VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm absolutely a newbie here and messing with video cameras. So this is really going to be a learning curve. I ride, an ST1100 Honda and got a bug up my and decided I'd like to try a video camera like the GoPro, really wanted to try something with less $ involved to try out 1st. Gearpro GDV285 camera suppose to have 1080P HD video. well that could be but no matter what I set it on in the video recording mode be it 30FPS/30FPSHD/60FPS after downloading the videos run in 3 minute clips..... The camera has a 16GB Samsung SD card. Video software is basic that came with my HP Pavilion, would that be part of the issue?

Thanks much for any suggestions, Best, Ed
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    How large are those 3min clips? Could be there is a filesize limitation and you are hitting the wall at 3 minutes. If this is true, you likely wouldn't be able to do anything about it until they did a firmware upgrade (to raise the limitation, or to span clips/files, etc).
    What filesystem is it (the storage medium) using: FAT/FAT32/ExFAT? NTFS? That can affect things as well.

Looks like you might not have done much checking up on the GearPro ahead of buying it. Night and day compared to the GoPro.
    GoPro is a great and versatile prosumer/hobbyist/action-specialty cam. The GearPro seams to be a fly-by-night knockoff, only good for newbie consumer occasional use. About the only thing it seems to have in common with GoPro is the size/formfactor and the similarity in name (trying to cash in on GoPro's popularity).

Do a post of text readout from MediaInfo of one of the clips, as well as give general (detailed) description of the SD card's folder + file structure. This could help us further assist, if that's even possible.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hey Scott, thanks for the reply.....I did look at the properties of each 3 minute segment, but didn't know much more than not having the knowledge to ascertain what they meant.
    It's AVI and each are in & around 273MB
    Properties:
    Length 00:03:00
    Frame width/height; 1920X1080
    Data Rate; 12024kbps
    Bit rate; 12730 kbps
    Frame rate; 30fps
    When I run the camera in the record mode it seems to record without these 3 minute brakes. Yes I looked at gopro and when I learn to download and can work/look at a video without this kind of problem I would consider the more expensive approach.
    Again thank you.
    Ed
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hmm...I'm now guessing that, if the files originally on the SD card are longer than 3 minutes, it is something to do with the "downloading" of them that is breaking them up. What do you specifically mean by downloading? - Just a file copy in Windows Explorer from SD card to HDD? or a specific process as mentioned in your Mftr-supplied edit software?
    Because it could very well be that the software is doing the breaking up. Maybe it thinks (inaccurately) that 3 minutes are more Manageable segments with which to edit? Some of the Sony Consumer cam software does that exact thing.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks Scott, Windows media player, they are all windows based on this pc exception being quick time player, so with no knowledge of what to look for other than asking dingy questions I'm assuming I should be looking at something like ivideo or some-such downloads of video software?

Best, Ed
    Last edited by ST1100rider; 26th Feb 2014 at 22:59.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ??? That was a little tangential.

OK let's back up to the beginning.

Look at the original files that should still reside on your SD card. Unfortunately, I cannot find an actual manual for that particular device (or even BRAND) anywhere on the net. So I'm going to have to assume it is patterned after the GoPro.
    <edit>If files no longer reside on the card, you are in a little trouble. For the sake of example, using a 2nd card, you could shoot some new footage and then look at that...</edit>

Looking into the contents of the card using Windows Explorer, in the Root of the card, you should see a folder labelled, "DCIM". Within that, you should see another folder, labelled something similar to, "100GOPRO".
    Within THAT folder, you should see video files labelled similar to, "GOPR####.MP4".

Copy those to your Harddisk (My Documents/My Videos folder or similar as desired).
    *Honestly: you shouldn't need to be "downloading" anything, just normal file copying from card to HDD.

Run MediaInfo on one of those copied files, and post here a text export from that DETAILED readout.

This will at least get anyone else viewing onto the same page (including myself).

Then, it's just a matter of "What (free?) software works best with those types of files?" The answer to this depends alot on what you intend to do with the files: play them, edit them (combine? cut? FX?), convert them for use with DVD-Video and/or Blu-Ray?, upload them to Youtube, etc?...

