VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ripped many of my dvds into .vob files (one per movie) using DVDfab. When testing a few on VLC Media Player I realized that there are multiple audio tracks on most of them such as special features and commentary. Is it possible to "unpack" this vob file, delete what I don't want and repack it?

I'd like to keep the subtitles if possible. Currently the subtitles are working on the files. Menus aren't important to me as ripping my dvds into a vob file got rid of the menus anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use dvdfab to remove the unwanted tracks when you rip it,you can also use dvdshrink to remove unwanted tracks.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    He is probably going to have to re-rip the DVDs since he (foolishly) requested a "one VOB" rip.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only video track I wanted was the movie. Why would I need more than one .vob file?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by roflcopterwoosh View Post
    The only video track I wanted was the movie. Why would I need more than one .vob file?
    I believe that will make it impossible to open in most programs like jonhs0 mentioned. You also cannot burn it back to a DVD since technically it is no longer a "DVD" having only one VOB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by roflcopterwoosh View Post
    Also, there are plenty of movies which span multiple VOBs (since they are, by rule, only allowed to be <1GB each).

IF your 1 vob contained all the movie, and all the streams you desired, you could just demux the streams to elementary streams - M2V video and LPCM or AC3 (or MP2) audio and (probably) SUP subtitles - and then use those as assets to re-author a new DVD. This re-authoring will "repack" your media.

**Note**: it may result in the final spanning beyond a single VOB, unlike your original. This is partly dependent upon the authoring software's understanding of how to mux cells & chapters & titles. Some do it much better than others.

Scott
    "When will the rhetorical questions end?!" - George Carlin
    Quote Quote