VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi

I have a bluray player(DivX,MP4) and a DVD player(DivX) that i have used to burn DVD Video (Mpeg2) (from VHS source) since i can only fit 3 hours of VHS footage (720x576) onto DVD9 I am hoping to try other codecs DivX and H264 (H264 for bluray player)
    so

How many hours of DivX ( MP2 audio ) VHS footage can you store onto a DVD9 and what resolution to use (720x576, 640x480, 352x576) i want to keep the 4:3 AP

Is the AVI the most stable container for DivX codec and what version of DivX offers the best compression,quality and compatibility with most DVD/Bluray players (DivX 3.xx, DivX 4.xx, DivX 5.xx, XVID, DivX 6.xx)

Also

How many hours of MP4 H.264 ( AAC audio) VHS footage can you store onto a DVD9 and what resolution to use (720x576, 640x480, 352x576) i want to keep the 4:3 AP

Is the MP4 the most stable container for H.264 codec and any advantages/disadvanatges of using MPEG-4 AVC codec rather than H.264

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by zack28 View Post
    Hi

I have a bluray player(DivX,MP4) and a DVD player(DivX) that i have used to burn DVD Video (Mpeg2) (from VHS source) since i can only fit 3 hours of VHS footage (720x576) onto DVD9 I am hoping to try other codecs DivX and H264 (H264 for bluray player)
    so

How many hours of DivX ( MP2 audio ) VHS footage can you store onto a DVD9 and what resolution to use (720x576, 640x480, 352x576) i want to keep the 4:3 AP

Is the AVI the most stable container for DivX codec and what version of DivX offers the best compression,quality and compatibility with most DVD/Bluray players (DivX 3.xx, DivX 4.xx, DivX 5.xx, XVID, DivX 6.xx)

Also

How many hours of MP4 H.264 ( AAC audio) VHS footage can you store onto a DVD9 and what resolution to use (720x576, 640x480, 352x576) i want to keep the 4:3 AP

Is the MP4 the most stable container for H.264 codec and any advantages/disadvanatges of using MPEG-4 AVC codec rather than H.264

Thanks in advance
    You DO realize that you keep mentioning DVD and DVD9. A playable DVD must be MPEG2 video(or MPEG1 if you are desperate) and must be authored to DVD specs including a VIDEO_TS folder, VOB files, and all of the related DVD spec files. No other codecs (either video or audio) will do.
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvd

If you are talking about "storage" of video files to a DVD disc AS DATA....then you can continue this conversation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You can fit as many hours of footage onto a DVD9 as you are willing to put up with (qualitywise). It is all down to bitrate.

3hours = 10800 sec.
    DVD9 = 7.96GB, or 8140.8MB or 65126.4Mb
    65126.4 / 10800 = 6Mbps.

Depending on your material (H'wood movies vs. shaky, low-light home movies), you ought to be able to get DOUBLE your current amount by using 1/2 the bitrate (though it would best be matched using 1/2 D1 resolution of 352x576 instead of the full D1). Since VHS-sourced material doesn't have the resolution to begin with, you really aren't sacrificing much.

AFA other, more efficient codec options (Divx, h.264 MP4), this depends a LOT upon the implementation as exists in your hardware players. Yet, you didn't give us any model# details regarding either of them, so we have little way of knowing exactly what they are capable of (and I'm not about to try guessing).

In general, MPEG4-ASP (aka Divx / Xvid) is 1.5x-2x more efficient than MPEG2 (given the same source materials & equivalent parameters). MPEG4-Part10 (aka h.264 / AVC) is 1.5-3x more efficient than THAT (so, 2.25x-6x vs. MPEG2, depending upon many conditions).

Standard Divx, BY DEFINITION, used the AVI container (newer implementations of HD Divx uses MKV, IIRC). AFA compatibility and quality is concerned, your best bet is to go with either Xvid or Divx 5.x or 6.x, if you do deciide to convert.

MP4 is the NORMAL (usual?) container for AVC, though many container formats do support it. As mentioned just above, AVC ≡ h.264, so there wouldn't any differences better or worse.

BTW, I think you mean 4:3 AR (aspect ratio), not AP.

Note: regardless of whether you go the 1/2 bitrate 1/2D1 MPEG2 route, or the Divx/Xvid or AVC routes, by converting & recompressing your existing footage, you WILL be losing quality. And with VHS source footage, you don't have much quality to begin with.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Resolution is irrelevant but at lower resolutions you can potentially get away with lower bit rates and not notice a drop in quality, which would allow you to fit more video on a disc.

We've had reports of some recently made BD/DVD players that now flat out refuse to play any files encoded with Divx rather than Xvid. This is a licensing thing. You can fix such files by using a free program like AVI FourCC Code Changer to change the FourCC code to Xvid. This does not involve any re-encoding and tricks the player into playing the file. Such players actually can play Divx encoded files (there's nothing magical about Divx vs. Xvid) but the Divx guys may have made their license charge high enough that nobody wants to pay it now, so the player simply refuses to play Divx encoded files rather than get hit with a licensing violation issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I normally would NEVER say resolution was irrelevant. In this case, certainly the expectation of quality based on resolution is different because of the inherent reduced resolution of the source VHS. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're getting at. In the overall quality equation (a superset of the filesize/bitrate equation), resolution is very much an important factor.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Many thanks for the reply

Sorry my players are LG BD560 and Pioneer DV-610 AV they both have USB ports which when i connect a pen drive or portable hd can play most of my PC video files (xxxxx.avi, xxxxxx.mp4, xxxxxxxx.mkv) (Mp4,mkv bd560 only)

Can i create a DVD9 PC DATA DISC with a pc file system (1990wedding.avi, 1988birthday.mp4) which will show the files when i put the DVD9 data disc into the DVD Player, bluray player, or is this something which is reserved for the usb port only

Sorry for any confusion
    Quote Quote  
  7. Code:
    file size = bitrate * running time
    So you can put as much as you like on a DVD by using lower and lower bitrate. The question is: at what point will the bitrate result in unwatchable video quality. That depends on the codec, the settings used, the particular videos (some compresses better than others), and your tolerance for artifacts.

Even though your BD560 plays MP4, MKV, AVI, etc. files those are not part of the DVD spec. The next player you buy may not support any of them.
    Quote Quote