VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. hello all my videos in full hd from sony hxr nx5u pal,i make the edit in full hd 1080p and export from premiere to mpeg2 dvd but the quality is no good,any tips to have nice quality?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Install a frameserver (like debugmode) and HCenc with the appropriate GUI (look at tools), then export to a signpost file *.avi. Create an avisynth script *.avs with this *.avi that includes appropriate resizing syntaxes (look at examples in previous similar posts in this forum, or on avisynth wiki), load it into HCenc, and away you go.
    Put simply, poor quality is from the way Premiere resizes from HD to SD, and the encoding engine of AME (MainConcept). Use of avisynth resizing scripts and encoding with HCenc for MPGE-2 output (or with any GUI with x264 for h264 streams) is a free, elegant, effective way of getting around this.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. Big tip: Don't use CS6 to do it. You'll get better resizing with various resize and edge-cleaning functions using Avisynth, and better (less noisy) MPEG encoding from better encoders (HCenc and the old TMPGenc Plus or some freebie re-encoders/converters that use HCEnc will get you a cleaner MPEG than CS6). Now, someone's bound to come along and suggest Vegas Pro (uses the similar resizers and encoders as CS6) or something off the wall like Power Director, etc., which will give similar (or worse) results.

Another problem you'll find is that most of the time you're going to see artifacts with HD->SD that you never thought possible. In many cases little can be done. There was a recent thread that showed several pro's/con's with HD->SD. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/361553-Video-Conversion-Editing-Workflow-Issues

You might also consider that HD 1080p PAL spec states 24FPS, and PAL DVD is usually 25 FPS interlaced. Other forum members more familiar with free software apps that can get better HD->SD quality can advise in more detail. I know those apps exist, I just don't use them.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 06:29.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    "Bad quality" is such a meaningless term without examples... It could be MPEG2 encoding artefacts (blocking, ringing) due to a not optimal bitrate control. But it could as well be the mistake to recklessly resize interlaced HD material and getting interpolated interlacing as result.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The O.P. has already stated the camera is being used to shoot 1080p. "1080p" is not interlaced. But you're right, it would be a mistake to resize interlaced video. The problem here is using a software product with "less than optimal" quality for resampling and re-encoding. You can do a lot with Adobe Pro that you can't do elsewhere, but unfortunately there are some areas where Adobe falls short. This is true of any software product that tries to be a one-button magic bullet for everything.

Agreed, "bad quality" is meaningless without a areal example. We've seen enough of this particular problem (I have, anyway) with this particular product to have a pretty good idea what "bad" or "poor" means. Still, a short sample of the output would cinch the issue. Even better, the owner can submit a short unprocessed sample of the original AVCHD for a comparison of different ways of doing the same thing.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 06:29.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by turk690 View Post
    Install a frameserver (like debugmode) and HCenc with the appropriate GUI (look at tools), then export to a signpost file *.avi. Create an avisynth script *.avs with this *.avi that includes appropriate resizing syntaxes (look at examples in previous similar posts in this forum, or on avisynth wiki), load it into HCenc, and away you go.
    Put simply, poor quality is from the way Premiere resizes from HD to SD, and the encoding engine of AME (MainConcept). Use of avisynth resizing scripts and encoding with HCenc for MPGE-2 output (or with any GUI with x264 for h264 streams) is a free, elegant, effective way of getting around this.
    thanks this time i have project in premiere from P2 960x720 how to export this size to avi? avi have 720x576 how to get 960x720 export avi file?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Wait a minute. Weren't you working with 1080p from a camera? Did the Avisynth script and HCenc encoding give you better results with HD to DVD?
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 06:30.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Wait a minute. Weren't you working with 1080p from a camera? Did the Avisynth script and HCenc encoding give you better results with HD to DVD?
    sanlyn how to use Avisynth script and HCenc?
    Quote Quote  
  9. As Sanlyn says, your project settings should match your footage. Also, if you are using Premiere CS6 you have Encore as well. You can transfer your assets directly from Premiere to Encore to do your DVD authoring with no recompression until the very last step. Adobe's DVD encoding is admittedly not the best, but it's really not too bad either.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by avid View Post
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    sanlyn how to use Avisynth script and HCenc?
    No one could tell you in detail how to use an Avisynth script on the 1080p video (or any other) without more detail about the original video. It is likely AVCHD from the camera. You can use Premiere toi cut a small sample of a fe seconds and post the sample here. Premiere doesn't smart-render AVCHD when you make the sample, but you can re-render the output at high quality settings. Or, if all else fails, download the free MediaInfo utility, open the AVCHD video with it, and use MediaInfo's "Tree" view to copy the complete text of the info panel and post the text here. MediaInfo is a small program and installs very quickly, but when the installer opens you should de-select any extra "software" or toolbar offers and install only the program itself.

