VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys, i need your help with this

I'm trying to download some buffering WMV videos from a site. first i thought it would be possible with IDM (Internet Download Manager) but the only file that shows up is like 2kb or something like that.

So i tried to catch it in the Temporary files but it didn't worked as well

How is it possible to catch this type of files?
    I'm definitely not an expert on this... so i need your help. What's the best way/software to be able to download it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It could very well be that the reason you are having trouble is because the stream is a JIT stream which does not cache, or because you still aren't using the proper protocol, or because you picked the wrong url (metafile instead of actual media file, etc).

Give us an actual (non-warez) example...

Scott

BTW, what do you specifically mean by "buffering WMV"? Could be different that what most of us here would expect.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    It could very well be that the reason you are having trouble is because the stream is a JIT stream which does not cache, or because you still aren't using the proper protocol, or because you picked the wrong url (metafile instead of actual media file, etc).

Give us an actual (non-warez) example...

Scott

BTW, what do you specifically mean by "buffering WMV"? Could be different that what most of us here would expect.
    Hey! Thanks for the help! But i finally get the file! i used WM Recorder and i worked just fine! But if there are any other way to do this, i still would like to know

i don't really understand about metafile, proper protocol etc... i used the term "buffering WMV" because i was copying the download link that appeared in the IDM options (cause directly download from IDM wasn't working) and then coping/pasting the link in the browser too see if something different happened, as opening the option for the real video download.
    then the file opened in WMP and there is a buffer % before the video starts...

I"m not sure if i can explain any better than this right now, i'm from Brazil, so my english is kinda...

but anyway... at least i figure it out some way to download this file! but i wish it was possible to this using IDM, cause it's way more faster, and better because it is the "Real file".

i'm not sure but i think that there is a conversion in the files downloaded from WM Recorder, right? or am i wrong and is it also the original file size from the site?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No. Looks like you happened upon one of the correct ways by accident. Wm recorder most often uses the mms: protocol to retrieve the actual media stream. And I doubt that it does any conversion, unless you had explicitly told it to. I doubt that wm recorder even has conversion capability.

Also, It has been my experience that Download Managers are rarely helpful for accellerating generic sites' media files.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    No. Looks like you happened upon one of the correct ways by accident. Wm recorder most often uses the mms: protocol to retrieve the actual media stream. And I doubt that it does any conversion, unless you had explicitly told it to. I doubt that wm recorder even has conversion capability.

Also, It has been my experience that Download Managers are rarely helpful for accellerating generic sites' media files.

Scott
    I Appreciate your help Scott! It is nice to know that there are no conversion! Thank You!
    And Yeahh.. I just kept digging and digging and digging till i find it!
    Quote Quote