I've searched quite a bit and not had any luck finding anything like this previously posted, so hopefully I'm not duplicating anything.
My problem is this: I am subtitling (in English) a video that is hardsubbed in another language. The subs were created in aegisub (version 3.0.4). To hide the original language subtitles, I used a background box, and the English subtitles are over that. In aegisub, all the timing appears correct: the English text and boxes appear before the hardsubbed text appears, and disappear after the hardsubbed text disappears (so the hardsubs never show). I have confirmed this by playing the video in VLC with softsubs. The timing is also correct there.
The issue I am having is that when I open the video and subs in virtualdub (version 1.10.4) when I am ready to make the final version, the subs appear out of sync in virtualdub (using the TextSub filter). More specifically, the problem seems to be that the subs end too early (and therefore show the hardsubs underneath). I seem to be able to compensate for it by shifting the subs forward 4 frames in aegisub after I complete timing there. Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening? Is there some setting in virtualdub that would affect sub timing like this? Although I've found a workaround, it would be nice to just have the subs show up the same way in both aegisub and virtualdub without me having to adjust the timing.
I'm using Windows 7, if it makes any difference.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
Thread: subs out of sync in virtualdub
What kind of video ? An AVI with b-frames ? Just a guess , but b-frames in AVI can sometimes exhibit "b-frame decoder lag" in vdub, because it uses VFW . You might get some green or black frames at the beginning which shifts the timing a few frames. If that's what you're experiencing, other workarounds would be to load with an avs script with non VFW framework (e.g. ffms2), or try switching decoders, or use another application that doesn't use VFW if you're just using vdub to hardsub
virtualdub to hardsub because I needed some of the other filters for some other projects, so it seemed like a good choice at the time. Oh well. Thanks for the explanation.
aegisub and adjusted things until the preview (in virtualdub) showed correct timing. I think not, though, since in all my final hardsubbed videos, the timing also appears correct (using the shifted timings from aegisub).