VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Im capturing using FW cable from a mini-dv camcorder. At some specific point the capture stops. At that point there seems to be something strange to the picture, as if it stops to send a signal, as if its blank, i don't know what happens.
    How can i override this issue so that the whole tape can be captured in one go?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    use windv instead and set continuity threshold to 0
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Doesn't Premiere have such an option?
    Im on a Mac
    Quote Quote  
  4. Premiere CC has an option under edit/preferences/capture -- untick abort capture on dropped frames. Should be similar on CS5

Can't test it here as I have no FW card on this system. Otherwise WinDV, as suggested earlier, is a good option.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Premiere CC has an option under edit/preferences/capture -- untick abort capture on dropped frames. Should be similar on CS5.
    Despite i have unticked this option, capture still terminates! Could it be something different that is happening to the tape. other than a dropped frame?
    Quote Quote  
  6. It may be a large gap. It may be that part of the tape was recorded at SP, part at EP. It may be that some audio is at 32khz and some at 48. It may just be a mangled tape that the program can't recognize. Worst case, you're going to have to babysit it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. What is mangled and what do you mean by babysit?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mangled means the tape may be damaged. Babysit means you have to watch the capture and sometimes help it along -- not just walk away. Do try WinDV though. The files are essentially identical to Premiere's own.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have no issue of staying aside to watch the capturing but how can i help it along so that it won't stop?
    I cannot use WinDV because im on a Mac!
    Quote Quote  
  10. The point of babysitting is to start it again when it stops. No other way.

Missed the mac comment the first time around. Premiere is really your best bet for capture software.
    Quote Quote  
  11. What i want to do is to capture each tape as a single file so things can be more organized (name each file with the name of each tape etc.). When a tape consists out of more than one files i will have to join them and that could be lossy, right? Is there some way of capturing in one file or joining the files without loosing quality?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by zoranb View Post
    When a tape consists out of more than one files i will have to join them and that could be lossy, right?
    No loss. Just plop the clips into a sequence end to end and then use that sequence as a source. But since you're presumably trimming and joining the pieces into edited sequences anyway, it's simply an organizational conceit. Why bother?
    Last edited by smrpix; 28th Feb 2014 at 15:14.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Originally Posted by zoranb View Post
    When a tape consists out of more than one files i will have to join them and that could be lossy, right?
    No loss. Just plop the clips into a sequence end to end and then use that sequence as a source. But since you're presumably trimming and joining the pieces into edited sequences anyway, it's simply an organizational conceit. Why bother?
    Well i bother cause i prefer to have each tape as one video file!
    Regarding the join and quality issue, are you certain that if i join the pieces in one file there would be no quality loss? Im curious, how can this be since after putting the pieces on the timeline id have to export to one file? Wouldn't that one file be compressed?
    Quote Quote  
  14. No export required. You use the sequence as a source.

And actually, since you're using DV, you can import and export in and out of Premiere all day long with no quality loss as long as you don't add any effects and stay in the DV domain.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Im sorry i don't know if i have understood it correctly but let me get it straight. I want to make one video file out of the video parts from the tape, can i create one file out of them, joining them, but without any quality loss?
    Quote Quote  
  16. For the third time, yes! I've told you two different ways.
    Quote Quote