VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Am having an old Win XP system with 2 GB RAM, and a PCI video card. While it plays 720p videos well, am having lag on 1080p videos.

Any suggestions on how to optimize PotPlayer for my system and 1080p videos?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Potplayer documentation is really bad but look for things like file cache adjustment, frame drop. I don't find what I've seen on forums to be all that useful ... frankly I don't think many really knowledgeable users use potpleyer.

On old hardware you should be willing to try different programs. They don't all have the same renedering performance, and in Windows I didn't find potplayer that great. Frankly vlc isn't that wonderful either. Some programs are just faster than others.

I found a good article on the arch linux wikis the other day on how to get better performance with video that isn't well supported in linux. Like this netbook I'm using now that fortunately I don't use to play video on. They recommend using mplayer instead of vlc, and it really renders better.

I used smplayer (which is a GUI front end for mplayer) as my default in windows 7 and still do with linux. It really gives better rendering than either potplayer or vlc. Just look up good mplayer cache settings if you try it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    file cache adjustment, frame drop.
    File cache adjustment: You can find it in preferences - Codec/filter - Internal Splitter/Source setup button - Cache size

Frame drop: Preferences - Codec/Filter - Video Codec - Internal Codec/DxVA setup button - there is a frame drop option at the top-left of a dialog window.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good to know that stuff is there. However, I found potplayer like mpchc when it came to settings. It's definitely not an easy to use player anymore.

This is why I recommended smplayer. Not only is the decoder engine faster but the settings are much more intuitive.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well, it's just your taste.

I have SMPlayer and VLC on my desktop but do not use for general purpose. I only keep them as backup players in case directshow players doesn't work well. As you can guess, the players based on directshow framework nearly work perfect without any problems. Because of that there is hardly any chance to use VLC or SMPlayer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't use Win XP anymore and I'm not advanced user, but I've spent some time fiddling with PotPlayer settings. Recently I noticed that my player uses twice more % CPU playing Ultra HD (AVC1/h.264 and HEVC/h.265) than for example MPC-BE (you can check it as well. latest nightly: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpcbe/files/MPC-BE/Nightly%20Builds%20%28from%20svn%20trunk%29/) . The culprit was Built-in Video Codec/Transformer. It's an intermediate PotPlayer filter. When you turn it off you lose capturing feature and all the video settings like brightness etc I think. But when I turned it off my CPU usage dropped a lot. It could be someting in-between the Transformer and GPU hardware acceleraltion. I'm not sure and it may be not your case (does your graphic card have any? I suppose not?), but it's worth checking.

Preferences - Filter Control - Built-in Video processing filter settings - toggle Condition to Disable or Disable with the following conditions. Then you can tick FourCC (check if codecs of your video are there, like AVC1, H264 and/or Extension (MKV, MP4 or whatever you use) and/or Resolution etc.
    Try to tick/untick Use built-in video stream switcher.

What codecs/filters do you use? LAV filters are quite good,universal and clean for the system now. Try ffdshow too.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sheppaul View Post
    I have SMPlayer and VLC on my desktop but do not use for general purpose. I only keep them as backup players in case directshow players doesn't work well. As you can guess, the players based on directshow framework nearly work perfect without any problems. Because of that there is hardly any chance to use VLC or SMPlayer.
    Same here. I don't know whether SMPlayer has improved since I last tried it but it was fairly featureless when I did, and I had issues with it and multiple monitors. And of course you can't use Reclock with it, as you can't with VLC. Does SMPlayer support DXVA? If it doesn't it'd seem odd using it on any Windows PC with a video card capable of decoding.... at least to me.
    I find Potplayers preferences to be somewhat of a mess to navigate, but MPC-HC's preferences are well organised. I'd be keen to know how the cache settings Hoser Rob so often refers to can make a player render video faster if you change them.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jackuars View Post
    Am having an old Win XP system with 2 GB RAM, and a PCI video card. While it plays 720p videos well, am having lag on 1080p videos.

Any suggestions on how to optimize PotPlayer for my system and 1080p videos?
    With an old CPU you will at least need a half decent GPU to play full 1080p. If both your CPU and GPU are underpowered than forget about it!

I can use PotPlayer on an Win XP system with an AM2 4200 dual core CPU [2.2GHz] (v.slow by today's standards), 2GB RAM (not so vital here), and an nVidia 8800 GTS (512 MB) PCI Express 2.0 (×16) GPU. -- NB: PCIe is not the same as the older PCI slots though.

It will play 1080p AVC/H264 (full Blu-ray bandwidth) smoothly with DXVA enabled (that's DirectX Video Acceleration or Hardware decoding). When it comes to 1080p VC1 it's slower but still smooth enough, but only with the older versions of PotPlayer. e.g. Version 1.5.35491 (not sure at what point it was broken). No other codecs or filters were required, just an old gaming video card and enabling DXVA.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I don't know if this will help (and apologize for the Necro-Thread-Loving, this is the first result on google for the problem I had)...

Install CoreAVC.
    Restart PotPlayer.
    Follow This Guide: https://youtu.be/AG1imllp5QA (If you have English Potplayer don't worry, all the controls are in the same place so still follow it exactly).

Solved my problem I had for PotPlayer stuttering and lagging with only Youtube 720p Videos, which it now no longer does.
    CoreAVC can be purchased directly from the publisher, but I did also hear that it can be found in other less reputable locations that I would of course never advise anyone to visit...
    Quote Quote  
  10. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AVCItsEasy View Post
    I don't know if this will help (and apologize for the Necro-Thread-Loving,

this is the first result on google for the problem I had)...
    Please stop trusting Google blindly. It has never known the actual meaning of the word 'relevance', and it never will.

Install CoreAVC.
    Restart PotPlayer.
    Follow This Guide: https://youtu.be/AG1imllp5QA (If you have English Potplayer don't worry, all the controls are in the same place so still follow it exactly).

Solved my problem I had for PotPlayer stuttering and lagging with only Youtube 720p Videos, which it now no longer does.
    CoreAVC can be purchased directly from the publisher, but I did also hear that it can be found in other less reputable locations that I would of course never advise anyone to visit...
    Even the 32-bit build of LAV Video is as fast as both CoreAVC and the DivX H.264 Decoder.
    Also, CoreAVC became abandonware:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1633309#post1633309
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 9th Apr 2016 at 20:01. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks Heggunte, food for though there.

I only just tried another Youtube video today and the problem still remains, so I'm back to square one still getting terrible lag with even 720p videos.
    So sorry to have awakened a dead thread for nothing.

Best,
    AVCItsEasy.
    Quote Quote