VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Cyberlink Power Director
    got the best of 14 here

I have Sony Vegas but am only beginning with it. Any opinions on vegas? What do people here use?
    Last edited by Anonymous2; 18th Feb 2014 at 17:57.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You need to take these reviews with a proverbial pinch of salt.

Invariably they are written by people with vested interests so do not be surprised if whoever gave this product top marks was paid to say so.

Look closely and the review does not even compare like with like. Corel DVD can hardly be described as a video editor but it is listed in the comparison.

There is even a download link whereas all the other are simply 'buy' even tho some of them also have trial downloads so I double guess that the site has an affiliation with Cyberlink.

Vegas comes in several flavours and although I have never used this Cyberlink product I have used Ulead/Corel and Sony/Vegas. I can imagine that Vegas would, in an un-biased review, blow this away.

So you have, whatever flavour, a better product IMHO. And search the forum. I think you will find many more users of Vegas than others. Whether pro-consumer or the full-blown Vegas Pro.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dopey2013 View Post
    Cyberlink Power Director
    got the best of 14 here

I have Sony Vegas but am only beginning with it. Any opinions on vegas? What do people here use?
    Is this review serious? I cringed when I saw power director on top. Is it because it's a consumer-level NLE program review?
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ugh! Junkware.
    got the best of 14 hereJunkware

Can't use Vegas. No smart-rendring with most formats. Has second-rate encoders.

What do you mean by editing? You mean cut and join? Repairing/replacing bad frames? Colorspace conversion? Halo and chroma bleed reduction? Inverse telecine? Dot crawl cleanup? Anti-banding? Chroma noise cleanup? Invalid luma and chroma levels? Spot and comet removal? Fixing line twitter, poor deinterlacing, aliasing? Deblending? Smart-render editing and authoring for AVCHD/DVD/BluRay? Motion-compensated denoising? Cleanup compression artifacts?

What would you recommend for the editing tasks listed above?
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 04:46.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AviUtl is free and it's far better than the programs listed on that site by a wide margin................
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VegasPro is by far the absolute best value for your money if you're doing "Broadcast" quality.

Premiere charges a monthly fee that sounds cheap, but the fee still accrues when you're not using it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Has second-rate encoders.
    All NLE encoders are second rate, they do not feature full versions of top encoders, but basically they are ok if you do not starve it for bitrate, and there is lack of CQ encoding,

you need top NLE for serious editing ...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    You need to take these reviews with a proverbial pinch of salt.

Invariably they are written by people with vested interests so do not be surprised if whoever gave this product top marks was paid to say so.

Look closely and the review does not even compare like with like. Corel DVD can hardly be described as a video editor but it is listed in the comparison.

There is even a download link whereas all the other are simply 'buy' even tho some of them also have trial downloads so I double guess that the site has an affiliation with Cyberlink.

Vegas comes in several flavours and although I have never used this Cyberlink product I have used Ulead/Corel and Sony/Vegas. I can imagine that Vegas would, in an un-biased review, blow this away.

So you have, whatever flavour, a better product IMHO. And search the forum. I think you will find many more users of Vegas than others. Whether pro-consumer or the full-blown Vegas Pro.
    ok thanks very informative
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Ugh! Junkware.
    got the best of 14 hereJunkware

Can't use Vegas. No smart-rendring with most formats. Has second-rate encoders.

What do you mean by editing? You mean cut and join? Repairing/replacing bad frames? Colorspace conversion? Halo and chroma bleed reduction? Inverse telecine? Dot crawl cleanup? Anti-banding? Chroma noise cleanup? Invalid luma and chroma levels? Spot and comet removal? Fixing line twitter, poor deinterlacing, aliasing? Deblending? Smart-render editing and authoring for AVCHD/DVD/BluRay? Motion-compensated denoising? Cleanup compression artifacts?

