VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I need help trying to clean up this film, I attached a sample below. Throughout out the film I noticed alot of noise I think around certain objects. Any avisynth filter can clean this up abit. The file says its progressive but I think its interlaced. Thanks alot for your help.

The source is from a dvd.

Examples:

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That problems is caused by using too low of a bitrate,not much you can other than re-encode with a softening filter for mosquito noise.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    That problems is caused by using too low of a bitrate,not much you can other than re-encode with a softening filter for mosquito noise.
    Ok thanks for your help ill google around
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's a mix of hard and soft telecine, with some true video and some weird crap maybe caused by it being edited on video. I don't guess the body of the movie is like this so you probably want to make it 23.976fps. A standard IVTC (with strong post-processing) will leave a few parts playing jerky.
    Quote Quote  
  5. A lot of the "noise around objects" is known as "dot crawl" . Read up on some dot crawl filters and approaches to deal with it .
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That's not dot crawl,it's mosquito noise as i stated.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    That's not dot crawl,it's mosquito noise as i stated.

Did you examine the video ? Or just the lossy jpeg image which distorts the dot crawl artifacts?

The "artifacts around certain objects" that he's probably referring to are mostly dot crawl. Yes, there is also some mosquito noise , macroblocking and DCT ringing, but he's probably not referring to that

Name:  dotcrawl.gif
Views: 1052
Size:  110.4 KB
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I was referring to the image he posted as a closeup,Its the same as in the video.That's mosquito noise,the dot crawling is bad enough but its the closeup pic that the op was referring for the artifacting,not any dot crawling.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    I was referring to the image he posted as a closeup,Its the same as in the video.That's mosquito noise,the dot crawling is bad enough but its the closeup pic that the op was referring for the artifacting,not any dot crawling.
    Yes, there is some mosquito noise and you're looking partly at jpeg compression artifacts (it looks like he took some jpegs then zoomed in and took a png screenshot, but the degradation is in the original jpeg), and there are other types of noise - but it's mostly from dot crawl .

It's not from using too low of a bitrate. Using a lossless encode from the source before the DVD would just preserve the dot crawl artifacts more

Here is a PNG of roughly those frames on that cropped area

Click image for larger version

Name:	dotcrawl2.png
Views:	436
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	23636
    Quote Quote  
  10. okay thanks alot for your help whats a good dot crawl filter?
    Right now im playing around with Checkmate and Tcomb
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Difficult to say, I guess CheckMate and TComb are the least damaging. But nothing's going to be all that effective, and you can't use resizing techniques with the blends and hard telecine. Looks like someone treed to field-blend deinterlace instead of inverse telecine (or something similarly weird). The dot crawl looks like effects from an AVT-8710 external TBC on the verge of burnout. It's not just on the edges: you'll see a fine-grained dot crawl matrix everywhere in the image, especially with reds.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 07:05.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Try something like:

Code:
    Mpeg2Source("Intro.d2v", CPU=6, Info=3) 
    CheckMate(thr=10, max=20, tthr2=0)
    BicubicResize(480, 480)
    QTGMC(preset="fast")
    MergeChroma(aWarpSharp2(depth=5), aWarpSharp2(depth=20))
    FFT3DFilter(sigma=1.0, bt=3, plane=0)
    Sharpen(0.5,0.3)
    nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline64Resize", fwidth=720, fheight=480)
    The result is slightly blurred and there's a slight loss of detail.
    Quote Quote