VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd like to get PotPlayer to not start playing the next file it finds when the current file has finished. There seem to be a lot of little hiding places for settings in this program. Sorry, I know it's a pretty inane question, but here's an interesting thing - I have 2 copies of PotPlayer, one on the HTPC, another on my desktop machine. The desktop machine auto-plays the next file, the HTPC doesn't, and I STILL can't find this setting

Needless to say, any help appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Try: Preferences [F5], General, File open method: open selected file(s) only.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks! That leaves the player with a black screen and doesn't load the 'next' file, exactly what's needed.

The fact that I have two instances of PotPlayer and had previously figured this out for the HTPC but couldn't remember/figure it out, even given a running instance that did exactly what I want leads me to think
    * Potplayer has a menu structure that is arbitrary with options that are hard to find, or
    * I'm losing it

Probably both.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    There's quite a lot of features you can customize (a good thing), although that particular one should have been turned off by default. You should get familiar with the Playlist [F6] if you're not already, as you would have seen all the files being auto added there (a good clue).

I always save the settings to ini rather than the registry (clear the Daum registry key to be sure), and make a backup (Rar or Zip) early on while it's not too big or convoluted. Over time it can grow the more settings you tweak.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And having an ini file makes it easy to migrate settings, too. I've been using Potplayer for a while now but obviously haven't found a lot of its features. I like its approach to filter / codec management, the reason I started using it in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    This is a easy one for you to do.

Go to Preference
    Go General- File open Method: change to "open all file in folder"
    Go to Multiple instances (three down from method) change to " disable: play files in existing potplayer instance"

that should do it, if it doesn't work let me know.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm glad I know about the playlist now. My usual habit on the desktop is to drag a file onto Potplayer. The playlist (F6) then shows just that file because of the 'current file only' setting made earlier. With the other options being play all files in the directory, for eg, I just can't see why the single play wouldn't be the default. I specifically don't want to play all the files, just the one I initiated with the drag and drop. This is hardly a pristine install of Potplayer though, I may have changed this in the past and forgotten about it, so I'm not too hasty to fault it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    You don't need to drag anything. To only play the file you wanted too not every file in the folder that easy done. Once you open one file Potplayer will make a playlist of every file in the folder on the right hand side, pick what you want.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That just seems like another step that I don't have to do - the file I want is the one I just dragged and dropped, I don't see how then having to select it from a list is helping me. However, that seems to be me just being set in my ways.

My use case here is a directory full of episodes of a series, one season per directory. I've discovered a playlist will keep track of which episodes I've watched; that's very handy, and enough to get me to use playlists for these types of files and directory structure. I still need to save the fpl file for each directory it seems, but the 'played' flag is saved, so all up it's an improvement on my old actions.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just a folllowup note. I've found that the Playlist is quite a valuable feature. I've found that although F6 doesn't bring the play list, moving the mouse to the right edge of the Potplayer will. I run a dual monitor setup, and even when run full screen so the cursor move to the right and onto the second monitor, the Playlist still pops up, a nice touch of user friendliness. I do wish though, that it'd save a playlist in the current directory, including last file played, before it's closed, or the current working directory is changed.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    I don't get what you mean it make a play list of every file in the folder each time you start any file from that folder, You don't have to make a play list each time it does it for you. If you like, you can tell it to play the last file you had open, just go to pref startup. Also what setting do you have for your play list? Have a look under Pref / playback / play list.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Under Playlist | Play list settings I have only 'Save playlist automatically' checked, everything else in that section is unchecked.

Yeah I know it makes a playlist on the fly, out of either similar files or all files in the same directory. I was just saying that it's handy for me that it does so, because of the way my media is organised ie SeriesName\SeasonNumber\Episode so if I open one episode, Potplayer opens all the files for that season, and keeps track of what I've watched. That's great, an excellent feature and having it do that automatically for me makes it even easier. I was a little confused; the Playlist is turned on/off with F6, and when sitting at the blank blue daum screen - no file loaded - F6 will show/hide the Playlist. It doesn't do that when there's a file loaded, you need to both turn Playlists on and move the cursor off to the right of the window/screen.

Other niceties, such as being able to hide the icons and file extensions - both useless in my case, and give me more room for episode names are more evidence, of what I had thought before; Potplayer is written and maintained by people who listen very closely to people who use it. The situation of having it recognise that even if the mouse cursor sailed off the screen onto the second monitor, it should still bring up the playlist is more evidence of that.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Happy you like it. It is a great program only problem I have with it now is when the next file start and makes it full screen after I just reside it for the episode before. In the past if you made it small the next file would play in the same size window.

As for your play list I would recommend you unpick save playlist. Find in the past it would make one mass play list (of all the folders you have played from). Unpick it will make a new one each time just of the folder you are in. That up to you. You have your file layout same as I do and I find that was best.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Alaemon View Post
    It is a great program only problem I have with it now is when the next file start and makes it full screen after I just reside it for the episode before. In the past if you made it small the next file would play in the same size window.
    This is not happening here. Backup your settings and try to reset the player in preferences.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alaemon View Post
    As for your play list I would recommend you unpick save playlist. Find in the past it would make one mass play list (of all the folders you have played from). Unpick it will make a new one each time just of the folder you are in. That up to you. You have your file layout same as I do and I find that was best.
    Where does this file exist? I've looked in my profile and in the cwd for the media file.

If I delete it, will it 'forget' the play metadata that it's saved like files already watched etc? That would ruin a perfectly nice feature.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Are you running the new version sheppaul. As I know 5 other people running the new version like me and having the same problem, so if you know how please share.

emueyes I would have to have a look to see where the file for the play list is.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Alaemon, it would be nice to know. It'd be easy enough to set up an AHK script to save a playlist for each season for example, so I can get what I want that way.

Large files as such don't particularly worry me, as long as they're accessed in an efficient manner and don't keep me waiting whenever I open Potplayer.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm always running the latest version. Alaemon, did you try what I'm saying? What's the result? By default, potplayer starts playback with 1x screen size. It can be configured in preferences -> playback section.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    sheppaul I don't think you are getting me. I already have it set to go full screen. When I open a file I want it to go full screen so I have it that way. What I was saying before is after I have a file playing I sometime resize the window so I can do other things why still watching. With the older player if I was watching something in the resize window when it finish and the next file started. It would stay in the resized window. What is happening now is once the next file start it jump back to full screen.
    Quote Quote  
  20. There is another option for entering into full screen when starting the player.
    http://en.kioskea.net/faq/25156-daum-potplayer-automatically-start-in-fullscreen-mode

What you're using is an option for starting playback: The player goes to full screen whenever playback begins.
    You must disable it in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    I get it now. Got it Thanks it was such pain. Why that was changed I don't know but you just made a lot of people happy here.
    Quote Quote