What would you recommend for the editing tasks listed above?
    Are you serious? I have Sony Vegas but am only beginning with it. By editing i mean putting together clips to create a dvd

What would you recommend for the editing tasks listed above yourself so i know for future reference
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Dopey2013 View Post
    By editing i mean putting together clips to create a dvd.
    Joining of DVD clips? It doesn't come any more simple and easy than the freeware DVDShrink. But maybe you mean something more than you say?
    What would you recommend for the editing tasks listed above yourself so i know for future reference
    He's being facetious. None of the NLEs, listed or unlisted, will do all those things. He's probably meaning a combination of VDub filters and AviSynth which, by the sound of it, you have no interest in. And some sort of basic Blu-Ray authoring program. All free.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Are you serious? I have Sony Vegas but am only beginning with it. By editing i mean putting together clips to create a dvd

Well, now I don't know...Are you serious? You paid good ransom money to just cut and join clips? There are free apps that can do that, and even less expensive apps that can join clips, add 8 audio tracks, and add fireworks and sprinkles. So, in effect, I question your question.

Those tasks I listed require a bit more in software extensions, and a lot of it can't be done with Vegas or Vegas Pro. Or with some other "pro" names, for that matter. On the other hand, Vegas Pro can do some motion tracking, masking, and that sort of thing, but can't denoise and is a little clunky with tricky color grading. For simple cut and join I use Avisynth, VirtualDub, TMPGenc Smart Renderer, and TMPGenc Video Mastering Works -- the latter has a multi-track timeline if you really need it. Mastering Works does double duty with its x264 encoding engine, but I also use TX264 and sometimes Handbrake for that, with TMPGenc Plus 2.5 or HCenc for DVD encoding. Avisynth and VirtualDub are for proper colorspace conversion and restoral/repair and color work; to get heavy-duty motion tracking, more complex and easier to handle color grading/matching, fancier timeline, masking, composite layering, and other wild stuff I use AfterEffects with lossless media, to prevent the usual damage. Authoring is with TMPGenc Authoring Works. but I also gave DVDAuthor a try.

Obviously I'm doing more than cut-and-join with the stuff I just mentioned. Like many, I prefer separate "editors", encoders, and authoring apps for better quality and more control. However, if cut-and-join is what you mean by "editing" (which is not what most advanced users mean), I could survive lavishly with free software from start to finish. I might have to learn something about what I'm doing, but the results would be cheaper and just as good (and probably better at the encoder end) than the high-priced spread. What I would use is up for grabs, as you can see that the forum Tools section lists enough good-quality freebies to keep you playing til the cows come home -- and some of them can smart-render many formats. AviDemux, VideoReDo, MPG2Cut2.....For almost every paid app named here, someone can name a free replacement.

But everyone has their preference. It's just amazing and confusing, the multitude of meanings people attach to words like "edit" and "best". Some prefer Adobe Premiere Elements (which can also cut-and-join, with a timeline and encoding at 1/6 the cost of Vegas Pro), probably because they're accustomed to its quirky interface. Most people choose an "editor" because its interface is "more intuitive" (which means they don't read the user guide but somehow they get a video out of it anyway).

I do enjoy threads like this. They're fun and revealing. So what I just typed over a cup of tea could be called the long answer to a shorter question. I think it could definitely use some "editing".
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post

Well, now I don't know...Are you serious? You paid good ransom money to just cut and join clips? There are free apps that can do that, and even less expensive apps that can join clips, add 8 audio tracks, and add fireworks and sprinkles. So, in effect, I question your question.

Those tasks I listed require a bit more in software extensions, and a lot of it can't be done with Vegas or Vegas Pro. Or with some other "pro" names, for that matter. On the other hand, Vegas Pro can do some motion tracking, masking, and that sort of thing, but can't denoise and is a little clunky with tricky color grading. For simple cut and join I use Avisynth, VirtualDub, TMPGenc Smart Renderer, and TMPGenc Video Mastering Works -- the latter has a multi-track timeline if you really need it. Mastering Works does double duty with its x264 encoding engine, but I also use TX264 and sometimes Handbrake for that, with TMPGenc Plus 2.5 or HCenc for DVD encoding. Avisynth and VirtualDub are for proper colorspace conversion and restoral/repair and color work; to get heavy-duty motion tracking, more complex and easier to handle color grading/matching, fancier timeline, masking, composite layering, and other wild stuff I use AfterEffects with lossless media, to prevent the usual damage. Authoring is with TMPGenc Authoring Works. but I also gave DVDAuthor a try.

Obviously I'm doing more than cut-and-join with the stuff I just mentioned. Like many, I prefer separate "editors", encoders, and authoring apps for better quality and more control. However, if cut-and-join is what you mean by "editing" (which is not what most advanced users mean), I could survive lavishly with free software from start to finish. I might have to learn something about what I'm doing, but the results would be cheaper and just as good (and probably better at the encoder end) than the high-priced spread. What I would use is up for grabs, as you can see that the forum Tools section lists enough good-quality freebies to keep you playing til the cows come home -- and some of them can smart-render many formats. AviDemux, VideoReDo, MPG2Cut2.....For almost every paid app named here, someone can name a free replacement.

But everyone has their preference. It's just amazing and confusing, the multitude of meanings people attach to words like "edit" and "best". Some prefer Adobe Premiere Elements (which can also cut-and-join, with a timeline and encoding at 1/6 to 1/10 the cost of Vegas Pro), probably because they're accustomed to its quirky interface. Many like Power Director because it came free with their PC. Most people choose an "editor" because its interface is "more intuitive" (which means they don't read the user guide but somehow they get a video out of it anyway).

I do enjoy threads like this. They're fun and revealing. So what I just typed over a cup of tea could be called the long answer to a shorter question. I think it could definitely use some "editing".
    i said i was learning so cut join for now.when i know everything like you maybe more
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dopey, stick with Vegas.

The latest trick in forums now is they plant a shill, but with a twist. The shill poo-poo's "Other" software, instead of the fake fawning you usually see. So watch out for "anti-shills".

Last edited by budwzr; 19th Feb 2014 at 00:52.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Dopey, stick with Vegas.

The latest trick in forums now is they plant a shill, but with a twist. The shill poo-poo's "Other" software, instead of the fake fawning you usually see. So watch out for "anti-shills".

anti shills and their and their expertise in tea drinking do not impress me
    Quote Quote  
  15. By editing i mean putting together clips to create a dvd
    You could use DVDStyler for that. It can make cuts, easely join clips by adding them as chapters and has powerful features for creating menus/navigation for a DVD. Not commercial. Not an editor - in my perception of the word.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=Dopey2013;2302897i said i was learning so cut join for now.when i know everything like you maybe more[/QUOTE]I understand that. For simple cut and join I use TMPGenc MPEG Smart Renderer. Has a few extra features, like transitions. Don't let the "MPEG" in the title set you back. It takes MPEG/AVCHD/BluRay and a few others. I also still use its predecessor, which was MPEG only and just more simple and faster. Both are easily integrated into more complex projects. I keep them for their modest cost and above-par rendering engines. Smart rendering with decent encoders makes a big difference. TMPGenc's ability to import stuff like transport streams, direct VOB import, Pansonic VR format off DVD recorders, etc. -- icing on the cake.

Wish I did know everything. I'd be getting paid.

But, then, I'd have to work all day and keep to a schedule. I had enough of that for 35 years in programming. Those 50 to 60 hour weeks were murder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since you already have Vegas, you should stick with it as you can't go wrong. I've been editing with Vegas since version 6 and it always delivered.

I do like playing around with free apps and push them to see how far they can go. AviUtl is very impressive for such a simple little program. Playing around with motion tracking the other day and made this little spoof. Only free tools were used. The image and masks were done with Pain.NET and all editing in AviUtil:
    Image Attached Files
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I looked at Paint.NET, and it only supports raster images, no vector. Vector graphics are a lot more useful. SVG has finally come into vogue, although it's been around forever.

