VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, i recently connected my PC to my Flat screen TV via the HDMI output on my graphics card but I can only get the video and no sound at all. Tried everything but just can't get any sound. Shouldn't this just work automatically, like when you connect a PVR or Bluray to the TV? I'm thinking maybe there is meant to be some kind of connection between the sound card and graphics card. Can't work it out at all.
    Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by VEBouto View Post
    Shouldn't this just work automatically, like when you connect a PVR or Bluray to the TV?
    No. Computers are much more versatile than set-top players. With that versatility comes more complexity in configuration. Go to the Sound applet from Control Panel and make sure you have an HDMI audio device. Make sure it's enabled. If you don't have such a device you need to get more complete drivers for your sound device.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Make sure you have your hdmi digital sound sound out is enabled and used a default in your sound settings in control panel.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You don't provide any details as to what "tried everything" entails. So just to get this out of the way:

I suppose you've tried checking if HDMI is the default output?

Right-click the little speaker icon at bottom right -> Playback devices. Set HDMI as default.

Then highlight it -> Properties.

Under the General tab check properties see if Windows says the device is working properly, and the driver is okay.
    Under the Supported formats tab, make sure your desired formats are checked and do a test.
    Under the Levels tab, check the volume.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I can't find any types of Audio options that allow me to select HDMI. The only options i can select are Realtek HD Audio output or NVidia High Definition Audio.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Download the full drivers for the Realtek audio device.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    NVidia High Definition Audio is the hdmi audio you want to use,set it as default.You don't need to d/l realtek drivers for nvidia hdmi audio.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    NVidia High Definition Audio is the hdmi audio you want to use,set it as default.You don't need to d/l realtek drivers for nvidia hdmi audio.
    johns0 may be right. But I seen to recall needing something more with some old nvidia graphics cards. Like running a cable from the audio device to the graphics card. In that case you may need full drivers for the audio device.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I had a 260gtx that needed to have a cable going from my audio card to the it so that the audio would carry through the dvi to hdmi setup so the sound would work,with the newer nvidia cards with hdmi as long as the audio is enabled and set as default then that all you needed to do for audio output.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I've managed to solve the problem. I just did a google search for Nvidia Geforce 210 HDMI drivers. It led me to the Nvideo website where i download the HDMI Audio driver 1.00.00.59. After checking, my old driver was 1.00.00.58, which didn't enable the Audio via HDMI. That's why every time I changed the device from Realtek to Nvidia nothing happened. Thanks to this update it now works. Anyway, i also found another bit of software that Nvidia have that scans your video card and updates everything that needs to be updated.
    Should have done that in the first place. Thanks to everyone for your help.
    Quote Quote