VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been trying unsuccessfully to convert and burn a blu-ray movie to NTSC compatible dvd disc, so that my family can watch together some of our favourite movies when we travel. My laptop plays my blu-ray movies, but mostly we encounter non HD tvs so I cannot use an hdmi cable transfer. After a great many hours of research and experimentation, I have reached the following situation. Using Aiseesoft Blu-ray Ripper, I clipped the blu-ray 2.6 GB main movie part into six 20 minute or about 475MB max segments. I next deleted unnecessary supplementary files such as alternative scenes, reducing total size to well under 4GB. Using Aiseesoft, I then converted all the remaining files to NTSC optimized DVD (VOB) format. I created AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS folders, and into the latter I placed all the files. I then renamed all the files in playing sequence to VTS_01_x.VOB. I next processed files, starting with the first, in IFOEDIT using "create IFOs". IFOEDIT read all the files and apparently processed them, but subsequently froze not generating an IFO file. However, if I deleted the 6 segments of the main movie files, IFOEDIT was able to generate an IFO file for the short credits and introductory segments only. All the Aiseesoft generated VOB files played flawlessly on my computer, on VLC player or Corel WinDVD Pro player, but the reduced (minus main movie) set of files with their IFO & BUP files, still would not play on IFOEDIT simulated "dvd player" which complained of “no valid DVD-Video volume”. The detailed properties of all (incl. main movie segments) the VOB files were identical: 720x480, 9000kbps, 29/s frame rate, bit rate 192kbps, audio sample rate 44 kHz.
    Any ideas as to why IFOEDIT cannot generate an IFO file from the six main movie VOB segments? Or why the IFO file from the reduced set still will not work? I realise that I still have to slightly edit the audio details of the IFO file - when I finally get one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You do know that there is such a thing as "authoring" software, don't you? It does most of those steps automatically, and more importantly correctly. I would recommend one of those (particularly an all-in-one ripping+converting+authoring tool such as what DvdFab might provide), NOT aiseesoft.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by pcaker View Post
    After a great many hours of research and experimentation, I have reached the following situation. Using Aiseesoft Blu-ray Ripper, I clipped the blu-ray 2.6 GB main movie part into six 20 minute or about 475MB max segments.
    It doesn't sound odd to you that a full length 2-hour Blu-Ray movie was only 2.6GB? Even DVD main movies aren't that small. Or was the 2.6 a typo?

Trash this Aiseesoft Blu-ray Ripper. I hope you didn't pay anything for it. Then extract the main movie as a single file using DVDFab HD Decrypter and feed the result into AvsToDVD to make the DVD for you. That's one way to do it, anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    BERebuilder can solve all of your problems easily. Getting it working the first time can be tricky, but it's easy to get it to produce valid NTSC DVD output from BD input. I have done that before for a friend. You'll have to rip the BluRay disc first before using BDRebuilder.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I have to agree with jman98. BD Rebuilder is the easiest way to do this conversion. Select Alternate Movie Only output and choose which size DVD you want, a single layer DVD-5 or double layer DVD-9. BD Rebuilder output to DVD is NTSC by default. You'd have to go into Settings and manually add a check in the box for PAL ouput.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank-you to all four responders for your suggestions, which I shall digest and then try some combination of them.
    2.6 GB was not a typo, the blu-ray disc was described as having lots of alternative scenes, and I assumed - without checking it out enough apparently - that these accounted for the difference.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    even a single layer BR disc is like 25gb

you have to rip and convert and then author and burn to NSTC DVD

while BR conforms to the NEW HIGHER broadcast standard, it is NOT DVD compatible, not the same standard

even with all extras stripped, the original full movie is going to way over the 4.2 GB of a std DVD no where near as small as 2.6gb

thats what everybody is trying to get you to understand

and it takes special software to copy/rip BR discs
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm more of a newbie when it comes to DVD authoring. Can someone also please point me out to a tutorial? Any software would do if possible.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Is your source a bluray?
    Quote Quote