Free software is available that can resample and re-encode 1080p to PAL DVD. Other members who use it can advise in detail, as I use Avisynth and paid software to make those changes. But the higher-quality free apps also use Avisynth to open, resample, and make other modifications including re-encodes.
    Quote Quote  
  11. looking in this tutorial http://www.bellunevideo.com/tutdetail.php?tutid=12 i make export from premiere as avi file with lagarith codec same as source 960x720 and then take the output avi from premiere to convert for dvd in procoder,whats different to use frame server from premiere and use too many programs as AviSynth,DGMPGDec,VirtualDub,hd2sd AviSynth Filter,ect?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    We still need a sample of your video source, or more detail about it.

DGMPGdec is a multi-functon decoder for video and transport streams encoded as MPEG2/MPEG1. Whether or not it's applicable to your videos is debatable, but lilkely it will work with the HD2SD scripts and resampling. The idea behind these special applications is to use better resampling and encoding than you're getting with Adobe. HD2SD uses Avisynth scripting and several other support files, including DGMPGdec. Another popular free application is MultiAVCHD, which can set up many file types for burning to disc (and there are complaints that some of its results aren't usable by some players). It also requires some knowledge of Avsiynth and source file formats.

You can decode AVCHD to lossles AVI with Lagaraith compression via Premiere Pro, assuming you have Lagarith installed. But the output files will be huge for 1080p, and even for 960x720. That frame size is 4:3 aspect ratio, not compliant with either standard DVD, AVCHD, or BluRay, and would need some modification for whatever output you're looking for. All you've told us about your videos are the frame size (and I'm assuming the 1080p from your camera is 24FPS).

You shouldn't think about any and all pieces of video as looking alike and behaving alike. You also mentioned that you have an "AVI". What encoding for AVI? AVI is a container, not a codec. For DVD, that 720x576 Avi could have only one of two aspect ratios for PAL DVD: 4:3 or 16:9. By itself, a 720x576 frame has a frame aspect ratio of 5:4. It's difficult to go farther unless we have more details or some samples.
    Quote Quote  
  13. With frame server there is no need to use intermediate file, like your's Lagarith intermediate. The way it works you basically set things up and then you encode your timeline from Premiere directly.

But in your case, I suspect there is something not right with your Premiere results, maybe something in your settings while exporting. Usually HD interlace to DVD gets weird results, but to resize HD progressive content to DVD should not be a big deal. Problem is perhaps Premiere is making 50i (60i) from 25p (30p)? Can't you set it up so output is 25 (30) progressive even for DVD? Also you might be spoiled with Procoder, it encodes very good lower bitrates, do not expect any miracles with HcEncoder.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Apparently the O.P. doesn't distinguishing between video types and formats. Appears to be intent on using Adobe for everything. So I suspect Adobe's inferior resizing isn't going to help much, and the encoder is what it is. Whatever the O.P. uses, it will involve a little learning. To invest in Adobe Pro high-end products isn't as simple as working with the one-button automated wonders that sell for a fraction of the price. From what I recall of Premiere Pro's online help, it is quite detailed, specific, and comprehensive. Someone familiar with CS6 will have to help here, as the CS3 trial is the last I saw of Adobe Premiere Pro. Those who are intent on the software seem to get usable results.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm afraid he can get an idea that he must do encoding out of Premiere in ant case, but it might not be necessary. Hardly there is something wrong using simple bicubic or bilinear resize, whatever Premiere uses. And that mainconcept encoder in it is not that bad.

He should tell what the original is, regular frame rate, or double frame rate, and double check his Premiere settings if in 30p or 25p case he can force not to interlace his footage.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    We still need a sample of your video source, or more detail about it.

DGMPGdec is a multi-functon decoder for video and transport streams encoded as MPEG2/MPEG1. Whether or not it's applicable to your videos is debatable, but lilkely it will work with the HD2SD scripts and resampling. The idea behind these special applications is to use better resampling and encoding than you're getting with Adobe. HD2SD uses Avisynth scripting and several other support files, including DGMPGdec. Another popular free application is MultiAVCHD, which can set up many file types for burning to disc (and there are complaints that some of its results aren't usable by some players). It also requires some knowledge of Avsiynth and source file formats.

You can decode AVCHD to lossles AVI with Lagaraith compression via Premiere Pro, assuming you have Lagarith installed. But the output files will be huge for 1080p, and even for 960x720. That frame size is 4:3 aspect ratio, not compliant with either standard DVD, AVCHD, or BluRay, and would need some modification for whatever output you're looking for. All you've told us about your videos are the frame size (and I'm assuming the 1080p from your camera is 24FPS).

