VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi all,

I've got a bunch of ripped Blu-Rays on my computer, many which I originally ripped and encoded as 6ch AAC. I now play all files through my Raspberry Pi, connected to my Onkyo receiver, which of course can't play 6ch AAC. I am using Popcorn MKV Audioconverter to re-encode the audio on these files to 5.1 AC3, so I can get surround sound. The problem is that I don't want to have to go into each and every one of my movie folders, and go into MediaInfo to see which movies are encoded with AAC audio. Is there any program or windows extension that will show me which files have AAC audio?

Thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could select the root folder in mediainfo and it will scan all subfolders. Then choose view->sheet and you can see the audio codec pretty easy. I just miss a feature where you can order by audio codec.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    In Windows Explorer, Details mode, you should be able to add a column for audio codec, and then sort by it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    You could select the root folder in mediainfo and it will scan all subfolders. Then choose view->sheet and you can see the audio codec pretty easy. I just miss a feature where you can order by audio codec.
    Thanks, I will try that when I get home.

Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    In Windows Explorer, Details mode, you should be able to add a column for audio codec, and then sort by it.

Scott
    Hmmm...I tried that before but couldn't find where it would let me select that as an option...will try again when I get home. This would be the easiest as I would be able to sort by codec.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you stated what operating system you were using, we could be more help.

In XP, there is no codecs column so you have to use Haali Media Splitter in order to get the codecs column. Follow the directions in this thread...

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/324527-Add-Codecs-Column-to-Details-in-XP?p=2228604...=1#post2228604

You may need to use Codec Tweak Tool or Media Preview Configuration to get Windows to see the codecs that Windows does not support.

https://www.videohelp.com/download/CodecTweakTool-578.zip

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Preview.htm
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks

I am using Windows 8. There are hundreds of options of columns to choose and sort by in windows..but audio codec doesn't seem to be one of them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Doh! Yes, you will need to first do what DarrellS suggested...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might try dbpoweramp music converter. It has Windows Explorer shell integration. Here is a 21 day free trial of the full version. After 23 days it reverts to the free version.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @DarrellS, I'm sure that dbpoweramp would be a real good option for audio-only files, but the OP needs to know the audio codec streams that reside within video files, and AFAIK dbpoweramp doesn't have video parsing capability.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    @DarrellS, I'm sure that dbpoweramp would be a real good option for audio-only files, but the OP needs to know the audio codec streams that reside within video files, and AFAIK dbpoweramp doesn't have video parsing capability.

Scott
    Yeah, I wasn't sure if it did or not, just that I have it on my computer and I have no problems seeing aac audio in my codecs column. Also when I hover my mouse over a video file, it shows all the information about the file and says dbpoweramp below the information. I can also right click on a video and choose convert to (dbpoweramp shell) audio file and it converts the audio file inside the video to whatever I choose. Obviously, you need to install all the dbpoweramp plugins and codecs from codec central.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    As an amateur, I found Baldrick's post #2 hard to follow.

Another Baldrick post is very helpful, "Mediainfo. Change to View->Sheet and open all files with File->Open->Folder".

This works well in Windows 10 and is very useful. It shows the audio and video codecs in the selected folder and any subfolders.

Thank you Baldrick!
    Quote Quote