VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the best and most comprehensive file converter software that can convert ALL AUDIO files, VIDEO files, and TEXT files. (and any other that I may not have mentioned) Even the occasional odd, rare, or uncommon ones like .mix (old Microsoft Photodraw) or .png.

It doesn't need to be freeware. Just simple to use and extremely comprehensive. I don't mind paying for it.

This is something I constantly will use - there are so many different file types. I cannot possibly know all the types I will need to convert.

Most important #1 is simplicity of use. I am not a techno genius. Just a retired old teacher.

I would appreciate your kindness and opinions on this, my friends.

Andy
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    give media coder a shot
    Quote Quote  
  3. Nothing converts all media file types. You will end up using several different programs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    A single software application that can convert all video and audio formats does not exist. What do you want to "convert" them to? Understand, most video "formats" cannot be "converted" to other formats without codecs that can decode their original format and re-encode to another format using other encoding codecs. In that sense, video isn't "converted" -- it's re-encoded.

Try this page in the forum Tools section: https://www.videohelp.com/tools . At the upper left of that page you will see an input panel and drop-down list that is labeled "Search options: Select conversion feature". Use that list to search for software that can decode/re-encode video and audio formats in that list.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 04:45.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is excellent. https://www.videohelp.com/tools

Thank you.
    But right now I am looking to do a "graphics conversion". from a .png image to a .jpeg image

I don't see a conversion software for this.

Help!
    andy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming you're using Windows, try IrfanView or XNView, for starters. Both are image viewing/processing programs (great viewers, that will also allow you to convert and make other alterations to images).
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by andy jackson View Post
    This is excellent. https://www.videohelp.com/tools

Thank you.
    But right now I am looking to do a "graphics conversion". from a .png image to a .jpeg image

I don't see a conversion software for this.
    Hmm. Well, you did say audio, video, and text. This being a video/audio shop for the most part, PNG and JPG are none of those file types.

But you can convert PNG -> JPG in the free mspaint.exe program that comes with Windows (otherwise known in your All Programs listing as "Paint", listed under "Accessories"). There's also a popular free graphics app called Picasa, which was pretty good for beginners until Google got their hands on it and ruined it.

PNG is lossless compression. JPG is lossy. Does this mean that every time you use a JPG and compress and change (recompress) or resize (recompress) or correct color (recompress) or correct color again (recompress) or again (recompress), you lose some picture data? Yes. That's why JPG is called lossy. But, then, if the file is too big as a PNG, you don't have much choice.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 04:45.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by andy jackson View Post
    What is the best and most comprehensive file converter software that can convert ALL AUDIO files, VIDEO files, and TEXT files. (and any other that I may not have mentioned) Even the occasional odd, rare, or uncommon ones like .mix (old Microsoft Photodraw) or .png.

It doesn't need to be freeware. Just simple to use and extremely comprehensive. I don't mind paying for it.

Such software not exist as there is many unique and exceptional formats for only one platforms, besides there are new file formats created every day.

Versatile tools are ffmpeg, avconv and mencoder - usually they cover most common formats even quite rare. Quality is something else, as we know for example ffmpeg have plenty of hiccups with quality settings (like color space conversion is in non working almost state).
    Quote Quote  
  9. file converter software that can convert ALL AUDIO files, VIDEO files, and TEXT files. (and any other that I may not have mentioned)
    http://www.logipole.com/konvertor_en.htm
    Quote Quote