VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm new to the forum and I have limited experience with ripping and burning files.

My dad is in the hospital, and he's asked me to throw some of his favorite shows onto a DVD. I found a great program that easily rips the individual TV episodes from the disk and converts them into any one of a dozen or so formats.

Here's the problem.

When I try to make a DVD out of the episodes, the formatting goes to pieces and the final products isn't viable (the audio and video are horribly out of sync and it just doesn't work). I was dragging the files into Adobe Premier, arranging them in the order I want, and trying to burn a DVD. Major failure. It just didn't work.

If anyone here can help me come up with a solution, I'll be grateful.

Also, I need to figure out compression options. My best attempts were only going to provide me with a very limited amount of programs on the finalized DVD, and I know there must be a way to pack more onto a single disk while still having enough quality that the final product is watchable.

All replies welcome.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you want a playable DVD......to play in a DVD player.....you CANNOT "convert".
    DVD is MPEG2. DVD can only be MPEG2. Nothing else.
    If a playable DVD is what you want....you are allowed to go down to MPEG1 to fit more on a disc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Any ideas about how I can do this? Premier is not working for this, and I'm still trying to figure out what program I will need to do this. Also, when I did mpeg2, the files were HUGE. It was actually a step backwards in terms of putting multiple episodes on the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Rip with dvdfab and shrink with dvdshrink,then burn the VIDEO-TS folder with imgburn.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    And by "rip" he means COPY (minus the copy protection). A DVD "rip" in nothing but an exact copy (NO conversion) of the DVD while eliminating the DVD's copy protection......despite what so many online sources say.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I get the rip part, but I could use clarification on the other steps. As it stands, the program I have now will let me choose whatever file format I want the episodes made into (including mpeg, mpeg2, and mpeg4). It hasn't been putting them in a folder structure of any kind. Is VIDEO-TS just the general term for the video folder? Also, in terms of creating the actual DVD, will I need another program or will I do that in DVDshrink?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    A VIDEO_TS folder is what every DVD has. All of the MPEG2 files are re-arranged into VOB files and placed into a VIDEO_TS folder. The process is called Authoring. DVDShrink can retain the VIDEO_TS folder structure required for a playable DVD and give you a playable DVD(or at least the VIDEO_TS folder for you to burn to a blank DVD.)
    DVDShrink is OLD but still useful for creating DVDs.....it just cannot handle the newer Copy Protection schemes of today's store-bought DVDs. RIP all of the DVDs you want to work with to your computer, then DVDShrink should be able to work with them. You can even open multiple DVDs in DVDShrink and take pieces from more than one DVD.....AND it can also squash down all of that into one DVD....minus the original quality of course.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DvdShrink arrived on my PC with LOADS of spyware attached to it. I'm having my computer cleaned as we speak, can anyone suggest another program that is easy to use that would perform the same function (compressing the files and letting me create a new DVD)?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, but it didn't work. The program won't even run and it tried to install multiple applications on my PC. I'll welcome any additional options.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Scans of the version available as a direct download here on Videohelp came up clean in both MalWareBytes and Avast.
    Learn to crawl before you walk.
    NEXT.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Also if your o/s is window 7 then you need to right click on the dvdshrink shortcut and set compatibility to winxp.Even if you find another program to use it will probably have maleware attached to it and wont work,only download from the links from this forum.

If the files are still infected then your system has been compromised before,not from this site.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote