VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello. I want to apologize first if I don't have the exact terms, as english is not my primary language.

I've consulted this website a couple of times when in need. I usually find my answers quickly, but now I have a particular situation that required me to post.

I tried looking at search results but I can't seem to find a solution.

I have a series of mp4 files that are named 042.mp4, 043.mp4, 044.mp4, etc, that I need to recover. When I open these files ( With VLC. Also tried with all the common players ), there is a time bar that varies depending on the video. Sometimes it's 4 minutes, sometimes around 25, and so on.

The "video" actually "plays". I can see the elapsed time going up. The problem resides in the fact that there is no audio to be heard, and no video to be seen. It's just a black screen ( although resolution seems to be high as the player automatically sizes itself to about 3/4 of my monitor ).

I took one video out of the bunch and gathered as much info as I could.
    From MediaInfo :
    General
    Complete name : F:\042.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom
    File size : 320 MiB
    Duration : 8mn 37s
    Overall bit rate : 5 178 Kbps

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration : 8mn 36s
    Source duration : 8mn 36s
    Bit rate : 4 986 Kbps
    Width : 1 088 pixels
    Height : 1 920 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 0.567
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 7.478 fps
    Minimum frame rate : 6.076 fps
    Maximum frame rate : 7.493 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.319
    Stream size : 307 MiB (96%)
    Source stream size : 307 MiB (96%)
    Title : VideoHandle
    Language : English
    mdhd_Duration : 516671

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Duration : 8mn 37s
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 192 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 96.0 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 11.8 MiB (4%)
    Title : SoundHandle
    Language : English

What I tried
    I tried using MKVToolnix to try to re-encode into MKV. The process did not give me any errors. The resulting MKV did not display any video ( no black frame ), but DID play for the same amount of time the time bar showed when in mp4 format. There is still no audio playing.

I tried using Handbrake. The video source was not recognized.

I tried using AVS video converter 8.3. The result, for AVI was an error. It froze at 9.26%, and then giving me an error code #7. The result for MPEG was a video file that was 4kb and had no data whatsoever, without any error from AVS. It was pretty much the same for every other type of conversion.

In conclusion, I've seen some people talking about the frame rate, or the bit rate, or whatsoever, but at that level, my knowledge pretty much fades away.

Thank you very much for your assistance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try repair one mp4 with video repair tool(trialware, will only repair half movie) and see if you get any video at all. If not then I guess it will be hard to fix them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Wonderful!!!
    It works.
    I'd say the sync between audio and video is not accurate at all, but the necessary is there.

From there, do I purchase that program, or is there another option for us to work with ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Before purchasing it can you try remux mp4s with mp4box or a gui for it like mymp4boxgui, add the mp4 and mux/make a new mp4. And maybe also avidemux, open mp4 and save as a new.

If they fail then it might be worth buying.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 24th Feb 2014 at 10:33.
    Quote Quote  
  5. well, the mymp4boxgui seems pretty self explanatory. I tried using it and it didn't work. ( using Mux tab ). I also tried demuxing both tracks and playing them independantly, still doesnt work.

With AviDemux though... boy that looks complicated. I tried doing the self-explanatory options, and nothing works so far.
    From what I understand, I loaded one of the videos in, and played with a couple of options on the scrolldown menus of Video Output, Audio Ooutput and Output format. Doesnt really work, but I see there are tons and tons of combinaisons/advanced options available.. I tried looking at a guide but the section that seemed adequate for my situation ( How to get started with avidemux, edit and convert any video format ) doesnt really help me out in my situation..
    Quote Quote  
  6. Try using mmg (part of mkvtoolnix) to remux to MKV (mmg has a resilient file parser). If the resulting file plays properly you can remux the MKV to to MP4 and get a file that plays.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    God I hate phones that do vfr!

Scott
    Quote Quote