VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can anyone please tell me if there is a way to rebox a whole folder at once rather than just a single file at a time?? Example.... I have the complete collection of Breaking Bad, all of which are in MKV, I have Rebox.net but am finding no way to open the whole folder into rebox, am having to do one episode at a time. Is this just how it has to be done or is there a faster way? Maybe a different reboxxing tool?? The quality is excellent so I do not need to change anything, just need it in MP4 to "PlayTo" my Xbox One.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can try mkv2mp4. It can batch rebox/remux to mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You're not going to like what I have to tell you and you won't pay attention to it now. But maybe you'll think about it because over time you will see that I am right.

It is foolishness to let any one device dictate to you what format your media files are in and having to convert to satisfy such a device is a fool's errand. You'd be much better off to just buy something that understands MKV like a Western Digital media player and get on with your life than to convert files for years to whatever stupid crap the Xbox requires.
    Quote Quote  
  4. jman98, Thank you sir, that would be awesome, and I would not have any problem with spending money on a device that would play any and all codecs and file types....if I could find one. I actually bought the WD TV Live to stream from my WD My Cloud, but same problem, it is not recognizing .MKV files. So, if this is not the device you are referring to them please, by all means, tell me which one will play them??? Then I can delete all this re-coding, re-boxing, re-mixing....crap from my laptop.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by moniker00 View Post
    I actually bought the WD TV Live to stream from my WD My Cloud, but same problem, it is not recognizing .MKV files.
    I have a WDTV Live and play MKV files all the time from USB drives and network shares. I suspect your problem was the DLNA server on the My Cloud. Forget that. Just set up some SMB shares.
    Quote Quote  
  6. jagabo, I store all my movie files under the "Public Video" share... I just transferred this Breaking Bad collection over to it and tried it and you are correct, this one does play just fine. So, I then went back to some other MKV ones and for some reason found a few that it will not recognize. I will have to compare a few that don't work with ones I know that do using MediaInfo and see what differences they have. It may be in one of the codecs. Thank you for making me take another look into this. When I first got the WD TV box and it wouldn't play the few MKV files I had, I just assumed it was going to be like the XBOXes and wouldn't play any of them, now I know that is not the case.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Maybe the files that don't play use 10 bit h.264. A lot of anime groups use that. Nothing outside a computer will play those. You'll have to reencode them to 8 bit h.264.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Moniker - have you tried to play the files directly on the wdtv via usb not streaming them?

If they are hi 10 as jagabo suggests you may need to reencode if it can't play them while their streamed.

Megui or ripbot264 can reencode them to a standard profile.

Sent from my Eclipse-X using Tapatalk
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I think at one stage the way MKVs were muxed could upset a WD player. If you find an MKV it won't play and can't work out why, try opening it with MKVMergeGUI and resaving it to see if the new version works.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    I think at one stage the way MKVs were muxed could upset a WD player.
    Yes, MKV "header removal compression" wasn't supported in many players. This became a problem because that became the default setting for a while in mkvtoolnix. Several months later they relented and turned it off by default. A quick remux with the feature turned off will fix that issue.
    Last edited by jagabo; 28th Feb 2014 at 11:41.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Problem fixed. Thank you for all the help. Have a new problem now but am trying to find answers in tutorials before I post a new thread.....Backing up my BluRays to MP4 files.... will post new thread if I can't figure it out. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote