VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am a newbie on here.
    I am just having my house renovated and I have networked the whole place with the idea that we will stream content from a central server (NAS).

I want to rip all my DVDs I own and store them on the NAS. I hope to then be able to play my movies around the house on all the platforms I have (Plasma with PS3, iPad and PC's).

I am looking for the best DVD ripper which will do the task in one go and fast. I don't want to be messing to much converting the files in different formats for different platforms. Initially I will be playing majority of the movies via my PS3 with movies stored on the NAS drive.

I have read a lot around the web and have become confused what is the best option. I don't mind buying software. It would be good if the software is future proof and will last me.

Help Appreciated. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    DVDFab Ripper can do everything. Both ripping and converting to a ps3 and ipad friendly format. But the conversion part is not best.

Another solution would be to use a background ripper/decrypter like anydvd. Then convert all your dvds to mp4 with VidCoder or Handbrake.

Or just rip(no video reconversion) the dvd to dvd folders/iso files on your nas and then use your computer to stream/transcode with something like Plex to all your devices.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have just tried Handbrake with one of my DVD's and the picture plays like this on my PC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Handbrake.jpg
Views:	1374
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	23681
    Quote Quote  
  4. I Used Handbrake to convert DVD to MKV and it played like above.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you ripped the dvd? Or installed a "background" ripper like anydvd?

Handbrake just converts.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Used Handbrake to convert it to MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by JayUK View Post
    Used Handbrake to convert it to MKV.
    You didn't answer Baldfick's question. Did you "rip" (decrypt/copy) to hard drive first? Or did you run a decrypter in the background while converting?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is beginning to confuse me.

It is my understanding that Fab Passkey and AnyDVD are both background rippers. Further, Handbrake is not "just a converter" in the sense that I've seen the term used on this site over the years. Handbrake and it's popular shortened Gui Vidcoder, while they do have an audio passthru function do not have a Video passthru function like MakeMKV or XmediaRecode does. In fact the name Vidcoder says it all. It's a Video coder.

Relating to the above video, My only comment would be that it looks like it was recoded on the fly from the DVD,BR drive. If that was the case it might be best to rip the DVD/BR to your hard disk. Look at what was produced. If it looks good then re-code or convert the file to whatever you want.

Tony
    Quote Quote