Yeah, I understand that it supports RBGA, and you can make selection masks. So it's something a video junkie would use. Myself, I use Microsoft Digital Image Pro 9. It's defunkt software, but it supports both types, vector and raster. Mix and match as desired. It's very capable.

I saw Rhino Butt. nice. So that was a three track composite, yes? Head's in the middle. Cookie cut. Don't worry, the unwashed masses won't understand what I said.

Yeah, it looked flawless. Touche'
    Last edited by budwzr; 19th Feb 2014 at 21:48.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    I saw Rhino Butt.
    Me too. nce. Did you add all that noise yourself, or is that part of Vegas' built-in effects?
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 04:47.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's not noise. It's autofocus. Otherwise it was quite sharp and looked good.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Looks different in every player. Better warn viewers: don't try this at home with VLC Player.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    I saw Rhino Butt.
    Me too. Was all that noise added purposely, or is that one of Vegas' built-in special effects?
    It's not really "noise" in the traditional sense; you're probably referring to the aliasing eg. the ground textures. It sort of "twitters" or "buzzes".

He didn't use vegas for that, and it's not a post effect (at least probabably not intended) . Likely the aliasing originated from the sensor, probably DSLR line skipping - but it's not that bad here (it can be much worse) . But it looks like some sharpening was applied as well (that enhances the aliasing)

Dopey2013 - "best" editor in what sense? They all have pros / cons , quirks, areas they could improve upon . As mentioned already, if you're just doing simple cuts, an editor is probably overkill
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    poisondeathray, I agree. Sharpening is often overdone, but some users just seem to need it. That's their choice. VLC Player IMO is the pits for a lot of video playback anyway, whether HD or not. I first viewed the linked video in Firefox, which threw it into VLC by default. I ought to change that default, but I've been too lazy. Oversharpening aside, it played without the "buzz" in other players. It made for a very odd looking rhino, but that's what many people prefer. To each his own.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For the record NO SHARPENING was done by me. In fact no filters were applied at all. Sanlyn's speculations aren't even close.....

The Rhino stock footage was shot in 4k via Canon 1DC, which I downloaded from youtube. It is possible the producer add sharpening, but who knows. This was just a Motion Tracking test using free s/w, the rest is non-important. I used ffmpeg to encode a downsized version with the simple "-s 1280x720" command. Poisondeathray is dead on with the antialiasing/moire issues that plague DSLRs.

It's a typical 3 layer comp using background, image and mask.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why didn't you blow a green gas out the butt?

Motion Tracking? Can you elaborate?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I originally wanted some stock footage of an elephant taking a dump, but this was the next best thing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Motion Tracking? Can you elaborate?
    I should've said Manual Motion Tracking as this was done by manually adding key-frame vs Automated Motion Tracking. AviUtl can auto motion track via a plugin by MaverickTSE. It works well when motion is in the X and Y axis, but not the Z axis.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    For the record NO SHARPENING was done by me. In fact no filters were applied at all. Sanlyn's speculations aren't even close.....
    Neither are yours, if that clip came from UTube. Enjoy. For me, it just looked annoying and overdone. Won't sell me on 4K, either.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    I originally wanted some stock footage of an elephant taking a dump, but this was the next best thing.
    HAHA that would have been awesome!

Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    For me, it just looked annoying and overdone. Won't sell me on 4K, either.
    The original videographer could have easily fixed the aliasing at 4k and resized it down. 4K for acquisition in production workflow has huge, huge benefits from oversampling (higher SNR, reframing, fixing defects, higher functional bitdepth and color depth at the lower resolution) - even if your deliverable is "only" HD . It's analgous to how great SD content almost always is derived from HD content, or at least large sensors with oversampling. Great 4K footage requires even higher resolutions and sensors - so the early consumer stuff we see will be "soft" UHD and 4K

Anyways, racer-x was just having some good ol fun there
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @racer-x

If you still wanna a vid of an elephant taking a dump then look here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_Cj2TtFd_E

(They don't make 'em like this anymore)
    Quote Quote