VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Some forums make threads "time out", so that they're locked after, say, 6 months or a year without activity.

This makes sense because often the problems and solutions in the threads are no longer applicable or relevant (software has probably been updated since).

If someone has a similar problem they can start a fresh thread and, if required, link to the dead one for reference.

How about doing something similar with this forum?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    i greatly support such a plan.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I don't get why some people are so upset by this. I don't care at all if someone revives some old thread.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    But sometimes common problems come back. I'm not sure I agree to unilaterally limit reviving old topics if they are still viable. Really, it should be decided on a case-to-case basis. And that's what Mods and Administrators are for.

Sure, some new members may be 'grave diggers' that only want to promote their own narrow agenda. But that's usually obvious. I don't really see a problem with controlling this. Most often, our members will inform us of this. Again, that's a Moderator or Administrators job to control this.

The other side of this is that some new members don't really understand about posting in old threads. It's not so obvious that a post is old unless you look closely.

If a member seems to make a practice of digging up old threads just to promote an opinion or a certain software, then yes, they should be censured and usually are.

But I don't see that posting in old threads is always a threat to our forums.

But our Administrator always has the final say.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Someone with an agenda can start a new thread as well as revive an old one. It's just as annoying either way. Locking old threas won't stop them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    How do you make a VCD?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    VCD....???

You do a search here for 'VCD' and you read the 'old threads'. There are still a fair amount of the world where VCD is a popular and regular format due to the local cost of CDs vs DVD media.
    Last edited by redwudz; 26th Feb 2014 at 00:34.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Computer says no.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @redwudz, I'm surprised at you. That was a total joke! Meant to be the sort of thing someone (new) would tack onto the end of a thread, without paying attention to the rules. You should have remembered that I know as much about VCD creation as anyone here (probably more, with the exception of Michael Tam aka Vitualis).

Ah, well. Some days it doesn't pay to be a smart-alec.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    @cornucopia, I did post a smiley with my comment. I was trying to be facietious, and I wanted to toss in the 'old threads' comment. Sorry. Not so good at humor.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    2 peas in a pod then.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Computer says no.
    Well that's it then.

Doesn't bother me. The reactions by veteran members are often funny when someone dredges up an old thread.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most necros come from a Google search, it seems. Quite often the new post is relevant and every Google click through is good for a forum. As long as it's on topic I say fine.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I always get a smile when some regular answers these posts not realizing the age of the thread.
    I say leave things as they are. The responses can be really funny.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I don't get why some people are so upset by this. I don't care at all if someone revives some old thread.
    Definitely in agreement here. On another site (nothing to do with video), in a thread I began, about 8 months later I find that I can not post some very relevant updates + better, updated pics, due to some automated and arbitrary thread lock that appears to happen about 6 months after the last post. Needless to say, this is extremely annoying, and counter-productive !
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What if you were to have some additional "hurdles" (non-defaulting OK/Cancel, "are you sure" modal dialogs, warnings), with time-sensitive prompts to suggest new topics/threads? Wouldn't that help cut down the necroposting?

Same thing with newbie non-researched items (check-offs on having done searches)...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe it's time to timeout the constant reviving of this topic

Btw) I agree with dealing with this on a case by case basis. It's not an epidemic here.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote