VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. I am searching for the best and not expensive Blu-ray burner for my laptop. I kinda decided to get a burner for my laptop first and then to my regular PC.

I was searching for good items from Panasonic, Sony-Optiarc, Pioneer, LG ect.
    I stopped at Panasonic UJ-260. This burner have a good price and nice specs (burns even BDXL). Before hitting a "buy" button, I wanted to know from You guys, what do You think?

In addition, maybe You could suggest a good full-size internal PC burner?
    Pioneer BDR-206? Or maybe there is a newer models?

Thanks, Laurijs
    Last edited by Laurijs; 18th Feb 2014 at 12:03.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pioneer has by far been the best I have used, but my model is no longer in production. However, I would buy Pioneer again without a thought if I needed a BD burner. Please note that I have not ever attempted to burn BDXL media, so I cannot comment on that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you want an all around external and internal drive why not just use an enclosure like the Vantec Nexstar with a Pioneer 209? I'm not a fan of LG drives as I know too many where they've returned to rip their BR data discs back to a hdd and the burn quality was crap...and the discs were unreadable. I wouldn't own a standalone external Blu Ray burner as they're known to not last a very longtime. The combination above is built to last. I have the Vantec and a Lite-On IHBS 112 and this works fine. These 2 items are more expensive than a standalone external burner, but I think the quality is better.

There's a USB 3 model of the Vantec if you have a USB 3 port on your laptop if the eSata version wouldnt work on a laptop.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Laurijs View Post
    Hi. I am searching for the best and not expensive Blu-ray burner for my laptop. I kinda decided to get a burner for my laptop first and then to my regular PC.

I was searching for good items from Panasonic, Sony-Optiarc, Pioneer, LG ect.
    I stopped at Panasonic UJ-260. This burner have a good price and nice specs (burns even BDXL). Before hitting a "buy" button, I wanted to know from You guys, what do You think?

In addition, maybe You could suggest a good full-size internal PC burner?
    Pioneer BDR-206? Or maybe there is a newer models?

Thanks, Laurijs
    I don't know whether LG or Panasonic makes the better internal slim BD-RW drive, but you don't have any other choices for internal notebook BD-RW drives. Although they are supposed to be very good, Pioneer only makes external USB slim BD burners now. LG sells one internal slim BD-RW drive (LG Model BT30N), a tray loading type. Panasonic's PAN-UJ-260 has external USB, internal slot-lading, and internal tray-loading versions. If your laptop requires one, the slot loading version of this burner is the only one of that kind now readily available.

I bought a Pioneer BDR-208M a year ago and it has been a good full-height drive. Pioneer recently released their BDR-209 series, but there may still be some BDR-208 series drives available. LG's BD burners are not bad. Pioneer's BD-burners are just a little better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whatever drive that is, get one that can set book type. The current one I use (LG) regrettably does not (found out only well after purchase), and there are still some older players that do not accept DVD+R.
    Stop feeling suicidal just because he unfriended you on fezbuk.
    Quote Quote