You shouldn't think about any and all pieces of video as looking alike and behaving alike. You also mentioned that you have an "AVI". What encoding for AVI? AVI is a container, not a codec. For DVD, that 720x576 Avi could have only one of two aspect ratios for PAL DVD: 4:3 or 16:9. By itself, a 720x576 frame has a frame aspect ratio of 5:4. It's difficult to go farther unless we have more details or some samples.
    the video is mxf from p2 Panasonic camera 960x720,50fps progressive, the final edit from premiere export as AVI with Lagarith YUY2, 960x720, dvd pal 720x576 16:9
    Quote Quote  
  17. Premiere is only terrible for interlaced resizing. Progressive resizing isn't that bad (when you use MRQ it uses something almost equivalent to bicubic)

What specifically is wrong with the quality of the DVD ?

The NX5U shoots native AVCHD. Did you transcode to a DVCPROHD intermediate for editing ? How did you get the P2 MXF ? Or are you talking about a different camera now ?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have the same question: what is the specific quality problem? Agreed, the software certainly isn't horrible by any means, but the O.P. seems to be doing something wrong if quality is as bad as the user indicates. We simply need more details about what the owner is doing and working with.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Premiere is only terrible for interlaced resizing. Progressive resizing isn't that bad (when you use MRQ it uses something almost equivalent to bicubic)

The NX5U shoots native AVCHD. Did you transcode to a DVCPROHD intermediate for editing ? How did you get the P2 MXF ? Or are you talking about a different camera now ?
    hd to convert sd from premiere with various hd format cameras the quality is no good.
    the quality in noise and no sharp
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by avid View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Premiere is only terrible for interlaced resizing. Progressive resizing isn't that bad (when you use MRQ it uses something almost equivalent to bicubic)

hd to convert sd from premiere with various hd format cameras the quality is no good.

In what way ?

What does "no good" mean SPECIFICALLY ?

Wrong colors?
    Too blurry ?
    Levels issues ?
    Aliasing ?
    Noise ?

DVD is never to look as good as the HD version

If you can't describe it, or English isn't your native language, then post a sample of the source and the DVD output
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    We need a sample of what you mean by "no good". As I said, I wouldn't choose the product myself for various reasons, but results can't be so bad that it places Adobe Premiere Pro at the bottom of the barrel. We've seen a lot of decent work from users of your software over the years. Offhand I'd say that if it's "bad", you might have set a very low MPEG bitrate for the re-encode, which would certainly affect the result. A brief sample of the video that you produced will answer many questions. If you need to know how to cut a brief sample and post it, ask here.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by avid View Post

In what way ?

What does "no good" mean SPECIFICALLY ?

Wrong colors?
    Too blurry ?
    Levels issues ?
    Aliasing ?
    Noise ?

DVD is never to look as good as the HD version

If you can't describe it, or English isn't your native language, then post a sample of the source and the DVD output
    have Too blurry,Noise,and no sharp
    Quote Quote  
  23. Is there noise in the HD version ?

What kind of "noise" ?

What bitrates and settings are you using ? Post your sequence settings, file interpretation settings, render settings

50p isn't supported by DVD, so it's going to become interlaced 50 fields/second . What kind of deinterlacer is used will partially determine how sharp/blurry it is
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please post a 10 second sample here in the forum.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Click image for larger version

Name:	pic.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	23654
    Is there noise in the HD version ?

What kind of "noise" ?

What bitrates and settings are you using ? Post your sequence settings, file interpretation settings, render settings

50p isn't supported by DVD, so it's going to become interlaced 50 fields/second . What kind of deinterlacer is used will partially determine how sharp/blurry it is
    2pas VBR 7500 -8500 this time is rendering is the first test with this encode waiting for 2cd pass
    Last edited by avid; 18th Feb 2014 at 11:32.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I would abort the encode because you're encoding progressive

or Did you intend to make a 25p DVD (1/2 the motion) ?
    Quote Quote  
  27. my project in premiere is progressive and the video is 960x720 with 50fps
    Last edited by avid; 18th Feb 2014 at 11:52.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see chroma 4:2:2 - is this valid for DVD ?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by avid View Post
    my project in premiere is progressive and the video is 960x720 with 50fps
    Again, 50p is not supported by DVD

But you need a 50p project to make an interlaced 50 fields per second DVD

Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    No, but HCEnc will downsample it properly to 4:2:0, provided the correct interlaced/progressive switches are used
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    i don't know
    Quote Quote