VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a 720x480 AVI created in Premiere I've been trying to convert into html5 video for the web. I'm looking to scale it down to a 320X240 size.

I've managed to get a really good WebM file and a really good mp4 file. I also have created a flash video fallback. All 3 at 320x240.

But I haven't been able to get this with Ogg. I've tried a few programs: Mediacoder, Super and Sorenson Squeeze trial ware. All have settings for 320x240 but the output video is 720x480 and looks blurry and pixelated.

Is there something I'm missing here?

I don't really know at this point that Ogg is really necessary for html5 video, but it seems there are a couple of browsers that still need it.
    Last edited by StrobeLightEpileptic; 15th Feb 2014 at 22:03.
    Quote Quote  
  2. This may help you: http://www.pazera-software.com/products/ogv-converter/
    (a portable version exists - see link on page). I have used it with great results.

Some info here: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_video.asp - (which you are probably well aware of).

It suggests that all major browsers should be covered with a combination of MP4 and WebM.
    Last edited by transporterfan; 16th Feb 2014 at 03:50.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by StrobeLightEpileptic View Post
    ... I don't really know at this point that Ogg is really necessary for html5 video, but it seems there are a couple of browsers that still need it.
    I've never heard of such a thing. Ogg Vorbis looks to me to be one of the least commonly used open source media formats there is. Do a search on this forum for ogg and see how many hits you get. Not many.

Ogg media is often mentioned in the linux world because it's totally open source. But even there I can't remember ever seeing anyone mention it on any support forums, and I read those a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't really know at this point that Ogg is really necessary for html5 video, but it seems there are a couple of browsers that still need it.
    html 5 browsers can play webm and ogg/ogv inherently, without flash-player installed.

Last time on linux I have used Thoggen to test some dvd to ogg, ffmpeg2theora may help you.
    Last edited by enim; 16th Feb 2014 at 10:24.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Seems to me I used VLC MediaPlayer once to convert to ogg...Worked OK
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks transporterfan, that program worked like a charm. But there was one thing I noticed. When I played the file within a browser everything was fine.

But when I played the file directly with VLC the video was it's original size and pixelated like the other attempts.

So, I'm wondering if all those other attempts I made were just as good but needed to be modified by html code.

Zoobie. I also tried VLC and got the same result. But, again, I think all those previous attempts needed html code to display properly.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The best article I have read concerning video/audio compatibility using HTML 5 was this one by the Mozilla Development Network:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/HTML/Supported_media_formats

There is a nice tabbed layout near the bottom of the page with all the browsers and their capabilities (desktop and mobile OS). As expected Internet Explorer sucks. What a surprise...

Edit: The HTML controls the display 'box' area within a browser as you assumed. As a side note any video rendered at 320 horizontally will suffer when upscaled to, say, =>720. The method is to render larger (bigger file) and display it smaller. Otherwise, like if you go full screen, it will look like crap. Try increasing the bitrate also.
    Last edited by transporterfan; 16th Feb 2014 at 12:29.
    Quote Quote