VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to create a simple capture graph for the hdpvr2. I'm using graphstudionext and as far as I can tell, the graph is correct. It flashes green, then blue-green really fast, then green for a second, then stops. The file specified in the file writer filter is created but has a size of zero. I have no problems capturing with HauppaugeCapture.exe. I'm on windows 7 64bit. The save directory is writable and there's free space. Here's the graph:

Click image for larger version

Name:	hdpvr-graph-empty-file.png
Views:	617
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	23707

Does anyone have experience with the empty file issue or with graph capture for the 1512? Thanks!
    Last edited by benow; 26th Feb 2014 at 01:27.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the graph you posted (if all is set correctly) only produces a .ts file, no preview and sound in graphstudionext.

the file_writer filter does not work with the hauppauge hdvpr1/2 in this case. you need the dump.ax filter.

do a google search for the dump.ax filter and install that via regsvr32 on it. be in admin control when you do this. my win7 on my laptop wouldn't let me do that. i swor i initially set the unit to full admin rights though now that is set that way, i can no longer undo that. oh well.
    Quote Quote  
  3. What's that last filter in your chain? File Writer? It should have been named AVI File Writer -- it's only for AVI files. Use Dump (raw data output) for transport streams.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great thx for the help guys! I'll give it a go.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great, that did it. I'm going to document my findings, just in case anyone finds this thread. This is the working graph:

Click image for larger version

Name:	hdpvr-graph-working.png
Views:	2646
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	23761

It is similar, but slightly different. It uses dump.ax and it requires graphstudionext (or graphedit) 32bit. The 64bit version failed to find the dump filter, as it is 32 bit.

For dump.ax I searched, found it and registered it in an administrator cmd.exe with 'regsvr32 dump.ax'. I've published a copy of dump.ax here:
    http://mirror.benow.ca/dump.ax
    just it case it falls of the edge of the internet.

Next for me is to figure out how to create an exe for this graph so that I can easily call it to record.

Thanks again for your help!
    Last edited by benow; 26th Feb 2014 at 12:27.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by benow View Post
    Next for me is to figure out how to create an exe for this graph so that I can easily call it to record.
    See RcTvCap: http://blog.arogan.com/2008/06/hauppauge-hd-pvr-model-1212.html
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by benow View Post
    Great, that did it. I'm going to document my findings, just in case anyone finds this thread. This is the working graph:
    Just what exactly is this supposed to accomplish?

I certainly am no graph expert and I fully admit this but to me this looks like you have found a way to use a graph to make your Hauppauge capture video and audio, which is what it is supposed to do anyway. What exactly is so special about this graph? For example, if you made it capture to AVI output or use MPEG-2 instead of H.264 video then that would be interesting but I don't understand at all what this is supposed to do that you needed to have a graph to do it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I should add that the 0. and 1. lines in the graphic in the purple box are basically unreadable in my browser, so if the answer to my question (What is this supposed to accomplish?) is there, sorry about that, but I'd still like an explanation.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Just what exactly is this supposed to accomplish?
    It's the first step in automation for the command line (batch processing) or integrating video capture into your own application. It's also a very light weight capture -- no decoding and display of the video to waste resources. You can use it on a Pentium 3 because all it does it take input from the USB port and write it to a file.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, jagabo basically nailed it. I want to integrate it into my homebrew pvr. I was actually hoping to have the PVR2 work under Linux, but didn't read the fine print as there is no linux support. I'm leaning towards making a small wrapper around the graph (ie capture some_show.ts 3600) and triggering it as a capture plugin to my homebrew pvr. It's much nicer to integrate a small compact thing such as this graph. Using the hauppauge capture software for the same purpose is not practical.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

[Attachment 23761 - Click to enlarge]

It is similar, but slightly different. It uses dump.ax and it requires graphstudionext (or graphedit) 32bit. The 64bit version failed to find the dump filter, as it is 32 bit.

For dump.ax I searched, found it and registered it in an administrator cmd.exe with 'regsvr32 dump.ax'. I've published a copy of dump.ax here:
    http://mirror.benow.ca/dump.ax
    just it case it falls of the edge of the internet.

