VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have received a video from a camcorder in MOD format. I can play it using Real but the picture is distorted in that the image is too high. It is a head an shoulder video of someone speaking but the head (and rest of the body is nearly twice as high as it should be - making the face exceptionally long.

I downloaded Any Video Converter (being one of the few converter that seem to handle .MOD files to convert the video to WMV so that I can edit the video. The original Video size is 720 x 576 but, no matter which size I selected for conversion to WMV, the video size seems to stay the same - the face is exceptionally long.

Any ideas how to get over this and have the head and shoulders to scale?

Many thanks for any ideas. Incidentally, I'm fairly new to this video editing lark and am not up to speed with all the terms used and being in my mid sixties, I am not very apt at learning new things!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you using windows movie maker as editor?

A good editor should support mod. You might have to rename it to .mpg for some editors.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sound like you have an ordinary anamorphic standard definition video. Think of the pixels as being rectangles instead of squares. The proper display would be equivalent to 1024x576.

You don't need to convert anything. (edit: maybe change the extension as Baldrick suggested. ) Also, use a better player such as MPC-HC downloadable by clicking on the link. It should properly recognize the anamorphic flag in the file. If not, you can force it to 16:9 aspect.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been playing around with this file for some time but everything I have on my laptop, Real and Avidemux show the video as distorted. The only exception is Any Video Converter which has a play video function and the video is correctly proportioned until I convert it to WMV for editing and viewing on a regular Video viewer.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Most editors allow you to override the source aspect ratio after importing the video. Usually by right clicking on the video in the timeline or assets list, then selecting properties, aspect ratio, or something like that.
    Quote Quote