Hopefully, the MediaInfo will also solve the riddle of the small file lengths, too.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You're not giving us enough info. Open one of your files in question with MediaInfo, then use the top-menu "View" item to select "Text View". Then use your mouse to select and copy copy the information in that entire panel and paste into in your reply.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 03:18.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ok, thanks all, I have the 64bit version of 7 and it (MI) crashed so I'll try a bit later. I'll try and redo later today.
    Just found out thru woot that camera is warranted thru http://www.pyleaudio.com/ContactUs.aspx

Best, Ed
    Last edited by ST1100rider; 27th Feb 2014 at 11:07.
    Quote Quote  
  9. General
    Complete name : F:\CAR\20130426_011117.AVI
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 273 MiB
    Duration : 3mn 0s
    Overall bit rate : 12.7 Mbps

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=15
    Codec ID : H264
    Bit rate : 12.0 Mbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 30.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.193
    Stream size : 258 MiB (94%)

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Little
    Format settings, Sign : Signed
    Codec ID : 1
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 705.6 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 1 channel
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 15.2 MiB (6%)
    Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 70 ms (2.09 video frames)

Hope this is what you all are asking about, if not I'll try a different approach.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    According to MediaInfo the clip is exactly 3 minutes in duration. I'm not familiar with the camera, but it's giving you a kind of hybrid HD video. It's an "AVI", but don't confuse AVI with being a "format". It's a container that can accept many codecs. The codec used is h264/AVC, which is also used for BluRay and AVCHD, and it's a fairly suitable bitrate (again, fairly suitable) for fast-action HD video at 1920x1080.

There are some limitations that you should keep in mind, depending on what you want to do with these videos. If you want HD as in BluRay or AVCHD, the accepted standard for audio sampling is 48KHz, not 44KHz. What you have seems IMO to be high definition DV-AVI. BluRay and AVCHD do play at 30fps (actually, it's 29.972 fps), but those standards call for interlaced video on BluRay, not progressive, at that frame rate. One version of standard AVCHD can be 60FPS (59.94) progressive. Of course the structure is compatible with most media players. Some set top players might balk at 30fps progressive playing from optical disc, some might work OK.

It all depends on what you want to do with these recordings. Either your camera is set to record for 3 minutes, or it might have different settings.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 03:18.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Ok, to me the whole idea of either a 16GB or 32GB card in a video format is to run continued video...not 3 minute segments, soooooo it's back to the camera not set up properly? The intentions are to have a few saved video files on rides thru the southwest parts of the US that I can share with folks with like interests. If the operation of the camera shows a continued "recording" past the 3 minute segments IMHO it's seems it would be a setting-code? whatever between the sd card and my HP software....but then again I'm just not a newbie, I'm a novice at this at best.

Thanks, I'll keep working at it.
    Best, Ed
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, I did mention that it could be the manufacturer's firmware.

I myself have a Fuji Finepix W3 Stereo3D camera/camcorder, and when I try to shoot long segments, it has a very inelegant way of breaking them up. It shoots until it hits the 4GB file limit (it's formatted as FAT32, so I wouldn't expect otherwise). At that point it is supposed to roll-over and continue recording on a subsequent file. However, there is ALWAYS a gap (even though there didn't used to be a gap prior to a firmware upgrade). And then, every once in a while, it won't even roll-over, but stops at the 4GB ceiling!
    Lost a bit of good wedding & dance competition footage that way, so I intend to only use it as a B-cam in further shoots. Has a few other quirks that make it a love/hate thing. Still a great cam though.

Anyway, you might be stuck with the 3min limit. Was there ever any info in the mftr literature that explicitly SAID you could get long segments?
    The capability of putting it onto a 16 or 32GB card in those cases really only means you could put more clips on it without it getting full (which is important: I went through 64GB of footage on a shoot a month ago, but wished I'd had 64 MORE GB to get additional stuff - it's never enough).

Now, back to your problem: If that's what is DIRECT off of the SD card, there should be no interference or other interaction going on from any software (barring extremely rare exceptions). Maybe you CAN change that in the settings. However, I cannot help much there as I have not been able to find a single electronic document pertaining to this device anywhere on the net. Do YOU have a pdf manual? If so, post it here (if within limits) or PM me and I can give you Dropbox folder to upload it to. That is really your best bet right now.

Barring a pdf, do you have a paper manual? (Dear God, I hope it is more than just a few pages long! Perfect example of how some companies SKIMP and others don't.)

As sanlyn has mentioned, your cam outputs AVI using the AVC/h.264 video codec.
    BTW, @sanlyn, I would NEVER use the term "DV-AVI" to refer to this kind of file. That is more rightly reserved for AVI containers which house the muxed DV data stream (codecs: DV, DVC, DVcam, DVCPro, DVCPro50, DVCPro100, stream type: IVAS), which is different than AVIs that house simple Video + Audio elementary streams (many different codecs, stream types: VIDS, AUDS). Note that when using Type2 DV-AVIs, the IVAS stream is relabeled as VIDS for compatibility reasons, but it is still an IVAS stream under the hood.

