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    You can download Shrink from Videohelp and there will be no addons. https://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVD-Shrink Use the direct download link.

You'll get better quality output from DVDRebuilder, and it has an option to burn directly to a disc using ImgBurn. DVDRebuilder won't be as fast.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVDShrink isn't working, and it brought viruses to my computer. I'll look into the option that Kerry just mentioned but I'll welcome any additional suggestions for software.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Just be aware that DVDRebuilder won't decrypt anything. You'll need a separate decryption/ripping program with it.

Another to consider, if you don't mind paying for it, is ConvertXtoDVD. It is also only for conversion, not decryption.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a great ripping program, What I'm lacking is a viable program that can compress the files, allow me to arrange them in the order I want, and burn them to disk.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm still new to all of this, so I'll welcome further assistance. DVD Rebuilder has been 'installing' for more than ten minutes. Is that the norm? Also, online it said that I'll have to download additional things to make the program work? Again, feedback from anyone who has done this will be great.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by minns View Post
    I have a great ripping program, What I'm lacking is a viable program that can compress the files, allow me to arrange them in the order I want, and burn them to disk.
    I have the feeling you have NO IDEA what you are talking about.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No need to be rude.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a program that will rip the files from the original DVD, free of any copy protection.

Here's what I still need.

I need a good program that will compress the individual TV episodes, arrange them in the order that I want, and burn the to DVD. That's what I'm having trouble coming up with.

DVDShrink did not work for me, and the last program that was suggested was taking loner to install than Adobe Premier and PhotoShop combined.

If anyone can offer additional suggestions, I'll welcome them.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yes, you can try DVDShrink. Aside from the fact that it "brought viruses to your computer", how did it not work for you? You really didn't specify at all.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by minns View Post
    DVDShrink did not work for me, and the last program that was suggested was taking loner to install than Adobe Premier and PhotoShop combined.
    There is something wrong with your computer, nobody has any problems with dvdshrink or for that matter dvdrebuilder.
    Maybe you need to do some malware scans?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by minns View Post
    I have the feeling you have NO IDEA what you are talking about.
    I second that vote!!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nice to know this forum is populated by such caring, classy people. And yes, there is a problem with that program (there are scores of reports about it online). My guess is that YOU didn't know that and you know far less about this than you like people to believe.
    Quote Quote  
  15. minns,

as you are repeatedly saying that you have some problems with DVDShrink, I believe you... I trust you... bcoz I am not in a position to verify your claim. Other program which is recommended and well supported by author is AVS2DVD which you should give it a try after reading relevant guides and it's support thread. The commercial program which is often recommended here is ConvertX2DVD, later one might have 30 days trial period that you wanna try.

Now you have 2 more programs to start with, ask when you face any problems.
    Even if you are looking for a long list of softwares l@@k : HERE -or- HERE.
    Last edited by enim; 1st Mar 2014 at 00:34.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Dude, there is nothing wrong with dvdshrink from this site.
    Now wherever you dled from, who knows.

As far as speed goes, dvdshrink does its job fast and many have been using it since it first came out without any problems.

Now if you need to shrink by a large percentage, dvdrebuilder is the program to use (it re-encodes).

These are the 2 premier programs to deal with resizing a large dvd back to dvd, none else is needed.

If these don't meet you needs, buy dual layer dvds and forget about using either program, problem solved.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I responded to a thread titled " DVDShrink Alternatives" which was quite enough for me to understand was exactly OP - minns is looking for. Further more, all responses prior me failed to provide the alternatives what OP was looking for.

Where are are tons of choices in whole universe, why we keep insisting something else. It sounds like me, like I went to buy a roll of toilet parer in a departmental store and salesman tried to push me very hard for sand papers. I just wanna have OP all choices available to try. If someone ask me what is the alternative for AVS2DVD or ConvertX2DVD, I would say try DVDShrink. I really Do Not Care, if someone likes me or not, bcoz I have enough very close by at smooching distance who like me.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dvdshrink is and always been free. if you downloaded the program called dvdshrink 2014 then you did get ripped off.
    Quote Quote  
  19. The Whole lecture I have just given by mis interpreting DVDShrink as DVDStyler. My BiG apology.

My responses are related to following OP's query :
    Seems like over drunk on Friday night.
    Even if I am over drunk, if OP read my responses, they contain all the details exactly what OP is looking for : "re-arrange and put it back into DVD."

Alternative would be DVDDecrypter (FREE), ANyDVD or DVDFAb, last two are commercial for full features. It is time for me for ZZZZZzzzz.
    Last edited by enim; 1st Mar 2014 at 01:20.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think Minns needs to solve his 'virus' issues. I use DVD SHRINK and DVDREBUILDER for their different abilities. I too have (will continue to) search for a great DVD SHRINK alternative, but nothing offers as many features (Chapter Break slicings, selectivity of features, the ability to merge umpteen Titles from umpteen DVD-FileSets).

But when I have DVD file-sets that need compression, the free DVD REBUILDER will give me excellent results. The pay-for version opens up to a better compression feature but, to be honest, I can't detect the difference by merely watching the video - I have to send it thru frame-counts to get 'the proof'.

DVD REBUILDER's stalling installation might be that whole 'virus' issue OR it might be the AVISYNTH installation. If a prior version exists, sometimes it can't easily be uninstalled or replaced. I handle that manually and DVD REBUILDER has installed more cleanly. Then, after DVD REBUILDER's installation, I recommend going out to AVISYNTH's site and downloading the current version, and installing that. DVD REBUILDER won't care - it's merely a 'front end' to a variety of services, not version numbers.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Discuss dvdshrink alternatives and nothing else.
    Quote Quote