VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, in general I have no issues, I use Shark007's codec packs. The one slight problem I have is when playing a video file, and the picture is very dark (like in a scary movie when they are looking around in a dark house etc.) the screen can go into almost standby mode. You can still see the picture but its very dark, as soon as I move the mouse, or say a light is turned on in the video it will come back. I have looked through all the settings I can find on my monitor, and in MPC but cannot seem to discover what causes this and how to stop it.

Dre.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Test using a different player. If it doesn't occur in the that player, it's not a hardware/monitor issue.

Sounds like a player issue, possibly related to codecs. I use MPC-HC, but not Shark007's codecs.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. wild guess: Laptop + energy saving which dims down the monitor after some time with no mouse movement,...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK so I was watching a film today and it did it again, so I started playback of the same film with Windows Media Player and at the same point in the film it did the same thing.

Its like the playback is so dark something puts the monitor into a sleep mode, but its not the monitor because when that happens it says that its going into power saving mode, and switches into standby. This is different, I can still see the picture, but it gets much darker. And then when there is more light in the picture it comes back up to full brightness. Its an instant change too, not a fade.

@Selur This is on a desktop PC not a laptop.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It seems odd the problem is rectified by moving the mouse.

Your video card probably has various quality settings. I'd open it's "control panel" to see if there's any picture enhancing stuff enabled, and disable anything which is.

I'd try downloading a portable version of MPC-HC. Unzip it to a folder, open it, go into it's options and select "save settings to ini file", restart the player, go back into it's options and use the reset button under "Miscellaneous". The "save settings to ini file" option should isolate the player from any (sharktooth) settings in the registry, and after resetting it, it should use it's internal filters for playback. Hopefully that'll eliminate the use of any of the installed "system" codecs. If the problem goes away, then you might need to delve into some of the codec pack options. I've never used the Shark007 codec packs.
    Or even try a non directshow player such as VLC or SMPlayer. They'll use their internal filters for playback as they can't use system codecs, so you shouldn't need to mess about with ini file options or resetting them.
    WMP and MPC-HC are probably using the same system codecs, hence my suggestion of eliminating them from the playback process one way or another.

The monitor is LCD? Does it happen to have settings of it's own for adjusting brightness according to ambient light, or maybe reduce brightness if it thinks you've not used it for a while? I don't know how likely that is, but maybe looking via the monitor's front panel buttons might be an idea.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dre9872 View Post
    Hi, in general I have no issues, I use Shark007's codec packs. The one slight problem I have is when playing a video file, and the picture is very dark (like in a scary movie when they are looking around in a dark house etc.) the screen can go into almost standby mode. You can still see the picture but its very dark, as soon as I move the mouse, or say a light is turned on in the video it will come back. I have looked through all the settings I can find on my monitor, and in MPC but cannot seem to discover what causes this and how to stop it.

Dre.
    Hi,
    Yes! I met with this rubbish and something happens it turned out that LG Smart TV was in power saving mode - on dark scenes
    reduced luminosity LEDs

Looking for dynamic control of brightness and energy saving
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok tried it with VLC Player and got the same result.

Looked through the monitors menu again but couldn't see anything that might cause this.

Edit:
    The only 2 settings on the monitor setup menu i don't understand are under the option submenu, and they are DDC CI and RTC both of which are off.
    Quote Quote