There do seem to be some quirks to this file. As noted, it is rare to find camera h.264 natively stored in an AVI. Also, the audio samplerate is appropriate for CD use, but non-standard for digital video work. Plus, it's Mono. But at least it is LPCM.

Filename is a timestamp, that's kind of normal, and answers how the cam labels things.

Did you notice if this cam "rolls-over" like I mentioned above, or does it stop recording after 3min.? And if it rolls-over, is there a time gap between the end of one and the start of the next? If you aren't sure, you could shoot a clock for ~10 minutes and find out.

Hopefully, you'll have more info soon and we can continue...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hey Scott, yea I just got thru running the camera for over ten minutes walking around and then did a playback on the camera, without USB to the PC. or sd card slot in the pc. It's broken up into 3 minute segments as well so you might be spot on. I did hear back from this Pyle Service Center in NY who has warranty rights to this camera wanting me to send it back to them for diagnostics/repair, which should be interesting. For the record the manual is albeit a tad small for my older eyesight @ 3x4.5 it does have 22 pages of info/and instruction/ system requirements etc. but no pdf.

So I'll get my receipt and last minute questions answered from this audio group and maybe we'll have a different outcome... "IF" they have a fix.

I sure appreciate all the input and patience you all have shown a novice....I'll stay in touch, and let you know what the end result is, I really like combing through this site.....might even learn some stuff...

Again thank you, best, Ed
    Quote Quote  
  14. EJ here, found out the camera makes video in segments/clips if you will., tis what it tis'. Fat32 using either 16 or 32GBs mini SD Cards suggested grade 10! So I'm now trying to figure out what to use for software after trying the mess on my HP called windows media and live movie maker which seems like not as user friendly as it should be. By the way the camera company "Pyle Audio" sent a new camera as a replacement but no issued instructional change to anything other than the instruction manual that comes with the camera. Info at: www.pyleaudio.com

Running clips together isn't really an issue what is, is trying to get them to a shared level like sending them via emails. Can't quite get past the "live movie makers" ( projects ) window. We'll keep at it........

Suggested software info would be welcomed

Again thank you. Ed
    Quote Quote  
  15. I've been looking into these types of camera's, came across this post and thought I'd contribute to your latest inquiry. I am not experienced with Movie Maker, but I do have experience with Wonderfox Soft's HD Video Converter Factory Pro software. This program can merge multiple clips together and convert them to other video formats. I find this software very easy to use and works quite well. Hope this helps.

Chris

http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/hd-video-converter/
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    WMM/Live Movie Maker is a TOY! If you are actually trying to create, not just dick around as a learing/hobby, you would use that just like you would use a butter knife on meat: as a last resort when nothing else is available. You've got the "meat", get a good butcher's knife!

You get what you pay for, so trying to go the freeware route with Video Editing will just give you heartache. I suggest Vegas Movie Studio. At ~ $79USD, it can do a whole lot, including much of what it's big brother Vegas Pro can do. You won't have any annoying problem with bin size there (assuming that's what you were talking about).
    If you actually were referring to SHARING your files, you should NOT be emailing them, but using a hosting/viewing site like Youtube/Vimeo, or you should be using a Shared Cloud Storage like DropBox. Or go old school with FTP.

@ST100rider, did you ever get clear whether there are gaps in the rollover?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hey Scott yea, there are gaps and this is a learning process so using a descent video software might eliminate some issues that is showing right now. The gaps can be smoothed out when you go from a video clip (ie. live mm) to what is called a "movie maker"....guess I had better look at dropbox or the like after getting a decent software package.rolleyes:

The cameras biggest issue I've seen is it's constantly adjusting for what light there is....I did run it on the front of my motorcycle and with bumps aside it was constantly adjusting light levels heading south into the sunlight (midday) and quite the opposite while heading the opposite to the north. With that being written I assume a good software would correct most of this....I really don't know.

Walk-around video seems quite good really so we'll keep plugging away at it and see what we come up with.

Thanks fellas appreciate the advise.

EJ
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yep, Auto-Iris/Auto-Exposure. GoPro has it too.

AVISynth has tools to improve that with a slight to great extent depending upon the material, however, that may be a little beyond your level of understanding at this point.

Glad to help,

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  19. I was looking for a driver for my GearPro and came across this post. I read through my manual and there's a switch on the right hand side of the camera (mode switch) to switch from cam to vid to 'car mode'. The version I have will record in 5 min segments (720 model) and store them to memory until the card fills, then starts deleting the oldest videos at that point. Maybe this will help? Also, when mine is in 'car mode' there's a pic of a little car in the bottom of the LCD. Have a nice day!
    Quote Quote