VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Sony Closing 20 Retail Stores, Cutting 1,000 Jobs In US

Sony is closing 20 of its 31 US retail stores according to the company, and laying off 1,000 workers.

The job cuts are part of a broader strategy to cut 5,000 jobs globally, spin off the struggling TV division, and get out of the PC business altogether.

“While these moves were extremely tough, they were absolutely necessary to position us in the best possible place for future growth,” said president and chief operating officer of Sony Electronics, Mike Fasulo in a statement.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good. I hope they go belly up. Nobody with realtime experience in IT took any Sony product seriously, and any corporation that deliberately installs proprietary rootkits on peoples' computers without permission or users' knowledge is not to be trusted anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ranchhand View Post
    Good. I hope they go belly up. Nobody with realtime experience in IT took any Sony product seriously, and any corporation that deliberately installs proprietary rootkits on peoples' computers without permission or users' knowledge is not to be trusted anyway.
    +1
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ego product manufacturer should get out of business. Never had been consumer friendly like the koreans. Thinking trinitron is still the market leader. Wake up and pack ur bags. Good bye for good.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I bet their camera business is not too hot either. Everyone is now using phones to take pictures and videos. (Well maybe a couple of pros are still using Sony cameras but the general public has migrated to phones.) But, I am sorry to see this happen as I have a Sony pocket camera that I absolutely love to use. It produces great 1080 vids and great stills and fits in my pocket.
    Last edited by TreeTops; 27th Feb 2014 at 11:40.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  6. When Sony started buying movie and music studios they changed from a consumer friendly company to a consumer antagonistic company. They used to produce enabling products, now the produce disabling products. They are now the last to introduce new features like media file playback, waiting until they're dragged into it, kicking and screaming, by everyone else. Good riddance.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by enim View Post
    Sony Closing 20 Retail Stores, Cutting 1,000 Jobs In US

Sony is closing 20 of its 31 US retail stores according to the company, and laying off 1,000 workers.

The job cuts are part of a broader strategy to cut 5,000 jobs globally, spin off the struggling TV division, and get out of the PC business altogether.

“While these moves were extremely tough, they were absolutely necessary to position us in the best possible place for future growth,” said president and chief operating officer of Sony Electronics, Mike Fasulo in a statement.

Fantastic. Just a shame it didn't happen earlier. Few companies are as arrogant, or hate their customers as much venom, as Sony:
    - installing rootkits on peoples computers
    - Cinavia
    - removal of the "other OS" feature after customers had purchased the product
    - enthusiastically supporting the MPAA
    - enthusiastically supporting the RIAA
    - Their scummy pursuit of GeoHot
    - DRM Mania (MiniDisc anyone?)
    [...] the list goes on.

When this awful finally goes belly up, I hope that someone publishes the GPS coordinates of the grave. Then I will know where to go when I want to relieve myself.....

Remember kids - "Friends don't let friends buy Sony"
    Quote Quote  
  8. Fantastic. Just a shame it didn't happen earlier. Few companies are as arrogant, or hate their customers as much venom, as Sony:
    - installing rootkits on peoples computers
    - Cinavia
    - removal of the "other OS" feature after customers had purchased the product
    - enthusiastically supporting the MPAA
    - enthusiastically supporting the RIAA
    - Their scummy pursuit of GeoHot
    - DRM Mania (MiniDisc anyone?)
    [...] the list goes on.

When this awful finally goes belly up, I hope that someone publishes the GPS coordinates of the grave. Then I will know where to go when I want to relieve myself.....

Remember kids - "Friends don't let friends buy Sony"
    I have just posted North American News, but total figure around the world is quite bit.
    I liked some of the points in everybody's reply, but address two in the last response.

Why to feel shame? It is happening now because they said SONY "MAKE BELIEVE" by taking it granted that consumers are real dumb. Now they are getting nice and hard kick from consumers.

"Friends don't let friends buy Sony", I have a friend whose status symbol is "SONY", every 4~5 year he gets some complaint that something always goes wrong in SONY products.

While TOSHIBA, PANASONIC, CANON, SAMSUNG & LG are justing fine where I live!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Chopmeister View Post
    [...] the list goes on.
    Proprietary formats?

- Betamax. I had a couple decks back in the day. I can recall only one manufacturer other than Sony that made them (Sanyo). Maybe there were more, but failure to license other manufacturers contributed to the format's demise.
    - Memory sticks. My first digital camera was a Sony. My last Sony camera. They couldn't use something standard like an SD memory card. Oh no.

I have a pair of large Sony floor speakers (SSU-2000) purchased in 1975 that are still working perfectly. Sony made some good stuff once upon a time. It's sad.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  10. yes they are baby killers , they kill their own babies, formats, also remember HDV ? Anamorphic Mpeg2 1440x1080 was excluded! from BD specs where 1440x1080 mpeg4 avc was allowed. After HDV was killed, they added 1440x1080 mpeg2 quietly on spec sheet. But it is listed until now on most sites that that format is not supported. Another little reason, but it looks they do stuff like that on purpose, not caring about folks out there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know where you got that from _AL_. I was putting HDV on Blu-Rays and AVCHD disks back in 2007. Only the audio needed to be converted to ac3, the Mpeg-2 stream was copied over untouched. It worked perfectly.........

