VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newsgroup guy View Post
    By the way, hey, speaking of which, what's so bad about Windows 98 FIRST edition? Why should it be avoided at all times?
    What's so bad? Pretty much everything. One of the smartest PC guys I know explained this to me some years ago - he said that Microsoft HAD to put out ME to fix many horrible problems with 98 and if given a choice, you should use ME instead. So the fact that ME is really and truly nothing more than a patched 98 says all you need to know about how "good" 98 is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    once you turned off a couple buggy things in winME like automatic system restore it wasn't too bad.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sure, sure, I understand ME was meant to improve on 98, but I was asking about 98 FE (First Edition) versus 98 SE (Second Edition).

A lot of people say "if you're going to use 98, use 98 Second Edition." What's so bad about the first release of 98 - and this must be true, because FE is so hard to find nowadays! - that it is to be avoided?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Didn't they only start to implement better USB (2.0?) support in SE?
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    Didn't they only start to implement better USB (2.0?) support in SE?

Is that the only thing that's better in Second Edition?

Because I've tried to enable USB 2.0 support on a recent installation of Windows 98 SE (on a 2003-2004-ish Dell PC), for Lexar USB devices, and it didn't work anyway.
    And, besides, if I use VMware I can just install the VMware Tools and just drag and drop from the host OS without any need for USB support in Win98.

Any other big differences between SE and FE?

Thanks.

EDIT: Hey, I've seen a comedian do a(n arguably) somewhat enhanced version of your signature, if you're interested in modifying it at all: "If a camera adds ten pounds, stop eating bloody cameras!"
    Last edited by newsgroup guy; 7th Mar 2014 at 06:26.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's been so long, all I remember is that I never did get SE. Here's what Wikipedia says about the changes, though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_98_Second_Edition#Windows_98_Second_Edition

As a side note, you might also be interested in the KernelEX Project (even though it probably hasn't been updated in a while, and it looks like most of the more recent reviews were written by bots).

There's probably dozens of variants of my signature.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Interesting...

Cool, thank you very much. I don't know why I didn't think of Wikipedia, too...

So, the upgrades between SE and FE are of very little importance to me. I'll try tracking down the First Edition, then, just for fun.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As a (former) user of all 3 of those OSes, I have to completely disagree with the above assessments.

98 was so-so, but problematic.
    98SE fixed nearly ALL those problems and worked great. In fact, it was still routinely used in many businesses (including some that I worked for) WELL into the XP years.
    ME was supposed to be an improvement, but ended up being a major mess. Thankfully, it was a mess that could be cleaned up and run NEARLY as smoothly as 98, but one did have to do a number of more sophisticated tweaks to get to that point.

If I had to pick between using one of those 3 and didn't require the shell enhancements of ME, I would pick 98SE hands down every time.

Scott
    Quote Quote