VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all

I got some really shitty footage from an AVCHD camera in 720i, upper field.
    They want me to cut the material and produce a DVD.

Ok, i cut it in Premiere, export as YUV AVI with all the same properties. (so far, so good)
    Then use virtual dub with YADIF for deinterlacing (keep upper field) and export as YUV again.

Problem: in the last step, i loose my aspect ratio.
    when i import into encore, the video source seems to be 4:3.
    when i import the file i exported from premiere, everything is fine.

do you guys have suggestions ?
    is there a easyer way to deinterlace?

cheers
    die verpackung
    Quote Quote  
  2. There isn't really such a thing as 720i, so first let's figure out what you've actually got. Can you post a mediainfo report on your source files or at least tell us what camera it came from? Is your footage 1280x720?

Second, Premiere -> Encore requires no intermediate encoding and that is usually the cleanest way to get there.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    We need MediaInfo data on the original mp4. MediaInfo is free. When you install it, tell the installer to decline any "extra software" or toolbars that are offered. Open the mp4 with MediaInfo, click MediaInfo's top "View" menu item and choose "Tree" view. Then copy the entire text from the info panel and paste it in a reply.

720i AVCHD mp4 is usually a 1:1 aspect ratio and is likely 16:9 for display, usually not 4:3. DVD is not a square-pixel format and is 720x480 NTSC or 720x576 PAL, and either 16:9 or 4:3 for display. Cuitting AVCHD in Premiere will re-encode the entire cut and involves a generation loss.

You would have to deinterlace to resize an interlaced source video, then reinterlace and re-encode for DVD.

I wouldn't use VirtualDub to deinterlace, and you are likely taking a BT709 source and will have to convert it properly to BT609 for DVD.

Why are you discarding fields? DVD is usually interlaced.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 06:28.
    Quote Quote  
  4. When you import an asset just override what the program thinks of its aspect ratio.
    Quote Quote  
  5. In encore, you would just right click the video in the clip bin and interpret to change the AR

But you should answer the other questions , because it looks like there are serious issues with your workflow
    Quote Quote  
  6. thanks for your quick replies!
    (yes.. not 720i, i meant 576i)

the footage came on a sony memory stick, but it seems to be standard MPEG2 material.
    the wierd thing is, that its "upper field first". I thought MPEG standard was "lower field first"?

2745 Kbps, 720*576 @ 25fps, MPEG PAL Version2, AC3 Audio

would a DVD with MPEG2 50i upper field first run on every DVD standalone player?
    then i would use a dynamic link out of premiere and directly encode the material with encore.

i tought DVD had to be lower field first, thats the reason why i tried to deinterlace.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by fleischverpackung View Post
    I thought MPEG standard was "lower field first"?
    Interlaced MPEG video, DVD or otherwise, can be lower field first or upper field first. Just make sure it's flagged correctly. The field order flag just tells the player which of the two fields is supposed to be displayed first (you're supposed to see the fields one at a time).
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st Feb 2014 at 12:06. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Most of the time, you'll see standard MPEG as TFF. Most of the time, you'll see DV-AVI as BFF.

Usually.

Test first. Always.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 06:28.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Edit your project in Premiere and send it to Encore via Adobe Dynamic link. If you need to reencode first it will tell you. There is no need for deinterlacing, there is no need for colorspace conversion, there is no need to change aspect ratio. If your current mpeg files fall within DVD specs, Encore may even be able to Smart Render parts of it.
    Quote Quote