I'm no fan of Sony either, but the loss of 1000 jobs in this economy is nothing to cheer about.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  12. I would not dare to give somebody BD with something that is not on specs. Testing BD's with mpeg2 from HDV (no recompression) and AC3 muxed with TsMuxer. I took that BDMV and went to person who had burner etc. burned it. I went to Best Buy to check out all players I could test over there, I remember being quite "ticked off" from that experience and I stopped using BD for good, meaning not even bothering buying burner etc., that was my decision, searching on web etc. and actualy buying WDTV player from Best Buy ironically.

Blu-Ray authorings like DVD Architect and others would not allowed creating of BD without reencoding at all.
    Last edited by _Al_; 28th Feb 2014 at 12:12.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I have a pair of large Sony floor speakers (SSU-2000) purchased in 1975 that are still working perfectly. Sony made some good stuff once upon a time. It's sad.
    upto 2000 product were good. after that SONY gone globally greedy.

I'm no fan of Sony either, but the loss of 1000 jobs in this economy is nothing to cheer about.
    Everybody has something really unique inside within themselves to sell. 1000+ job loss may turn out in some new ventures, that they should not worry about any other employers by being independent self-dependent
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's time to buy Google this beginning bankrupt
    GooglePlayStation
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    the loss of 1000 jobs in this economy is nothing to cheer about.
    People who would have bought products in the Sony stores will now buy products elsewhere. Some of those other places will be hiring people to handle the additional traffic. So there may be no net loss of jobs in the long run. Of course, if you're one of those Sony employees it's still bad news.

The real tragedy here is that upper management will get huge bonuses if they stem the negative flow. And if they don't turn the company around they'll get gigantic golden parachutes.
    Last edited by jagabo; 28th Feb 2014 at 13:36.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only Sony Product I own is a Sony HX9V compact camera. It's pretty good as compact cameras go. Though it's at the bottom tier of my camera collection, at least they use quality Carl Zeiss lenses. Most compact cameras use crappy plastic lenses..........

..........Yeah, I here ya Jagabo. The diligent hard worker always suffers the most when upper management is only interested in profit and making shareholders happy.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  17. ..........Yeah, I here ya Jagabo. The diligent hard worker always suffers the most when upper management is only interested in profit and making shareholders happy.
    This remains a proven management policy globally since olden days of Peter Drucker. Every management knows that any one can be easily replaced and shout for one, there will be thousands in a row.

In a "Close-Out" game any company hardly loose anything, but, the employees who sweat to make company profitable always turn out to be a looser like a silly goose.

Work For Yourself is sometimes better option for hard-working people.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    When Sony started buying movie and music studios they changed from a consumer friendly company to a consumer antagonistic company.
    Although I'm generally happy with my Sony Camcorder, it has a proprietary hotshoe. I can't mount any non-Sony accessory on it. They will claim it is an enhancement from the normal hotshoes, but a hotshoe doesn't need any enhancement. It just needs compatibility.

Another issue is the "InfoLithium batteries" lose much of their charge when just sitting around for a month. And the Sony accessories, like tripods are cheaply made.

They're the kings of consumer "lock-in". I think they invented that. And Samsung is not far behind. My phone, S4, has all kinds of Samsung apps that you can't get rid of.

And they roll out 4K tv's during a recession. Kind of stoopid. Did they expect us to dump our $2000+ "old tv's"?

They don't really want to compete. They want to dominate. And if they can't dominate, they pull out and go in a different direction. Their only commitment is to money.
    Last edited by budwzr; 28th Feb 2014 at 16:01.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    bye bye but not buy Sony.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wonder if they're trying to install Cinavia into those soon-to-be ex-employees so they can't work for anyone else?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by ranchhand View Post
    I would not wish for any company to go belly up and cost everybody their jobs, so I have to disagree with You on this matter.

TBoneit
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Those Sony stores usually carry the harder to find accessories, but you will pay through the nose for that privilege. They're definitely not "Outlet Centers".

And when you remove the product from the packaging, and feel how light and flimsy it is, you can't help get that "I've been hosed" feeling. Not a good experience.

I bought a camcorder grip from Sony, and it's about as sturdy as a childs squirt gun. Two pieces of plastic glued together with some faux leather-type material stuck on with glue. ($79)
    Last edited by budwzr; 1st Mar 2014 at 14:40.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I never even knew Sony had any outlet stores..... (or stores of any kind)
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Remember MiniDisc? That was a fiasco.

Anything you recorded or transferred got locked up into Atrac.
    Last edited by budwzr; 1st Mar 2014 at 19:29.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Minidisc never caught on in the USA but it was pretty successful in Japan. I tried it out when they were first available but didn't like the way the hiss breathed with the sound level, especially with solo piano music. I'd rather hear constant hiss than varying hiss.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Probably some kind of AGC gone wild.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    No, it was the noise reduction circuitry. Much like DBX. Maybe distortion caused by the lossy compression having problems with high frequency tansients too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    No, it was the noise reduction circuitry. Much like DBX.
    Hahaha, I dont remember that, but I remember the big hassle it was.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Like Yoda said, no Sony stores here in this area either. I have never seen a Sony store.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony Stores are in high dollah malls like South Coast Plaza in SoCal.

It's not the store itself that's a problem. It's the merch. Maybe Sony should try washer and dryers instead, like Samsong did, and use appliances as a platform to sell tablets and watches that interface with alerts to add fabric softener.

Or maybe an online commode. It could alert you if a turd floated back up after a flush. Hahaha
    Last edited by budwzr; 2nd Mar 2014 at 11:42.
    Quote Quote