VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have to record video of me drawing with the camera on top.
    I want to touch as little as possible the camera.
    So I'm looking for a camera that:

• records with the electric plug (to avoid having to charge/change the battery);
    • records directly to a computer (to avoid removing the sd card);
    • has a remote control.

Do you know of any camera that does all the listed above?
    Can't spend more than $350/400

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Can you get good quality video from a webcam?
    What model you suggest?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm not up to date on webcams but maybe a Logitech C920. You can see lots of samples at Youtube. Check and see if you can disable the autofocus so it's not wandering around while you hand is moving.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks.. lol, didn't came to mind that I needed just a webcam
    Quote Quote  
  5. I think a webcam will be sufficient for what you described. Presumably you'll have good lighting don't need to capture high speed action. Make sure your editor can handle the resulting video files.
    Quote Quote  
  6. To add to jagabo's insightful comments:

o I have a Logitech C510 which provides "HD" at 720p, with excellent results. According to the comparison chart on my C510's packaging, the Logitech C910 gives full HD at 1080, so it ought to provide superb results. My C510 focus is "always focused" at 40 cm and beyond; the C910 focus is "Autofocus," 7cm and beyond. As jagabo mentioned, you will want to be able to disable an autofocus feature.

o Question: What will be the final output of your video files? DVD? YouTube? Other? The answer may help you decide what minimum quality camera you'll need.

In the spirit of "VideoHELP," don't forget to post here what worked for you!

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I had an old webcam (old very low res) but has a nice feature: I can manually change the focus moving the little objective.
    Hopefully I'll find something that does that (to avoid the autofocus issue).

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Presumably you'll have good lighting don't need to capture high speed action..
    What do you mean by this? I didn't get it.
    I will speed up the movie in post. of me drawing... but maybe you meant another thing...

@CobraPilot: I'll upload them on Youtube. But if I see that the quality is good not just for showing drawings, I'll use it to record my self also. I think at least a 720p, though.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by giove View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Presumably you'll have good lighting don't need to capture high speed action..
    What do you mean by this? I didn't get it.
    I will speed up the movie in post. of me drawing... but maybe you meant another thing...
    Many cameras don't work well in dark settings. The h.264 compression used by the webcam may struggle with high motion shots -- like a soccer game or basketball game. But you have control of the lighting and you're not shooting high action scenes. So a webcam should be fine.

Some webcams come with software that does stop-action recording. For example, you could set the software to capture 1 frame every second (or whatever) and mark it for playback at 30 fps. Then you wouldn't have to speed up the video in post. But speeding up in post is more flexible as you can use whatever speedup you want, even vary it with time.
    Quote Quote  
  9. gotcha. thanks : )
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Some webcams come with software that does stop-action recording. For example, you could set the software to capture 1 frame every second (or whatever) and mark it for playback at 30 fps. Then you wouldn't have to speed up the video in post. But speeding up in post is more flexible as you can use whatever speedup you want, even vary it with time.
    Nice! That could be useful.. the files will be smaller this way.

What would be a good way to fix it? Do they come with the hole for tripods?
    Quote Quote  
  11. The Logitech C920 has a standard tripod mount.
    Quote Quote