VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a rip of "Rugrats in Paris: The Movie" from my own personal DVD. It has Dolby Surround as a audio option, and from what I've read, it can be encoded into 5.1 by some decoders that can be bought online. So I was curious if there was software that could decode it to a new audio file. I'd prefer it to be free, but I doubt that, so a low price would be fine. Would I actually have to record the channels directly through a decoder? I'm not very tech-savy in this area, so I apologize if this is a stupid question. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What do you mean by "decode it to a new audio file"? Are you asking if you can extract the audio only? Yes, that can be done. What format (MKV, AVI, etc.) is your video in now?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, I want the audio tracks to be decoded out of the video into a AC3 file. The file format is currently AVI.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    STOP saying "decoded". That's NOT the right term.

You can use VirtualDub to demux your audio out of the AVI file. Other programs may possibly be able to do this too. You can search online for how to use VirtualDub to demux your audio. "Demux" is the word you want to use.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm sorry, I had no idea. Will it demux the Dolby Surround into a 5.1 track? According to the DVD, it's a Dolby Surround 5.1 Track. That's what I need.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Demuxing is lossless operation as it only extracts original streams. If your original stream in AVI is DD 5.1 it will be extracted into DD 5.1 AC3 file. Decoding will give you uncompressed PCM 5.1 in WAV container and re-encoding (transcoding) can give you DD 5.1 AC3 but with quality loss.

If you just want to demux audio you can use TAudio Converter and set option to Copy audio.
    Quote Quote