VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I give regular talks to a classical music society, during which I usually present several carefully chosen extracts from my opera, ballet or concert Blu-ray recordings. Up to now I have just used the original disks, which are a pain to navigate quickly, but I'm trying to find a much slicker solution based on the rips I am making for my own purposes at home. These are lossless rips in MKV format. In many cases, they have multiple subtitle tracks and multiple audio tracks.

I have converted the original Blu-ray subtitles from PGS format to VOB format, as that is the only way they will work on my Oppo BDP-105 media player.

I am therefore looking for an editor that will let me create extracts from MKV files, while preserving multiple hi-def VOB subtitles (preserving multiple audio tracks is not vital as I would normally only be able to use the stereo track during my presentations). I would prefer to maintain the original video quality and would thus like to avoid any need for re-encoding. Finally, a visual editing interface would make the extract selection process much easier and faster.

Does such an editor exist?

David
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope.

Maybe can mkvmergegui edit(no visual editor, you must type in time codes) and preserve the subtitle. But I'm not sure.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    MKVMerge can split a file and preserve the subtitles but it's no use for helping me to decide where to split and I can't see any way to specify the length of the required extract. This probably means that I would have to run MKVMerge a second time on one of the files derived from the first split. Overall, it seems like no more than a very awkward partial solution to my problem.

My issues with MKVMerge in this context are made even worse by the fact that I would normally want to make around 10 extracts from a single opera recording. Ideally, I'm looking for an editing interface that is similar to Adobe Premiere Elements but without the associated re-encoding.

David
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can split/join by parts so you don't have to run mkvmerge several times, https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/359121-How-to-extract-parts-from-a-mkv-including-al...ubtitle-tracks

But yes, a visual editor would be much easier. You can check if solveigmm video splitter supports mkv sub.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Many thanks for that clarification of how to use MKVMerge properly for this purpose. That now makes it a much more attractive solution.

I had already tried SolveigMM Video Splitter but could see no way to include my subtitles. I emailed the author about this a week ago but have not yet received any reply.

David
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    While I was writing my last post a minute or two ago, a response from SolveigMM arrived in my inbox!

They have a beta version that they claim will support subtitles and gave me the following download link:

http://www.solveigmm.com/files/SolveigMM_Video_Splitter_Home_Edition_4_0_1402_5_Subtit...s_MKV_Beta.exe
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried it?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I tried to do a quick check of this beta version but the app is very slow to respond and I suspect that it needs a lot more than my current 6GB of RAM. I've run out of time to play with it any more just now, so I'll have to report back later.

David
    Quote Quote