Thanks again for your help!
    To anyone else who uses a similar graph, be aware that when you reuse the graph it will overwrite the previous capture file so don't forget to rename the output before you run it again or you will lose the previous file (or edit the graph to use a new dump file name). Also if you want to change the encode bitrate then in graphedt, load the graph, right click on the encoder box and change the bitrate setting there. If you modify the bitrate using the Hauppauge tools it won't change it in the graph you built.

As far as making an exe I didn't look for that but I built a separate VB6 program that runs my graph controlling it with the "FindWindow", "SetWindowPos", "RunMenubystring", etc... api calls in XP. At the end of the capture within the vb6 program I also rename the output(s) adding a date and time label so as not to overwrite them when I rerun the graph. My graph is a bit more complex since it shows the video playing plus I also capture Closed Captions to a separate file using a pci tuner card at the same time by running a 2nd vbi only capture in the same graph and then convert them into muxed selectable srt subtitles. I have to perform some simple post capture steps and synching but only to match the 1st subtitle so it is timed with the 1st words or sound and then muxing them with the video/audio. Using ccextractor and tsMuxer it's pretty quick and works very well.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yeah, thats pretty much the same thing i am doing w/ my custom capture app too. i think we are all doing similar things. i'm only two fingers away from figuring out how to include a video preview during the capturing.

i also added a timecode, except i had to use '.' dots because ':' it is not allowed in filenames. the purpose of the timecode is for me, to show the length of the clip, plus, i use it in conjunction with my twitter app, to help me tell the story or to cut out commercial more easily since i tweet during capturing. i used the directX component's high resolution timer for that in order to get a more accurate timecode so that when i open the videos inside an app that accepts these type of videos i can go directly to the scene and review it or cut it out, etc. later, i will add the ability to also play the videos inside the custom app, as one package.

Code:
    video.2014-02-23.003_2014WinterOlympicsSochi_d17_02.08.09.688.ts
    video.2014-02-23.002_2014WinterOlympicsSochi_d17_01.27.29.750.ts
    video.2014-02-23.001_2014WinterOlympicsSochi_d17_03.43.59.437.ts
    video.2014-02-23.008_2014WinterOlympicsSochi_d16_00.18.08.235.ts
    video.2014-02-22.007_2014WinterOlympicsSochi_d16_03.15.14.938.ts
    video.2014-02-22.006_OlympicZone_d16_00.25.04.047.ts
    video.2014-02-22.005_1st.look_d16_00.22.08.000.ts
    video.2014-02-22.004_nbc.news_d16_00.16.49.266.ts
    video.2014-02-22.003_2014WinterOlympicsSochi_d16_01.19.45.094.ts
    video.2014-02-22.002_2014WinterOlympicsSochi_d16_00.07.51.000.ts
    video.2014-02-22.001_Title_00.00.08.172.ts
    Last edited by vhelp; 27th Feb 2014 at 01:51.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The approach that I have used for other capture plugins for my DVR app is to keep them really simple. Spit out a named file for a certain period of time, then I have the record server make the decisions about the filename, re-encoding, commercial trimming, cropping, etc. Surely these could all be done within the capture app, but then that logic cannot be reused across other methods of capture. This allows for lightweight and easy to make capture solutions which fit the hardware, available software and os. For example, I have captured with mplayer, cat /dev/video0, vlc and others without having to make any major modifications to the core DVR. I have similar processing plugins for re-encoding, commercial identification (comskip) and trimming, crop detection via mplayer, etc. The DVR app is in Java, so cross platform is also a consideration... or would be if I had any more users than myself
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FYIs, the project page for my TV project is here:
    http://benow.ca/projects/TV%20%28jivo%29/
    Don't bother installing it, however. The code is quite stale and will break in multiple places. A newer release may come about, eventually. Pretty screen shots tho
    Quote Quote  
  15. Bump.
    Im trying to create this graph myself for the HD PVR2 (after moving from the original HD PVR). Ive created the graph similar to the attachments here, and have ran regsrv32 on dump.ax, but I am unable to find it to add it into my graph. I attempted to follow the rcTVCap blog entry for the last filter, and inserting a Dump Filter under Internal Filters, called "File Dump". But when running this, I get the error "Class Not Registered" (presumably referring to the dump filter). Any suggestions for this? I am able to capture with the packaged software, but this seems to be failing me.
    Quote Quote