VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the best freeware Ripper/Converter that handles Sony DVD Protection ? John
    Quote Quote  
  2. I can not think of any FREE, if it is a recent DVD.
    Have you tried DVDFABDecrypter free part to rip DVD to HDD?
    Last time long ago, I checked that commercial part has yearly renewable licensing terms.
    It's available for many platforms.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does it handle SOny dvd protection? John
    Quote Quote  
  4. I used free part on Mac, and I was successful to rip and backup few SONY dvds, it was somewhere in 2010.
    I am not aware of recent protections changes with SONY, I do not buy much DVDs now a days.
    Wait for other members response, some might have better suggestions than mine.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I can not recollect the name, but some where in 2008~2009, I bought an affordable commercial small DVDRipper capable of all most all sort of protection (DVD->AVI/XViD) which did fantastic job at that time for 1488MB or 2232MB DVD rip with custom size. It's gone with PC & HDD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    DVDFab HD Decrypter still exists as a free decrypter. It will kick in after the trial for the commercial section, called DVD Copy, expires. Just get the free trial, use it for 30 days, then when you need to access the HD Decrypter section click on Try. It will automatically shift you into the HD Decrypter section of the program. You will no longer be able to rip to an ISO, or compress a dvd, but the program will decrypt and rip as files.

MakeMkv will also decrypt dvds, but it will output as movie only, and in an .mkv file format. Yes, it can work with the encryption methods that Sony employed.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the help! John
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All of the decrypter programs can 'fail' on some disks because some studios update copy-protect schemes without asking our permission, so the decrypters need some time (days? weeks? months?) to catch up with all the various DVD releases each Tuesday. I have DVD FAB DECRYPTER running in Versions 7, 8 and the newest version 9, and IF a new-version-9 fails to decrypt a newly released DVD, it's rather fun to go back to a Version 7 DVDFAB and watch it handle it successfully.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    DVDFab HD Decrypter still exists as a free decrypter. It will kick in after the trial for the commercial section, called DVD Copy, expires. Just get the free trial, use it for 30 days, then when you need to access the HD Decrypter section click on Try. It will automatically shift you into the HD Decrypter section of the program. You will no longer be able to rip to an ISO, or compress a dvd, but the program will decrypt and rip as files.
    Thank you! You are the first person to EVER explain how to use the free section after the trial expires. Myself and other exasperated users have for a very long time posted about how we were unable to use the free section after the trial expired, only to be met with puzzled and unhelpful "But it works for me" responses from MANY veteran members here. Sheesh. Really, that was so complicated that not even one other person over the years could have posted it? It's been years since I tried DVDFab and I admit that I feel a little ashamed that I didn't just click on Try, but I assumed it wouldn't work without you paying for it. Maybe that's what they want you to think.

Do note that when the trial expires, I'm pretty sure that the free decryption does not get updated regularly. I believe it trails the commercial version by 6 months so there is always the possibility that Sony will release new versions of ARCCOS (this is probably what the OP means by "Sony Disk Protection") that the free decrypter won't understand for a while until it eventually gets updated. DVDFab keeps the paid version updated frequently and usually you just have to wait a week or so when a new version of ARCCOS comes out.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Never assume anything. Click on everything.
    Quote Quote