Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Double Post
    Last edited by lingyi; 20th Feb 2014 at 00:27. Reason: Double Post
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will add my voice in support of Vidcoder and the WD TV Live.

While the WD TV Live isn't perfect, it is networkable (wired and wireless), stable, and has a much, much, much wider range of file/codec compatibility than any smart TV out there. Cheap, reliable, and low hassle.

I also second Redwudz's advice on Vidcoder. Rip the DVDs to your harddrive, queue the encodes to MP4 up in Vidcoder, and let it run. It's highly configurable - personally I find just encoding with Constant Quality setting of around 21 strikes the right balance between file size and quality for me.

@Redwudz - "over 100 DVDs" with Vidcoder? Pah! I've done over 1,500. And yes, ripping and encoding that many discs is every bit as tedious as it sounds.

As for ripping, use whatever you like. Personally, I use DVDFab (for purchased DVDs) and the ancient DVD Decrypter for the discs I have recorded on my DVD recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thx! I suppose I do that indirectly as I use DVDshrink/DVD Decrypter to backup my DVDs to hard-copy DVDs.

But I am determined to figure out this MPEG thing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Chopmeister View Post
    I will add my voice in support of Vidcoder and the WD TV Live.
    So if I am understanding this correctly...WDTV acts in place of the smart TV and is more versatile. That plus it allows up to hook up an external drive to it directly. This does sound nice although the only drawback I see is that it's hooked up to 1 tv versus my PC which can run wifi to the entire house.
    Quote Quote  
  5. That WDTV Live makes your TV conected to anything that is connected to LAN as well - anything that is shared on PC, NAS, LAN hardisks somewhere, hardisks connected through USB to router,..., it will see them and it will play video that is stored on them and play it on your TV

This way using media player, you make even some older CRT TV (but still alright) play anything as well, HD content , anything ... you can have dummiest TV there is and still, you can have this comfort, Netflix too
    Quote Quote