VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ill make it short and simple

I have been using MakeMkv to rip my blu ray collection. I looked at the ripped MKV file in VLC and it is showing a bitrate of 5-6 mbps with a file size 3-4 gb. Now for some, this is perfect because it is a good looking rip, its one file AND its small enough to store a lot of blurays on a hard drive.

I am assuming and hoping that the bitrate of the original blu ray disc is much higher. I have had a few friends share some movies with me and the bitrate was 30mbps + Questions....

1. Are there optimal settings in MakeMkv that will do the highest quality rip possible with size not being an issue, closest to the bitrate/quality of the source.

2. Are there alternatives (paid) programs that will maybe have more advanced settings to get files with higher bitrates.

3. I need clarification, what are the aspects of a good quality rip with awesome picture sound etc. Maybe I am putting to much thought into the bitrate.

Thanks and God bless.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Makemkv just rips/decrypts and copies the video into a mkv. It does not reconvert the video so you can't change the bitrate.

BUT 3-4GB sounds very small for blu-rays?

Are you sure you mean MakeMKV from www.makemkv.com ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. We'll now it's a paid program so Im using a ill old version my friend gave me the .exe. It's definetely the right program.

Do you think how old the disc are might have something to do with size and bitrate of the output file??

Why are all my rips so small. I was wondering if there is a way to optimize quality settings in MakeMkv or do I need a more advanced program. I'm not meaning to sound like I'm having tunnel vision regarding size and bitrate. Nevertheless, i have seen Mkv files 30-50 gb with very high bitrates
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How big are the blu-ray films? Browse the blu-ray with windows explorer.

And latest makemkv is free in beta mode and has been that for several years now. See http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

But you can also use anydvdhd or dvdfab to rip to a single iso. But they aren't free.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Everytime I try install the new makemkv it's says theirs another version that is unauthorized on my computer.

So let me review and clarify some thing I think I've learned.

MakeMkv cannot be optimized to produce higher bitrate and quality rips, it's just exactly what the source disc was.

There are other programs that aren't free but might do a better quality rip?

Ripping to an ISO is the closest it will come to the source disc playback.

Any other options or comments
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have a cracked version installed? Uninstall or remove it.

"Just exactly what the disc was" is the best quality you will get.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The source disc (the Bourne identity) is 42 gb. My out put file that mkv ripped is 4gb?? Are my settings wrong? Is there a better program that might cost?

Thanks for your time and patience on this matter
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What version? Under Help->about in makemkv.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Ok I just found an activation code for the new beta version. I also found the output folder for the older version.

There is a folder with a mkv file of the whole movie and that single file is 5.4 gb. then there is a separate folder with tons of smaller mkv files that equal 65 gb?
    Quote Quote  
  10. oh yea and the smaller files have a bitrate as high as 40 mbps
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You should just get one mkv if you choose the main title in makemkv.
    Quote Quote  
  12. im going to rerty the rip with new 1.8.8 legit version. Any suggestions on settings before I begin?
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Southern and educated View Post
    im going to rerty the rip with new 1.8.8 legit version. Any suggestions on settings before I begin?
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    You should just get one mkv if you choose the main title in makemkv.
    That.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Southern and educated?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I really wonder why using makemkv while mkvmerge can do same thing and it is free again. when i used it to make mkv files. does not change any thing in the movie and give the same result in the bluray movie..
    you can not make any change while using makemkv
    Quote Quote  
  16. 1. Because MakeMKV can decrypt. Mkvmerge cannot.
    2. At least for some users MakeMKV seems to work more consistent with DVD/Blu-ray than mkvmerge. It is more tested in that regard as that's its main purpose. For example it has special handling for overlapping audio frames found on discs using seamless branching.
    Last edited by sneaker; 20th Nov 2016 at 06:34.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by rzainaddin View Post
    you can not make any change while using makemkv
    Yes you can. MakeMKV can convert most of the audio you'll find on discs to FLAC or LPCM as it rips.

On the fly audio conversion.

I've barely used MakeMKV myself, but I've ripped a couple of DVDs with it and from memory it automatically detects the individual titles and each one is output as an MKV. If your disc has six episodes of a TV show it'll rip to six MKVs. MKVMerge can append or split vob files while muxing but I'm pretty sure it can't open IFO files to split the output into individual PCGs automatically, it can't read encypted discs, and unless my memory is bad when you open a vob file MKVMerge will only display the video and audio streams. If you need to extract the DVD subtitles or chapters you have to do that separately yourself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've used MakeMkv for my entire DVD and Blu ray collection and the main movie always has subtitles and chapters. I then review the MKV file and run it through MKVMergeGui and remove any tracks I really don't want. In a few cases where the original disc didn't have subtitles or chapters, example "The Graffiti Artist" I have added them. I paid for the program so I have a permanent
    license so i don't have to muck around every month or whatever to update it. Works nicely.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote